Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney VS Melbourne

Sydney VS Melbourne

Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

Originally Posted by vickys
Where abouts are you Caroline?
Killara. Nice but pricey. (That's the suburb, tho my OH might say that's me as well!)
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Killara. Nice but pricey. (That's the suburb, tho my OH might say that's me as well!)
Female perogative (sp??) my dear, you keep it up!! I loved all round Jervis Bay when we were over in October but didn't have the privalige of the Northern suburbs. Once we move we'll be looking further north rather than the southern beaches.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Female perogative (sp??) my dear, you keep it up!! I loved all round Jervis Bay when we were over in October but didn't have the privalige of the Northern suburbs. Once we move we'll be looking further north rather than the southern beaches.
When are you coming over???
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

When are you coming over???
As soon as the bleeding house sells, it's been up since chuffin June and we haven't even had a viewer - we've tried two different estate agents and even paid this last one for the privalidge of trying to sell our house!!!

We were hoping to be there by august last year but hey life's a s0d at times, we have validated in October though so it's not too bad.

You enjoying it still hun? How was your first Christmas in the sun?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As soon as the bleeding house sells, it's been up since chuffin June and we haven't even had a viewer - we've tried two different estate agents and even paid this last one for the privalidge of trying to sell our house!!!

We were hoping to be there by august last year but hey life's a s0d at times, we have validated in October though so it's not too bad.

You enjoying it still hun? How was your first Christmas in the sun?
Loving it-Christmas was strange with no family around so we spent it quietly and the cooker refused to heat up the turkey joint, so it got zapped in the microwave and turned to rubber. Jumped in the pool after lunch despite it being a bit cold. New Year's Eve was amazing- went to OH's office which overlooks the harbour, drank champagne and watched the fireworks then spent the following afternoon on the beach -got a bit toasted as the sun was really strong. Picking aubergines from my garden ,but the possums have eaten all my tomatoes! DD has tamed wild birds that eat out of her hand. She isn't so good at clearing up the mess tho.
Have met up with some expats for coffee and chat which is great. We are a friendly bunch!

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jan 13th 2009 at 9:52 pm. Reason: extra info
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loving it-Christmas was strange with no family around so we spent it quietly and the cooker refused to heat up the turkey joint, so it got zapped in the microwave and turned to rubber. Jumped in the pool after lunch despite it being a bit cold. New Year's Eve was amazing- went to OH's office which overlooks the harbour, drank champagne and watched the fireworks then spent the following afternoon on the beach -got a bit toasted as the sun was really strong. Picking aubergines from my garden ,but the possums have eaten all my tomatoes! DD has tamed wild birds that eat out of her hand. She isn't so good at clearing up the mess tho.
Have met up with some expats for coffee and chat which is great. We are a friendly bunch!
Sounds lovely, i'm sooo jealous, we watched the fireworks on the tv and seen loads of photo's of them too if that counts!! Sorry for laughing at the turkey scenario but i couldn't help mself!!

Aubergines in your garden sounds great shame about the tomatoes though. Good on DD getting the birds to eat out of her hand, it always amazes me what children can do compared to our adults.

Meet ups in Sydney sounds fab, hopefully we'll be able to join in when we eventually get there

take care
Vic's
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

What I don't understand is why you would move 12,000 miles to find a "European climate" or a European style city?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:14 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
What I don't understand is why you would move 12,000 miles to find a "European climate" or a European style city?
I think theres a bit more to it than that
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I think theres a bit more to it than that

Thats why I asked!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:39 am
Just Joined

ducko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Of course there is

Riptide V Billabong

Melbourne was built on migrants over 100 years and therefore acceptance and moreso enjoyment of other cultures make Melbourne a far different environment than Sydney.
You've lost me here. I can't see how Sydney's migrant history is that different to Melbourne's.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 1:01 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Sydney is far nicer to me we have fab beaches north and south of the city lots of lovely places to visit
the cbd area is ok the harbour is great lots to see and do the weather is bearable not too hot or humid most of the time The people are friendly.

I have only visited melbourne but got the impression it was more like england and it was colder with acres of empty housing estates just like some places in sydney.
melbourne itself seemed more european and a work in progress building sites everywhere I wasn't madly impressed not a lot to see or do except sit in bars and cafes and despite what people say Syd has plenty of them too!! with a lovely sparkling harbour to view as well.
Sydney seems to have more variety. but thats just my opinion

I have found a village mentality where I live shop keepers say hi and wish me happy christmas etc south sydney is ace
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:13 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducko
You've lost me here. I can't see how Sydney's migrant history is that different to Melbourne's.
What was Sydney settled on? Prison which now flourishs with financial traders (ironic)

What was Melbourne settled on? Gold rush which in turn brought traders.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:08 am
Just Joined

ducko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
What was Sydney settled on? Prison which now flourishs with financial traders (ironic)

What was Melbourne settled on? Gold rush which in turn brought traders.
That's 200 years ago - not 100 years. Gold rush pfffttt - brought greedy, bigoted prospectors and a great deal of pretentiousness
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:11 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ducko
That's 200 years ago - not 100 years. Gold rush pfffttt - brought greedy, bigoted prospectors and a great deal of pretentiousness
just josling with ya

Some do say I live in the past
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I have only visited melbourne but got the impression it was more like england and it was colder with acres of empty housing estates just like some places in sydney.
melbourne itself seemed more european and a work in progress building sites everywhere I wasn't madly impressed not a lot to see or do except sit in bars and cafes and despite what people say Syd has plenty of them too!! with a lovely sparkling harbour to view as well.
Sydney seems to have more variety. but thats just my opinion

I have found a village mentality where I live shop keepers say hi and wish me happy christmas etc south sydney is ace
Melbourne is only marginally cooler than Sydney. The city has a VAST array of things to do, an art lovers heaven, as well as numerous festivals and events. Eclectic suburbs (yes, there are also vast housing estates - but you don't have to go there!) and pretty mountain and country villages. I always enjoy visiting Sydney, but very much doubt there is more variety.

I also live in a village (just 45 mins from the city) with a great community feel, a proper pub and even a theatre. On the doorstep of a national park (Dandenongs) with fantastic walks and scenery - usually get one day of snow up there in the winter, which we all love. We also have numerous lakes within 20 min drive and stunning bay beaches 40 mins away.

I think both Melbourne and Sydney are fab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.