Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney: Transit lanes, nappies, calpol, fruit/veg markets

Sydney: Transit lanes, nappies, calpol, fruit/veg markets

Old Mar 26th 2006, 6:52 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question Sydney: Transit lanes, nappies, calpol, fruit/veg markets

Been here a month and got a few Qs

Transit lanes - does a child/baby count as a person in the car for the number of people required for T2 or T3 lanes?

Is it just me or do people just blatently ignore the people requirements for these lanes, just like they seem to do so (more than the UK - sorry did mean to start comparing Oz to UK) with mobile phone use?

Nappies - Seen no pampers, and huggies are atrociously expensive, so what brands do other parents recommend for their little darlings' smelly bum, and is there any particular shops you would normally buy them from?

Calpol - not seen it in the shops so I assume not sold here - if not, what alternatives would you recommend?

Markets - I assume there are some fruit & veg markets on the North shores (preferably around St Ives), so where are they (or somewhere I can get a list of them and the times)? Also where do you buy fresh fish - market or supermarket?

thanks
walaj
Old Mar 26th 2006, 7:15 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney: Transit lanes, nappies, calpol, fruit/veg markets

Originally Posted by walaj

Nappies - Seen no pampers, and huggies are atrociously expensive, so what brands do other parents recommend for their little darlings' smelly bum, and is there any particular shops you would normally buy them from?

Calpol - not seen it in the shops so I assume not sold here - if not, what alternatives would you recommend?

walaj
Nappies - Huggies are expensive and of a lesser quality. I eventually plumped for Baby Love (!!) which are OK by day, but if you have a heavy night time wetter they do reach their capacity!! So I used Huggies by night.

Calpol - I have been using Nurofen for children, and the paracetamol equivalent of Calpol, which is Children's panadol.

Can't help with anything else, as I live in Perth!!! But, great update on your other thread. We've been here almost a year now, and your thread mimics our early experiences exactly. Good luck with settling in, I hope your shipped stuff doesn't take too much longer than expected to get through customs.
The day our stuff arrived was fantastic!!
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:12 am
That's Dr Bitch to you

Sass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond reputeSass73 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help with much as I'm in Melbourne. Congrats on the new one on the way.
As you've got satnav, I'm assuming you haven't bought a Sydways yet? I've got the Melbourne equivalent - a Melways and it is much much more than an A-Z. It has lists in the back of shopping centres, markets and everything, plus touring maps.
Also, if you need new cheap clothes, check out Paddy's markets in the city - lots of cheap stuff but can't remember when its open.
Anyway, good luck with your new life and I hope OH's job goes well.

Sass
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:14 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
Nappies - Huggies are expensive and of a lesser quality. I eventually plumped for Baby Love (!!) which are OK by day, but if you have a heavy night time wetter they do reach their capacity!! So I used Huggies by night.

Calpol - I have been using Nurofen for children, and the paracetamol equivalent of Calpol, which is Children's panadol.

Can't help with anything else, as I live in Perth!!! But, great update on your other thread. We've been here almost a year now, and your thread mimics our early experiences exactly. Good luck with settling in, I hope your shipped stuff doesn't take too much longer than expected to get through customs.
The day our stuff arrived was fantastic!!
I agree, Baby love by day and Huggies by night.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:25 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Sydney: Transit lanes, nappies, calpol, fruit/veg markets

Buy biodegradable.

Click here.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Buy biodegradable.

Click here.
LOL, Just try buying them out here in the sticks. I can't always get the size I need in Babylove or Huggies! So every few weeks he has to waddle around like a weebal in something too big for him.

Back to the OP, Although I'm told the huggies here are not so good, they are better by a mile than snugglers and babylove. Basically with snugglers you'd be just as well off if you were to wrap the bub up in kitchen towel. Babylove are better but he gets a higher occurrence of sore ring with these. Huggies on the other hand never give him any kind of rash or redness, Nor ever leak through in the night.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
LOL, Just try buying them out here in the sticks. I can't always get the size I need in Babylove or Huggies! So every few weeks he has to waddle around like a weebal in something too big for him.

