Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney v the rest...

Sydney v the rest...

Old Mar 28th 2003, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney v the rest...

I notice that most people who have had trouble settling in Australia seem to have lived in either Perth or Brisbane.

The positive posts are generally from people living in Sydney.

Obviously there have been exceptions.

But what do you think? Are Perth and Brisbane just too difficult to cope with? (Remote/hot/boring/parochial)
Old Mar 28th 2003, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sydney v the rest...

Originally posted by anzen12
I notice that most people who have had trouble settling in Australia seem to have lived in either Perth or Brisbane.

But what do you think? Are Perth and Brisbane just too difficult to cope with? (Remote/hot/boring/parochial)
I`m afraid this is going to be a rather one-sided reply, as I have only experienced Brisbane, BUT:

From what I have heard from people over here (friends, relatives etc.) Sydney is a much more "happening" place, more vibrant, much more "business-orientated" than Brisbane.

Unfortunately, this does come at a price - bad traffic congestion, ridiculously high real estate prices etc. - and they were two of the reasons we opted out of the UK for Brisbane!
Old Mar 28th 2003, 5:54 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

I've lived in both Newcastle (Which is near Sydney, just a couple hour drive away) and Brisbane - neither is for me (Australia isn't for me). But if I had a choice, I would prefer to live in Newcastle rather than Brisbane, it's got nothing to do with heat of Brisbane, but everything from the difference in People who I found more down to earth, to the countryside. Everyone just thinks of Newcastle as being industrial, but I found it, and the surrounding areas much nicer than here in Brisbane – From Stockton to Port Stephens, Nelson Bay, to Redhead to Swansea and lake macquarie – much nicer than Brisbane., and less packed.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 6:35 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

I'm not sure. Sydney is definitely a vibrant and 'business orientated' city, full of investment bankers and the like. Exactly the kind of thing most people hate about London. However, a comment a long term expat I work with, who recently moved from Melbourne Sydney, made rings true. He reckons that people in Melbourne are generally more 'settled' and that is self perpetuating - you move there, you make friends with settled happy people and this makes you feel settled and happy. However, in Sydney people are much more transient, almost every single person you meet under the age of 40 is passing through on their way somewhere else. This makes it hard to make real permanent friends and tends to contribute towards you yourself becoming a temporary resident. I've never lived in Melbourne, but thats what this English guy reckoned after a year in Sydney, before which he was in Melbourne for 9 years.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Sydney Melbourne = More to do

Sydney Melbourne = Not as hot Not as humid

Sydney Melbourne = Not as isolated

Sydney Melbourne = Bigger populations

Sydney Melbourne = Very Expensive housing

Sydney Melbourne = Very congested

Just like any country, the majority end up in the City.

Brisbane and Perth are probably picked by Immigrants for the cheaper housing.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

We live near Sydney and have no complaints, but then we have never been to any other city yet so can't really comment. We came to Sydney as there appeared to be more work available for my husband. And we just liked it here. We came from the South east of England so the congestion here is nothing really to us. We don't live in the city but about 25km away to the North/west. Husband works in the city and it takes him about 40mins to get to work on his motorbike and about an hour to get home. If I go into the city to meet my husband for lunch (which I do about once a week) then it takes me about 30mins to get into the city centre and parked (found a great car park for $10). He could get the city direct bus which takes the same time but he likes his bike!! We have settled in well here, but we will visit the other cities and you never know we might end up changing our minds but at the moment we are enjoying life here and are happy. Who says we have to stay in one place for the rest of our lives anyway!!

Mandy
Old Mar 28th 2003, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ceri
(Australia isn't for me).
Hi Ceri,

Just being curious here. Didn't you write a while ago you were building your own house where you live? If Australia, as you say, isn't for you, why are you staying? Where I live isn't for me, hubby doesn't care if we stay or go, but that's why we're looking at opportunities elsewhere.

Not having a go, just asking.

sashimi
Old Mar 28th 2003, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

I meant to add that yes the house prices are high here, but I have always said 'you get what you pay for'. We made the mistake of buying in a 'cheap' area in the southeast and regretted it. We had a nice 4 bed detached house only to find ourselves in a complete dive. So we have now decided that the area counts more than how many rooms you have in your house. We may only be able to afford a small semi here but at least we are in a nice area, it makes all the difference.

Mandy
Old Mar 28th 2003, 9:11 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by sashimi
Hi Ceri,

Just being curious here. Didn't you write a while ago you were building your own house where you live? If Australia, as you say, isn't for you, why are you staying? Where I live isn't for me, hubby doesn't care if we stay or go, but that's why we're looking at opportunities elsewhere.

Not having a go, just asking.

sashimi
Long story - we came here from Aus with a certain international engineering company - well it was a sister of the company we were with in Singapore. At the moment, yes we are building, but to make things worse we have switched companies - basically we at this moment are setting up a new company, a bit like our own business - but not - it's funded by one man, but we have the say of running it our way, and a share in profits (on top of the wages).

