Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney V New York

Sydney V New York

Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Hearnoevil82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney V New York

How does Sydney rank to New York? I am a 31 year old Scottish expat currently living in New York City working at a corporate job that provides a fairly decent salary. I have been living in NYC since 2006 and my company are currently sponsoring me for the green card although I have a 50/50 chance of it succeeding. As my US H1-B visa will expire at the end of the year, meaning that if the green card application doesn’t work out, I will also have to leave the US. I also have applied for the working holiday visa in Australia, meaning that if I decide to leave the US, I will have to do it by July 2014, when the working holiday visa begins. My question is how does Sydney (and Australia in general) compare to New York (and the US). I am really undecided but I have been for a while wanting to try a new place and new city that is less about the rat race but still has opportunities and also to enjoy a better quality of life. I guess there is also a part of me that worries about leaving a job behind as well as New York so I thought I would ask the forum if anyone has any advice.
Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:03 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney V New York

I've never been to New York but from everything I know about it I would imagine that Sydney has many similarities (large harbour, parks, multicultural society) but a totally different feel. Which part of New York are you thinking of - Manhatten, Brooklyn, Queens? And are you thinking of living in the CBD or out in the suburbs? What sort of interests do you have?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

I live in Manhattan in the middle of a busy neighborhood. Not in a rush to live somewhere equally as busy but not remote either. In terms of interests, I love traveling and exploring so there is part of me that I think would like Australia's outdoor culture. In New York, getting to the country isn't the easiest to get to from the city. As for where I would go, at this point I have no idea where about but I think if I would go, after traveling around the country I would end up in Sydney.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 10:40 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

So presumably when you say you're 31...you mean your're '30 and a bit'...otherwise you're not eligible to be granted a WHV?

Or when you say you've applied for the WHV you mean it was already granted?
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:40 am
Account Closed

dragon1954 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived in NYC (Forest Hills, Queens) and Sydney. I must say that I loved New york, the attitude, the people, the excitement etc etc but after 7 years the brutal winters really got to me! We left in 2006 just before the crash and before all the doom and gloom and returned to Sydney.

Manhattan can be very expensive - especially rents. Sydney rents are also very expensive, but you get much more for your money. Despite New Yorkers liking to give the impression of being hard workers, most of the people that I worked with in NY would be shocked at how hard Australians work. Also salaries are a lot higher here in Australia as well as sick leave and holidays being much more generous here. Also health care is so much cheaper and civilized.

A 31 year old old can have a very nice lifestyle in Sydney, especially if you earn a decent wage. The harbour and beaches are lovely, eating out is fun and a great place if you are into sport.

Overall, I loved living in the USA, both the East Coast and West Coast, but long term I would much prefer Australia.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:02 am
Just Joined

djmanu is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney will be boring compared to NYC and the US.
Salaries higher in Sydney ? Maybe for a minimum wage worker ...
If you are skilled, you will make way more in nyc.
Ho yes and realestate is one of the most expensive in the world, even NYC is cheaper.
I hope you'll get your GC
Enjoy
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djmanu
Ho yes and realestate is one of the most expensive in the world, even NYC is cheaper.
Enjoy
Sydney is Australia's biggest and brashest city but it will still feel pedestrian compared to New York. It is a sort of shiny outdoor version of a city. You may love it.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:46 am
Just Joined

Bcworld yes I'm 31 and have the Australian WHV approved but have to enter Australia before July 1st this year so am just trying to make a decision. Depends on the outcome of the green card application. Very indecisive!

Thanks everyone for the advice. If the GC application doesn't work out, I will likely come to Australia. As much as I like being in NYC, there is a part of me that wants to have a better quality of life and a change. I've never been to Australia but have heard great things about it.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 3:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hearnoevil82
Bcworld yes I'm 31 and have the Australian WHV approved but have to enter Australia before July 1st this year so am just trying to make a decision. Depends on the outcome of the green card application. Very indecisive!
Other people disagree with this, but one thing to consider is that the purpose of your WHV is for an extended holiday, with incidental work. It can be an impediment to seeking full time employment. An employer will not consider that you have unlimited work rights to work in Australia when your visa has a 6 months with one employer restriction.

