Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Traffic Question - The spit bridge

Sydney Traffic Question - The spit bridge

Old Feb 10th 2014, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Tooferrari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Traffic Question - The spit bridge

Hi, we (me, OH, daughters 6 and 2) are newly arrived in Sydney and are looking for advice about commuting.
My OH is working in Botany for about 3 to 4 months and then will be based in North Sydney, so we are looking to live North of the harbour. We are considering Seaforth and Balgowlah.
Please can anyone advise how congested the Spit Bridge gets during rush hour? OH starts work around 7.30/ 8.00 so would leave early.

We were caught up in traffic there on Sunday afternoon (maybe due to an event in Manly?), I just wondered what it might be like in rush hour?
Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sydney Traffic Question - The spit bridge

Spit has been a bottle neck for quite some time,if your out between 6- 6.30 in the mornings you will get through quite quickly after that be prepared for a bit of a wait ,Sydney traffic is pants at the best of times.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I find Spit junction and military road worse than spit bridge. In fact I have only ever been delayed at Spit Bridge if it has been up, perhaps that was the case when you were that way? Bridge stays down at commuting times.

Leaving for work that time in the morning and you hold have no issues at all, hard to avoid busy traffic in the evening though, no matter what time you leave. I have been doing a similar commute for 3.5 years now and it doesn't bother me at all.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree that miltary road/spit junction are worse than the bridge during peak period if my husbands comments are anything to go by - he's been commuting to Wollongong for the past couple of months.

I don't notice it myself as I jump the bus to the cbd.
Old Feb 10th 2014, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Tooferrari is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.
We were told that Sydney traffic is bad before we came over, so I'm surprised my OH even agreed to come as he is an impatient commuter!
He's had it easy for the past 3.5 years with a 25 min cycle ride to work in Auckland.

Anyhow it looks as though he'll be leaving early enough to avoid the worst of it - on his way in to work at least. Like you say coming back might be difficult to avoid the traffic.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooferrari
Hi, we (me, OH, daughters 6 and 2) are newly arrived in Sydney and are looking for advice about commuting.
My OH is working in Botany for about 3 to 4 months and then will be based in North Sydney, so we are looking to live North of the harbour. We are considering Seaforth and Balgowlah.
Please can anyone advise how congested the Spit Bridge gets during rush hour? OH starts work around 7.30/ 8.00 so would leave early.

We were caught up in traffic there on Sunday afternoon (maybe due to an event in Manly?), I just wondered what it might be like in rush hour?
Thanks.
I stayed in spit junction when I first arrived and it took me as long to get to work in nth syd as it does from eastern subs to nth syd. That said both are about half an hour in rush hour. Military Road is more of a lucky dip and has been dubbed 'worst road in Australia'
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

Went that way this morning left mona vale at 6am traffic was a night mare the road through mosman was worse than spit bridge
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

This mornings run down to Spit Bridge and into the city was really bad for some reason - dont normally sit in that much traffic to the bridge unless the bridge is open, and that doesnt happen on my 7am bus from Allambie Heights. It added another 15-20minutes onto the run today
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:31 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I stayed in spit junction when I first arrived and it took me as long to get to work in nth syd as it does from eastern subs to nth syd. That said both are about half an hour in rush hour. Military Road is more of a lucky dip and has been dubbed 'worst road in Australia'

My GF lives on Military Road, and I sit on her balcony and watch the never ending gridlock. not sure if it's the worse road, but it's certainly a contender, up there with Parramatta Road...

S
Old Feb 12th 2014, 6:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
My GF lives on Military Road, and I sit on her balcony and watch the never ending gridlock. not sure if it's the worse road, but it's certainly a contender, up there with Parramatta Road...

S
Great view then?