Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In Sydney, What Do I Positively, Have To, Have To See And Do?

In Sydney, What Do I Positively, Have To, Have To See And Do?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:44 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default In Sydney, What Do I Positively, Have To, Have To See And Do?

I've been there before and done a lot of the touristy sruff but I reckon there's still a lot I missed out on which I intend to do if/when I get back soon. Recommendations?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future
Default Re: In Sydney, What Do I Positively, Have To, Have To See And Do?

Scruffy Murphys on a Saturday night is a must see, if you can't get in there then St Patricks on King street should do nicely, at both venues you will need to get there early to find a place to rest your elbows, if that makes sense.

As regards culture, One cannot go past the new Westfield Bondi Junction shopping centre, apparently in the ladies (so my female friends tell me) you can see the Harbour Bridge whilst taking a leak, (if you stretch), obviously as a Bloke you should not have to stretch unless you still pee sitting down.

A Harbour cruise on the Cap'n Cook is also a must, try for a Saturday Evening twilight cruise as that is the busiest and you are guaranteed to see the a fine example of gormless touristy conspicuous consumption by Asian tourists and the occasional Seppo. The Jakob's Kreek 2008 is also great!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:57 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of

If Scruffy's is a must see its changed from last time I was there!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by deryans
Scruffy Murphys on a Saturday night is a must see, if you can't get in there then St Patricks on King street should do nicely, at both venues you will need to get there early to find a place to rest your elbows, if that makes sense.

As regards culture, One cannot go past the new Westfield Bondi Junction shopping centre, apparently in the ladies (so my female friends tell me) you can see the Harbour Bridge whilst taking a leak, (if you stretch), obviously as a Bloke you should not have to stretch unless you still pee sitting down.

A Harbour cruise on the Cap'n Cook is also a must, try for a Saturday Evening twilight cruise as that is the busiest and you are guaranteed to see the a fine example of gormless touristy conspicuous consumption by Asian tourists and the occasional Seppo. The Jakob's Kreek 2008 is also great!
I believe that you need a Lonsdale Belt to get served in there dont'cha !!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Climb the bridge and/or walk around the top of the Centrepoint Tower

Take at least a day trip to Canberra
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:34 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

dont know if you went in the chinese garden? that is beautiful
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:37 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Ferry trip to Watsons Bay is a nice trip - you see lots of the harbour and there's fantastic fish and chips + nice walks once over there.

Depending on what time of year you're over whale watching (if the Japs haven't carried out 'research' on them all by then).

Endless national park both on and around the harbour - and of course further afield. Ku-Ring Gai just north, Blue Mountains west, Royal just south. All easily accessible and all spectacular.

How about some nice walks? Manly to Spit Bridge is excellent and you really get to see the harbour in a different light - you could be a million miles away from a big city. Also the walk from Bradleys Head (where Toronga Zoo is) round to Clifton Gardens/Chowder Bay is very nice. Great vantage points to view the harbour and a great little cafe or 2 at Clifton Gardens. Another great walk is the Bondi - Coogee walk. Spectacular walk along the ocean side through small bays etc.

Balmain's a nice place to get the ferry to and have a wander.

I believe Deryans comments are those of a bitter 'didn't work out for me - moving back to uk, Australia is awful' type person. Please accept my apologies if I am wrong but your post was neither helpful or warranted in this context.

Have fun!

Graham
Old Feb 20th 2008, 8:43 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

BLue mountains, must see.
Hunter valley wine country -must see
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The convict museum in the old barracks in Sydney's definitely worth checking out. Oyster and champagne lunch at the food bar in David Jones?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:12 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Scruffy Murphy's....man THAT takes me back! Phew...

My suggestion is touristy, but I really love the (taronga) zoo and the great view of the Harbour there.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
Banned

fedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nicefedupwithbritain is just really nice

Darling Harbour on Friday night.
The zoo across the water is a nice afternoon out.
Botanical gardens, look out for the thousands of fruit bats (flying foxes) in the trees.
Go for a bus ride to Bondi beach even a few topless girls there now.
Cruise down the river see how the other half live.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:48 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner
Ferry trip to Watsons Bay is a nice trip - you see lots of the harbour and there's fantastic fish and chips + nice walks once over there.
defo what he said! Take the slow ferry not the jet cat. The slow one goes in an out of the little bays along the way.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:06 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
defo what he said! Take the slow ferry not the jet cat. The slow one goes in an out of the little bays along the way.
if you go mid week, watch out that the last ferry back is roughly mid arvo (can still get the bus)
If you go the walk towards the lighthouse, you go past a nudie beach too!!

I also loved the Chinese gdns - an escape from the city in the city. Don't know how much damage the recent fire (arson) caused
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
If you go the walk towards the lighthouse, you go past a nudie beach too!!
Yup, but I think its male only though so depends if that floats yer boat!

The bus ride back is a nice trip anyway......one route goes via Bondi...the other has great city views on the way through the very noice suburbs.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:14 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yup, but I think its male only though so depends if that floats yer boat!
The person I saw was definitely male, so you maybe right

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.