Really what I'm saying is if you have to leave New York, by all means have the year in Australia...but consider that it may also be a career break...you might find yourself doing any kind of work. Most 417 holders will be working in casual, short term positions in particular types of work.

Last edited by bcworld; Feb 7th 2014 at 3:12 am.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the advice. If the GC application doesn't work out, I will likely come to Australia. As much as I like being in NYC, there is a part of me that wants to have a better quality of life and a change. I've never been to Australia but have heard great things about it.
I have spent a lot of time in New York in the past but never lived there. I would have loved to, but didn't quite pull it off although got pretty close once or twice.

If you are happy in NY and get the green card, then I wouldn't be walking away from that for a WHV in Australia. And especially don't move to Sydney because you think you will get a better "quality of life" or "work/life balance" or any other guff like that. These things are mainly down to you, not what country you are in. A surprising amount of people have the perception that everything is very laid back in Australia and nobody works very hard, but I have not found this to be true at all.

As to a comparison of the cities, well I find that very hard to do, they are just nothing like each other. Although, with London are my three favourite cities in the world.

Now I am in my 40s I appreciate being in Sydney, I like that it is not so crowded as London or New York, I like that it has a harbour and is close to beaches and there is enough for me to do. But knowing what I know about both cities, if I were 31 and living in New York and had the chance to move to Sydney - well there is no way.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djmanu
Enjoy

I wouldn't be so sure about the average salary being higher in NYState V Greater Sydney overall.

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/sna...102-28pfg.html

Skilled in what ? There is a breakdown for most categories.

http://www.bls.gov/ro2/qcew9310.htm

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 7th 2014 at 5:33 am.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

berserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of lightberserk is a glorious beacon of light

i would love to live in NY. i'm currently in sydney and i would swap places with you if that's possible.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

djmanu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I wouldn't be so sure about the average salary being higher in NYState V Greater Sydney overall.

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/sna...102-28pfg.html

Skilled in what ? There is a breakdown for most categories.

http://www.bls.gov/ro2/qcew9310.htm
Cost of living is more expensive in Sydney and for the salary, you will have to check for your position but if you are not a low wage worker, you should get more in NYC. (It's the case in IT).
Just wait to know for your GC application, if you get it, there's no way you should move to Australia.
If you want a more laidback lifestyle, no winter and cheaper cost of living, you have so many choices of cities in the US, it doesn't make any sense to move to Sydney ...

Last edited by djmanu; Feb 7th 2014 at 1:05 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for the feedback. I realized I forgot to mention the line of work I am in just now. I am working as a research analyst for a financial services firm. Does anyone know if there are many opportunities in Sydney and Australia more generally for these types of positions? Although that is where my experience is, I am open to other positions.
Thanks
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the feedback. I realized I forgot to mention the line of work I am in just now. I am working as a research analyst for a financial services firm. Does anyone know if there are many opportunities in Sydney and Australia more generally for these types of positions? Although that is where my experience is, I am open to other positions.
Thanks
I wouldn't have a clue. Don't work in finance. Never lived in NY myself but have visited no less than 30 times. Love the place and I have lots of mates there including my best friend. Those who I know who have all lived in NY and moved on have said this. NY has a shelf life and as you have identified its the rat race to end all rat races and it can wear you down over the years. But there is something about that rat race you love right? So moving on can be a good thing but you have to be prepared for a complete change of lifestyle. Whilst Sydney is Australia's largest and my always humble opinion the best city (watch the Melbourne hicks go nuts) it will feel like a country town in comparison. You will feel like the streets are deserted and it is a real hard adjustment. But it does work itself out when you settle in, get in a routine, and start hitting the beach in the evening rather than the bars.

As for salary well Australia has a salary cap. Its unofficial of course but unless you own your own business or have some good external means of making some extra cash getting to the top of a company is near impossible. Too many entrenched locals never willing to trade up their useless experience for yours. That said average salaries are very good so if you are an average guy, willing to kick back and do your 40 hours a week then the salaries will meet and go beyond your expectations.

Are you single? There's plenty of single, usually baggage carrying, ladies around your age group and there doesn't appear to be much competition around. The local ladies are hard work but coming from NY you will be used to the high maintenance thing.

Good luck with the green card. You won't go wrong trying Sydney. Just be prepared. 3 years now, first 6 months took some adjustment, but loving it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.