Reload this Page >

Sydney V/s Melbourne

Sydney V/s Melbourne

Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:52 am
Maverick

myvkee is on a distinguished road
Default Sydney V/s Melbourne

Hi guys !

just wondering and confused between Sydney and Melbourne.
In terms of International Trade and Business (Export-Import), which is the best place ,Sydney or Melbourne ?

I'd like to make decision solely based on Employment and business opportunities between the two places and not any other factors.

Any comment is highly appreciated.

Ta
cheers:-)
Old Aug 14th 2005, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Sydney V/s Melbourne

Sydney is now effectively Australia's capital as far as international trade and business is concerned. When outside companies come to Oz with a view to setting up, they look round, see all the other ones that have set up there and do the same. It's a kind of network effect.

Melbourne still has lots of jobs though, and is Oz's media capital. Arguably, it has a higher quality of life for the person on an average or below average income (due to the lower house prices). For someone on a high income, they'd be similar I think.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 12:06 pm
Maverick

Originally Posted by Storini
Sydney is now effectively Australia's capital as far as international trade and business is concerned. When outside companies come to Oz with a view to setting up, they look round, see all the other ones that have set up there and do the same. It's a kind of network effect.

Melbourne still has lots of jobs though, and is Oz's media capital. Arguably, it has a higher quality of life for the person on an average or below average income (due to the lower house prices). For someone on a high income, they'd be similar I think.
Many thanks Storini, initially i m looking for employment opportunities so from your comment it is clear that still Sydney should be priority as i m from international trade background and no connection with advertisement and media.

please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks again
cheers :-)
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Regardless of what anyone (including me) says, you've got to do your own research for your particular circumstances. You should try http://www.seek.com.au/ and use various search criteria to establish what the opportunities really are in each place, and how the remuneration matches the local cost of living.

Good luck anyway!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 2:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Storini
Melbourne is more of a manufacturing city than Sydney is. Sydney has the lead in services.

Both cities have a fairly broad base of employment available.

The main differences are:

- climate. Melbourne is drier in summer and colder/wetter in winter.
- restaurants, shopping, theatres, sporting events, Melbourne is better for all of these
- transport system is better in Melbourne (both roads and public transport)
- on the other hand, Melbourne doesn't have the Harbour and ocean beaches that Sydney has. Although it does have Port Phillip Bay and ocean beaches are not more than a few hours drive away.

Jeremy
Old Aug 15th 2005, 7:40 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Melbourne is more of a manufacturing city than Sydney is. Sydney has the lead in services.

- restaurants, shopping, theatres, sporting events, Melbourne is better for all of these
- on the other hand, Melbourne doesn't have the Harbour and ocean beaches that Sydney has. Although it does have Port Phillip Bay and ocean beaches are not more than a few hours drive away.

Jeremy
Hhmm - I'm not really sure that I'd agree that Melbourne is better for restaurants, but I guess that's always going to be a matter of opinion. Shopping - that's not been my experience either, but I'm not one of the world's truly expert shoppers...
Old Aug 15th 2005, 1:34 pm
Maverick

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
many many thanks jeremy, CPW n storini ...really appreciate your opinion and comments. well open to any place that brings -u know whatever :-)

thanks again...cheers:-)