Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney v Melbourne

Sydney v Melbourne

Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:51 am
FVC
Forum Regular

FVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the rough
Default Sydney v Melbourne

My husband is currently speaking to a Company in Aus regarding a job with a sponsorship etc.

We have our sights set on Syndey, visited there a couple of times, investigated the area know a few people and generally love it. However, there is a job in Sydney although working for an established company (based in Melbourne) he would be working with one other person and probably to start off with from home. He is in sales and would continue to work in the same industry. As he would be new the country and area it would take time to establish but would be a real challenge. ( Co may think risky as he does not have any contacts)

I also work in the same industry but a different type of job, I am more office based. It has been mentioned the Co may also have a job for me but it is highly unlikely this would be in Sydney as the head office is Melbourne. My husband has also been asked to consider Melbourne as the infrastructure etc is there to help and support him initially. ( Co is probably pushing him more this way)

We have been to Melbourne once for a short time while visiting Aus but can't really remember it only that it rains alot

So we now have to go back to the Company next week and tell them which City we would prefer.

Our hearts say Sydney but our head is saying Melbourne, we just can't decide at the moment. Neither of the jobs are guaranteed yet but if we go for Melbourne are we not compramising?

Does anyone have experience of both places that could give us some help?

Also, if you could let me know of the good suburbs in Melbourne to live probably looking to spend up to $550 per week in rent??

Apologies for rambling, but this is a difficult one.

Thanks again
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:10 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney v Melbourne

Originally Posted by FVC
My husband is currently speaking to a Company in Aus regarding a job with a sponsorship etc.

We have our sights set on Syndey, visited there a couple of times, investigated the area know a few people and generally love it. However, there is a job in Sydney although working for an established company (based in Melbourne) he would be working with one other person and probably to start off with from home. He is in sales and would continue to work in the same industry. As he would be new the country and area it would take time to establish but would be a real challenge. ( Co may think risky as he does not have any contacts)

I also work in the same industry but a different type of job, I am more office based. It has been mentioned the Co may also have a job for me but it is highly unlikely this would be in Sydney as the head office is Melbourne. My husband has also been asked to consider Melbourne as the infrastructure etc is there to help and support him initially. ( Co is probably pushing him more this way)

We have been to Melbourne once for a short time while visiting Aus but can't really remember it only that it rains alot

So we now have to go back to the Company next week and tell them which City we would prefer.

Our hearts say Sydney but our head is saying Melbourne, we just can't decide at the moment. Neither of the jobs are guaranteed yet but if we go for Melbourne are we not compramising?

Does anyone have experience of both places that could give us some help?

Also, if you could let me know of the good suburbs in Melbourne to live probably looking to spend up to $550 per week in rent??

Apologies for rambling, but this is a difficult one.

Thanks again

There only an hours flight apart so not the end of the world if you came to one & didn't like it.

I'm biased I live in Melbourne. Been on long weekend holidays to Sydney a few times, its beautiful but very rush rush compared to Melbourne.

I love sitting down Darling Harbour watching the world go bye but could never live in Sydney after staying in Melbourne.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FVC
Are they going to sponsor for a temporary or permanent visa? If it's only a temporary visa, make yourself very familiar with all the risks and downsides you will face:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

It sounds like if you want to work for *this* company, Melbourne is the place.

Advantages of Melbourne vs Sydney:
- better shopping, restaurants, theatres etc
- more sporting/cultural events
- heat in summer tends to be dry rather than humid
- real estate is cheaper (although salaries may be a bit lower)
- access to regional migration schemes (Victoria is keener on migrants than NSW)
- better transport system (both roads and public transport)
- closer to ski areas in winter

Advantages of Sydney
- much better weather in winter and spring (makes a big difference)
- Sydney Harbour
- beaches are closer (and water is warmer)

Differences
- Sydney culture is more 'American' than Melbourne
- Melbourne has more manufacturing industries, Sydney more service industry

Jeremy
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:16 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Disadvantages for Sydney" You might meet Soapy.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:18 am
FVC
Forum Regular

FVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the rough

Thanks, thats given us some more to think about.

Can you recommmend any areas in Melbourne to live, so I can start investigating .

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:20 am
FVC
Forum Regular

Am I naive but who is Soapy?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:28 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by FVC
Am I naive but who is Soapy?

Hes the Scottish bugger that arranges the Sydney meets.

For more info on Melbourne have a look at Britvics site.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

One popular misconception is that it rains a lot, In fact it rains a hell of a lot less here, than Brisbane or Sydney, and thats a weather statistical rainfall fair dinkum fact.

(bloody hope i dont have to go googling again to back this up lol)
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
One popular misconception is that it rains a lot, In fact it rains a hell of a lot less here, than Brisbane or Sydney, and thats a weather statistical rainfall fair dinkum fact.

(bloody hope i dont have to go googling again to back this up lol)

but isnt it colder *Brrrrr* and less hours of glorious sunshine?

i mean, come on, over here in blighty we have at least 2 days of sunshine all year round!!! and we drink anti-freeze with our coffee most mornings!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:56 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Disadvantages for Sydney" You might meet Soapy.
ha ha ha ya nutter
who is soapy anyway never seen a photo of hin, have u ?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
but isnt it colder *Brrrrr* and less hours of glorious sunshine?

i mean, come on, over here in blighty we have at least 2 days of sunshine all year round!!! and we drink anti-freeze with our coffee most mornings!!

Yes I would agree, however substitute the word colder for more temperate.

One thing I will add, anyone that says they enjoy temps over 38.4 degrees (or whatever body temp is) has got rocks in their nong. I hate bloody sitting there and just sweating.

The perfect temp in my opinion is about 25 to 26 degrees C.

God I forgot all about anti freeze lol
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:01 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
hehehe, No somehow he avoids getting in the photos at the meets, probably because he takes most of them.

Happy birthday to Mrs Soapy BTW,

ps you canny delete this one.
ya rotten bassa, u better get rid of this or im in the sh!t lol
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:03 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by soapy
ya rotten bassa, u better get rid of this or im in the sh!t lol
You better tell her the computers broken until after the weekend.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:04 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes I would agree, however substitute the word colder for more temperate.

One thing I will add, anyone that says they enjoy temps over 38.4 degrees (or whatever body temp is) has got rocks in their nong. I hate bloody sitting there and just sweating.

The perfect temp in my opinion is about 25 to 26 degrees C.

God I forgot all about anti freeze lol

why do you think we have warm beer over here!! *Brrrrr*

as husband is a plumber, i guess he's more likely to find work in melbourne but hopefully its not burst pipes weather??!!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rooksie
why do you think we have warm beer over here!! *Brrrrr*

as husband is a plumber, i guess he's more likely to find work in melbourne but hopefully its not burst pipes weather??!!!
I could go a fullers, London pride at room temp now to be honest, as long as that was about 4 degrees C

Re Hubby, the most important thing if you migrate, is patience, Dont upset the other surrounding tradesmen, Play their game and get to know them. (they share out or refer jobs occasionaly)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.