Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney v Melbourne

Wikiposts

Sydney v Melbourne

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:13 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney v Melbourne

Originally Posted by soapy
no way, u can do better than that, by the way, she just got a collection of bc on dvd , it might be going over your way soon if u delete

LMAO its done. You Blackmailer.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I could go a fullers, London pride at room temp now to be honest, as long as that was about 4 degrees C

Re Hubby, the most important thing if you migrate, is patience, Dont upset the other surrounding tradesmen, Play their game and get to know them. (they share out or refer jobs occasionaly)

i know Banks's doesnt travel well and i suppose Oz is a bit too far!!???

hubbie looks in The Age and various other job sites and to be honest, dont seem to be heaps of plumbers jobs which is a worry
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:14 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
LMAO its done. You Blackmailer.
ill need to delete ma last post noo lol
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
i know Banks's doesnt travel well and i suppose Oz is a bit too far!!???

hubbie looks in The Age and various other job sites and to be honest, dont seem to be heaps of plumbers jobs which is a worry
Best thing to do, is find a place, where you know there is a lot of work, any inner city locale should suffice, just rent as a temporary establishing measure. Phone up local big plumbers, or Air conditioning companies, learn the Aussie way of doing things, that will pay better than joing a labour hire company like addecco etc.

I know it's full of the Big unknown. One thing is for sure, as long as you fit in, and thats easy for the majority of people, you will be fine.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Best thing to do, is find a place, where you know there is a lot of work, any inner city locale should suffice, just rent as a temporary establishing measure. Phone up local big plumbers, or Air conditioning companies, learn the Aussie way of doing things, that will pay better than joing a labour hire company like addecco etc.

I know it's full of the Big unknown. One thing is for sure, as long as you fit in, and thats easy for the majority of people, you will be fine.

Hmmmm ... good advice - many thanks. we are ex-publicans so hopefully we are pretty amiable??!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm ... good advice - many thanks. we are ex-publicans so hopefully we are pretty amiable??!!!
I'm sure you sound the right type if there is such a thing, Phone up about 4/5 local plumber/aircon people, they always have small jobs they will put off because of too much work, 'specially the air con people in the summer. Tell them your situation open and honestly. If they are flush, they will probably start off with some tricky small job, and pay Cash in hand. At that stage is where your earn your reputation and will be so important. If you get through that ok, you will move forwards quickly.

Dont get caught in the trap, of working for Labour hire, and expecting this is what it is all about. What it is about is getting out and mixing with the locals
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

I'm sure you sound the right type if there is such a thing, Phone up about 4/5 local plumber/aircon people, they always have small jobs they will put off because of too much work, 'specially the air con people in the summer. Tell them your situation open and honestly. If they are flush, they will probably start off with some tricky small job, and pay Cash in hand. At that stage is where your earn your reputation and will be so important. If you get through that ok, you will move forwards quickly.

Dont get caught in the trap, of working for Labour hire, and expecting this is what it is all about. What it is about is getting out and mixing with the locals
is there much new build going on???

what do you do by the way??
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

is there much new build going on???

what do you do by the way??
They are creating suburbs, all the time here, so there is tons of work, Melbourne is spreading, North, west, and southeast all at the same time.

I'm a postal worker, on night shift, The reason I know about this, is I have a lot of freinds that are tradey's. Unfortunatly, my best mate, who was one of the first people I met in Aussie, was a refrigeration/air conditioning mechanic, I met him about 20 years ago, Via his wife who worked with my wife who are both nurses (both aussie girls). I met heaps of tradesmen via him, Like i said Unfortunatly he died from cancer at the age of 44 last year. Very sad but life goes on....

Anyway back to the point, all you have to do is mix, which with aussies isn't hard at all.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:00 am
Account Closed

They are creating suburbs, all the time here, so there is tons of work, Melbourne is spreading, North, west, and southeast all at the same time.

I'm a postal worker, on night shift, The reason I know about this, is I have a lot of freinds that are tradey's. Unfortunatly, my best mate, who was one of the first people I met in Aussie, was a refrigeration/air conditioning mechanic, I met him about 20 years ago, Via his wife who worked with my wife who are both nurses (both aussie girls). I met heaps of tradesmen via him, Like i said Unfortunatly he died from cancer at the age of 44 last year. Very sad but life goes on....

Anyway back to the point, all you have to do is mix, which with aussies isn't hard at all.