Back to the OP, Although I'm told the huggies here are not so good, they are better by a mile than snugglers and babylove. Basically with snugglers you'd be just as well off if you were to wrap the bub up in kitchen towel. Babylove are better but he gets a higher occurrence of sore ring with these. Huggies on the other hand never give him any kind of rash or redness, Nor ever leak through in the night.
We used Babylove on our last trip over, and although they were OK-ish, I did think the sizes were far too small. Bubs at the time was 4 months old and although his weight was well within what it said on the packet, they were definitely a tight fit. I really don't know what to do on our next trip now, as he is coming up to a year old, will I have to buy a bigger size than I think (he's currently in Uk size Maxi 4+). Anyone know?
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:10 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
We used Babylove on our last trip over, and although they were OK-ish, I did think the sizes were far too small. Bubs at the time was 4 months old and although his weight was well within what it said on the packet, they were definitely a tight fit. I really don't know what to do on our next trip now, as he is coming up to a year old, will I have to buy a bigger size than I think (he's currently in Uk size Maxi 4+). Anyone know?
He'll probably need 'Walker' size here then, Thats about 11Kg+
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

No real idea about makes of nappies, my girls thankfully are a tad past that but do remember thinking there was something wrong with first born because every baby I met were wearing Pampers and the mums were talking about them as if they were gold or something and first born just couldn't wear them, didn't fit, didn't last long.

Don't know what it was but decided that just as women struggle to find jeans that fit properly, babies have to find a nappy that works best for them. Get the smallest pack of all of them and try.

Ended up getting supermarket own for first born but they just didn't work for tiddler so went back to the drawing board
Old Mar 26th 2006, 12:39 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Buy biodegradable.

Click here.
There are also plenty of washable fabric nappies around.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 1:25 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney: Transit lanes, nappies, calpol, fruit/veg markets

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
There are also plenty of washable fabric nappies around.
Oooh yes, good point.
Old Mar 26th 2006, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Hi Walaj - you finally made it then!

Fresh fish can be bought from the fish and chip shops - haven't seen a dedicated fishmongers here.

I use washable nappies so can't comment on the others.

I always use the T2 lanes if it is just me and Laurence in the car - I figure that if I have to pay for him to fly anywhere because he is assumed to be taking up a seat, and therefore counts as a person in a seat in my car. I haven't been stopped yet to test my theory out. Not sure what the official line is, but I wouldn't worry about it. He is 2 years old now, but was only 7 months when we arrived.

Nurofen and Panadol are the main equivalents of Calpol, and Dimetapp for colds/coughs.

Can't help with fruit & veg stalls near St Ives. I just use the fruit & veg shop next to my local supermarket.

Catherine
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

If you write to the companies that make the nappies and explain that you are new to the country and could they send you some samples? They will quite often do that so you can try out their products.

A friend of my sisters, even though NOT new to the country, has done this and scored LOADS of freebies...
Old Mar 26th 2006, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

The fruit and veg shop in St Ives Village is excellent for quality and variety.

There is/was also an organic fruit and veg market held at the showgrounds every Wed morning.

Apart from that if you drive north on Mona Vale Rd to Terry Hills you will find lots of little farms selling produce direct on the roadside.

Don't know of a Fruit and Veg market like Walford if that is what you are after. Possibly look around Hornsby for a Farmers' market.

Queenie

Transit lanes - does a child/baby count as a person in the car for the number of people required for T2 or T3 lanes?

Is it just me or do people just blatently ignore the people requirements for these lanes, just like they seem to do so (more than the UK - sorry did mean to start comparing Oz to UK) with mobile phone use?

Markets - I assume there are some fruit & veg markets on the North shores (preferably around St Ives), so where are they (or somewhere I can get a list of them and the times)? Also where do you buy fresh fish - market or supermarket?

thanks
walaj
Old Mar 27th 2006, 12:12 am

gedge has disabled reputation

thanks
walaj
Transit lanes...
According to the RTA it's a 'person', age or size not specific.
156 Transit lanes
(1) A driver must not drive in a transit lane unless:
(a) the driver is driving:
(ii) if the transit lane sign applying to the transit lane is
a transit lane (T2) sign — a vehicle carrying at least
1 other person; or
(iii) if the transit lane sign applying to the transit lane is
a transit lane (T3) sign — a vehicle carrying at least
2 other people;
So you are right to drive in the T2, but you may find you get pulled over by the police if they can't immediately see that person. Unfair perhaps, but what can you do?

Nappies... can't help but look forward to learning all about this v soon.

Calpol... someone asked us to bring out a few bottles when we first arrived

Markets...
Try this yellow pages search (i hope it works). It shows one in St Ives and a dozen others 'near by'.
Harris Farm Markets
Shp 35-36 St Ives Shopping Village, 166 Mona Vale Rd St Ives NSW 2075
ph: (02) 9440 8717

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.