Why are we staying - we are not - we will get this house built (slab's gone down this week ) finish getting this new company up and running - then we will be selling the house on at a profit when the time comes to leave (we actually bought the land almost a year and a half ago but haven't started to build until now - another long story) , we definitely be moving back home within the next couple of years (two years is our realistic goal). It's just not practical for us to up sticks at this very moment in time.too much tied up here at this very moment.

cheers
Old Mar 28th 2003, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Herman
I'm not sure. Sydney is definitely a vibrant and 'business orientated' city, full of investment bankers and the like. Exactly the kind of thing most people hate about London. However, a comment a long term expat I work with, who recently moved from Melbourne Sydney, made rings true. He reckons that people in Melbourne are generally more 'settled' and that is self perpetuating - you move there, you make friends with settled happy people and this makes you feel settled and happy. However, in Sydney people are much more transient, almost every single person you meet under the age of 40 is passing through on their way somewhere else. This makes it hard to make real permanent friends and tends to contribute towards you yourself becoming a temporary resident. I've never lived in Melbourne, but thats what this English guy reckoned after a year in Sydney, before which he was in Melbourne for 9 years.
Yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one from my experience of both these cities. Friends of mine who moved from Melbourne to Sydney after finishing university invariably returned to Melbourne when they wanted to settle down.

I'm not sure about all these comparisons between Sydney and London though, apart from the importance of money and the superficiality these cities are miles different. Sydney is a wanna be americanised international city, London IS one of the world's great international cities and you don't get the impression that it is always trying to make itself out to be bigger or more important than it is.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

i think a lot of the problems poeple find they will find wherever they go to

if you are a city person you will struggle in perth or brisbane as it is not as happening as you are used to

if you are a country person you will struggle in sydney or melbourne as the pace of life and poeple will also not suit your needs

also people go where there are already like minded people, brits follow brits to perth or brisbane, greeks follow greeks to melbourne. if your so called tribe has made a good living and a respectable community in that area it will be a magnet for others

why does no-one settle in darwin??? its not that bad
Old Mar 28th 2003, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by danjon16
i think a lot of the problems poeple find they will find wherever they go to

if you are a city person you will struggle in perth or brisbane as it is not as happening as you are used to

if you are a country person you will struggle in sydney or melbourne as the pace of life and poeple will also not suit your needs

also people go where there are already like minded people, brits follow brits to perth or brisbane, greeks follow greeks to melbourne. if your so called tribe has made a good living and a respectable community in that area it will be a magnet for others

why does no-one settle in darwin??? its not that bad

Ever heard of the Darwin Awards - for the most stupid ways of killing yourself ever recorded! - I know they weren't actually named after THAT Darwin (more to do with evolution and survival of the fittest).... but what's in a name....need I say more
Old Mar 28th 2003, 8:55 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Devlin
Yes, I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one from my experience of both these cities. Friends of mine who moved from Melbourne to Sydney after finishing university invariably returned to Melbourne when they wanted to settle down.

I'm not sure about all these comparisons between Sydney and London though, apart from the importance of money and the superficiality these cities are miles different. Sydney is a wanna be americanised international city, London IS one of the world's great international cities and you don't get the impression that it is always trying to make itself out to be bigger or more important than it is.
Yes, very true. Most of the professionals in Sydney are second rate and talk up the city to try to attract foreign business. The talented professionals/management end up in New York or London. I have never worked on so many shambolic projects as here in Sydney. To me 'laid back approach' usually transpires into downright incompetence.
Its a 'branch economy' city - no real substance or permanence behind any of the glass towers adorning the harbour. Even the traditional pillars of AMP/CBA/Telstra etc are badly run fragile companies when you peel back a couple of layers.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

mx5rabbitohs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Devlin

I disagree - Sydney is one of the few cities that is international - ok not at the centre of the world, but still a city without making you feel you are lost - it is busy and a bit congested - but it is still quieter than London - and far more beautiful and people are more laid back ...its not Americanised as there are very few people up themselves there or taking themselves too seriously - in the main it is nice.

i love watching business people walk down the centre smiling and talking - less stress and less hurry
Old Mar 28th 2003, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

mx5rabbitohs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Herman
Yes, very true. Most of the professionals in Sydney are second rate and talk up the city to try to attract foreign business. The talented professionals/management end up in New York or London. I have never worked on so many shambolic projects as here in Sydney. To me 'laid back approach' usually transpires into downright incompetence.
Its a 'branch economy' city - no real substance or permanence behind any of the glass towers adorning the harbour. Even the traditional pillars of AMP/CBA/Telstra etc are badly run fragile companies when you peel back a couple of layers.
you're missing the point - people want to be laid back = so what if it's not all state of the art -that rat race is what causes misery in the first place!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.