Cool!! I see a postal worker every morning and afternoon on the school run - i often think how lucky he is - most dads cant do the school run thing - not many jobs work that way!

thats tragic about your friend - life (or lack of it) can be a scary thing if you dwell on it. im constantly reminded of my own mortality and it freaks me :scared:

makes you want to live for the moment if nothing else!!

so, if my maths are up to scratch, you been over there 20 years + - WOW!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool!! I see a postal worker every morning and afternoon on the school run - i often think how lucky he is - most dads cant do the school run thing - not many jobs work that way!

thats tragic about your friend - life (or lack of it) can be a scary thing if you dwell on it. im constantly reminded of my own mortality and it freaks me :scared:

makes you want to live for the moment if nothing else!!

so, if my maths are up to scratch, you been over there 20 years + - WOW!!!!

Yes more than 20 years, loved just about all of it, when I first got here, bearing in mind it was easy to assimilate, as I have an aussie wife, and some cousins here. In fact, when I first got here, I used to have Nightmares about waking up back in England, Fair dinkum !!! But I think that was more a fear of being seperated from my new and beautiful wife, than anything else.

Back to the thread, make sure if you get here you choose your city wisely. Because as everyone here knows all those guys from the aussie version of queer eye are probably from sydney
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Yes more than 20 years, loved just about all of it, when I first got here, bearing in mind it was easy to assimilate, as I have an aussie wife, and some cousins here. In fact, when I first got here, I used to have Nightmares about waking up back in England, Fair dinkum !!! But I think that was more a fear of being seperated from my new and beautiful wife, than anything else.

Back to the thread, make sure if you get here you choose your city wisely. Because as everyone here knows all those guys from the aussie version of queer eye are probably from sydney
LOL!!!

we are hoping for STNI - Victoria and i am looking at maybe Mornington?? as we are currently in torquay surrounded by beach i wanted to be surrounded by beach over there!? am i barking up the wrong tree or just plain barking??
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL!!!

we are hoping for STNI - Victoria and i am looking at maybe Mornington?? as we are currently in torquay surrounded by beach i wanted to be surrounded by beach over there!? am i barking up the wrong tree or just plain barking??

To be truthful, Melbourne, more than any other city in aussie, i think ?? (Sydneysiders may have the same kind of divide) Has a real North/south Divide, consequently, as I'm north of the yarra, and Mornington is south of the Yarra, I cannot answer concisely. I Do know the beaches are beautiful on the ocean side down there, and the bay side is very pleasant.

When I go to the beach, rather than travel 1 hour plus to get to close to mornington, I'd rather head west, Avoiding driving through the city. To the Great ocean road, with less travelling time, which is world famous for It's appeal. One of the main towns that we head for happens to be called Torquay, Which is adjacent to one of the worlds premier surfing beaches in "bells Beach"

Lots of beaches down Mornington way, trouble is I dont know them sorry

You have so many choices on the beach side of things, that it is impossible to choose one as better than the other.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:45 am
Account Closed

To be truthful, Melbourne, more than any other city in aussie, i think ?? (Sydneysiders may have the same kind of divide) Has a real North/south Divide, consequently, as I'm north of the yarra, and Mornington is south of the Yarra, I cannot answer concisely. I Do know the beaches are beautiful on the ocean side down there, and the bay side is very pleasant.

When I go to the beach, rather than travel 1 hour plus to get to close to mornington, I'd rather head west, Avoiding driving through the city. To the Great ocean road, with less travelling time, which is world famous for It's appeal. One of the main towns that we head for happens to be called Torquay, Which is adjacent to one of the worlds premier surfing beaches in "bells Beach"

Lots of beaches down Mornington way, trouble is I dont know them sorry

You have so many choices on the beach side of things, that it is impossible to choose one as better than the other.
it sounds glorious, all of it!!! *sigh*

my husband comes home every evening and says "are we there yet?"

we could always move to Torquay - that would confuse them down at the Post Office!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:06 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

One popular misconception is that it rains a lot, In fact it rains a hell of a lot less here, than Brisbane or Sydney, and thats a weather statistical rainfall fair dinkum fact.

(bloody hope i dont have to go googling again to back this up lol)
Yes the difference is that Melbourne has more DAYS of rain but Sydney has HEAVIER rain. Rain here in Sydney is all at once!...but pretty infrequent. Melbourne rain is much like UK rain.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:31 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
Yes the difference is that Melbourne has more DAYS of rain but Sydney has HEAVIER rain. Rain here in Sydney is all at once!...but pretty infrequent. Melbourne rain is much like UK rain.

On checking the figures, Sydney does indeed receive nearly twice as much rain a year as Melbourne does (1,217 mm V's 653 mm). Interestingly though, it takes Sydney an average of 138 days a year to reach its total, and Melbourne 9 more days (147) to reach its! This would suggest that while Sydney is prone to heavy downpours, Melbourne receives more of its rain as drizzly showers. Canberra has the least number of "rainy" days a year with 105, and Hobart the most with 160. Tropical Darwin is Australia's wettest city with a yearly average of 1,714 mm. In contrast, Adelaide is Australia's driest capital with an annual average rainfall of just 558 mm.