Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - what's good and what's bad?

Sydney - what's good and what's bad?

Old Feb 5th 2011, 6:57 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - what's good and what's bad?

Originally Posted by Jon77
I have roasted on a Sydney train manys the time.
this is supposed to change in a year's time with the delivery of the new waratah trains that will replace the old silver trains. although delivery was delayed by supplier due to computer glitch. i have no problems with CityRail most of the time maybe because our line (the red Northern Line) is not that crowded and its just a 40-minute commute and the trains are airconditioned 99% of the time. every morning my only dilemma is whether to sit upstairs or downstairs.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:35 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

To decide between the two go to a suburb you can afford and see what the commute and lifestyle is like for you.

For Sydney siders Melbourne seems to be a rainy hellhole and when it stops raining the surroundings go up in fire. Melbournites are jealous of Sydney and the only thing they can come up with is they do not like Sydneysiders. Prejudices now stop.

I could live in either but I find Sydney's more even climate agreeable.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

TamerSalem is an unknown quantity at this point

I would choose Melbourne over Sydney, first of all, the people are much much warmer in Melbourne than in Sydney, and believe me, it's an important thing for a migrant. Second of all, Sydney prices are ridiculously high specially when it come to housing. In addition, Sydney has a bad infrastructure, transportation is worse than Melbourne and the roads are below standards.

On the other hand, Sydney has better and more beaches than Melbourne, and wheather is slightly better.

I suggest that you stay for a while in both cities before making any long term commitments, after all, the differences are not huge between both cities and in the end, it comes down to personal preferences.

All the best!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Just look on www.domain.com.au for prices. I think you would need to double it at least for a 3 bed house with the criteria you want.
this isnt a bad 3 bed town house on the northern beaches for $580
http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo.../?adid=6913159

I lived in Newport for a couple of years and would say this part of the northern beaches is about an hour commute to the CBD
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
this isnt a bad 3 bed town house on the northern beaches for $580
http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo.../?adid=6913159

I lived in Newport for a couple of years and would say this part of the northern beaches is about an hour commute to the CBD
I love Newport, but I do not think it is commutable to CBD within an hour. Well not unless one drives and works odd hours. We are in Collaroy, the bus takes 45 minutes at 6.15 and with a bit of walking each end and waiting for a bus and traffic it is manageable within an hour. I think I would allow for about 90 minutes on average from Newport.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I love Newport, but I do not think it is commutable to CBD within an hour. Well not unless one drives and works odd hours. We are in Collaroy, the bus takes 45 minutes at 6.15 and with a bit of walking each end and waiting for a bus and traffic it is manageable within an hour. I think I would allow for about 90 minutes on average from Newport.
true, I used to leave the house at 6:30 and it would take me 45 mins to get to Gladesville where the work depot was.
saying that a couple of hours later it could take that long to get down to Manly.
I think the good thing about the top of the northern beaches area is the easy access to North Sydney via that back road that goes from Mona Vale (via Frenches forest )

its about 7 years ago since we lived at Newport so im sure things are alot worse.
I found it interseting checking the rental prices, always been expensive even when we were living there £350 p/w would only get you a 1 bed unit.
but then, if i was living in Sydney i dont think i would live anywhere else.
Collary is a great spot, when we first landed from the Uk we stopped with friends at Narrabeen before the move to Newport.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

personal opinion only of course but I love Sydney. I love everything about it that I can think of. It has a beautiful climate (my reaon for moving to Australia), great places to eat, great places to walk my dog, lots of different things to do at weekends. the coast up and down are great for camping, the blue mountains are close, fares are cheap to the rest of Australia, to me it felt like I was "in the middle". The harbour is its biggest selling point - its a wonderful feeling to drive around any day and see the beauty around you. I found it incredibly friendly and made heaps of friends - I particularly loved sharing a glass of wine at the park in the evenings when I walked my dog. Lots of things to do when you don't have money.

I don't particularly like melbourne, know lots of people who do. Its that greyness that is supposed to be imaginary but i felt it. Its quite often colder.

The bad things in Sydney are: house prices (our only reason for leaving, starting a family and wanting a family home without leaving what I considered to be the place to be just wasn't an option for us). I didn't want to rent forever. If I had my time over I would buy something before the kids and do it up but I didnt because I wasn't sure what I was doing - I would have bought something not to live in but to get us going.

traffic - yes its there, didnt bother me. My husband drove all around - he said he thought it was very bad but you can always "find another way". when we first moved to Brisbane he wanted to slit his throat. Just going to work in the day and living pretty central, I thought the traffic was fine - never put me off driving which I wouldnt have done when working in London.

good luck wherever you go
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Sydney and now in Perth and loved my time in Sydney. Great city. One of the true great cities of the world. It has its problems with things like traffic, but so do other cities.

We werent that bothered about living near the beach as personaly i dont rate the Sydney beaches at all. Probably a 2-3 out of 10 and that been kind.

But amazing city. Have a look at a new suburb called Breakfast Point. Great place to live and a nice easy 25 mins on the ferry to the CBD and close to other areas that are great for shopping such as Burrwood.

You probably wont get a house there in budget but you can pick up an amazing appartment with views of the bridge
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

got some great advice here, esp jon77's long post on 1st page. One guy summed it up - if you can afford to live here why would you go anywhere else. Its a big IF though but hopefully we can all find somewhere 15 mins from beach, 45 min commute etc. Thats what everyone wants and prob why its so expensive