British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney Tourism Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-tourism-advice-810591/)

ravian Sep 27th 2013 5:49 pm

Sydney Tourism Advice

Hi All,

I am from US, and will be visiting Sydney in last part of October (pretty much last 10 days) to see family but would love to explore the town. I would like to know your tips regarding not to be missed experiences, events during that time period, local to-dos etc. Feel free to suggest any weekend trips by air nearby too (but, please do advise local/discount airlines in that case).

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanking in advance.

old.sparkles Sep 28th 2013 4:39 am

Re: Sydney Tourism Advice

Originally Posted by ravian (Post 10920879)
Hi All,

I am from US, and will be visiting Sydney in last part of October (pretty much last 10 days) to see family but would love to explore the town. I would like to know your tips regarding not to be missed experiences, events during that time period, local to-dos etc. Feel free to suggest any weekend trips by air nearby too (but, please do advise local/discount airlines in that case).

Hi ravian and welcome to BE :)

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Sydney other than what I've learnt from TV / internet but just thought I'd say hi, and hopefully someone else will be able to give you more info about what's to do during your stay.

gregster10217 Sep 28th 2013 6:58 am

Been a while since I was there, but the usual spots are of course the Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, and the Rocks. Also Manley, Cooks Point, Taronga Zoo, Bondi Beach, Centre Point (tall tower in town) and Darling Harbour to name a few.
One place you could try if you have a car, or someone prepared to drive you, is the Blue Mountains. Stunning scenery.
Enjoy

Bermudashorts Sep 28th 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by ravian (Post 10920879)
Hi All,

I am not sure I would bother with flying anywhere else for a weekend trip if I only had ten days, but if you do want to, an option might be Byron Bay.

Jon77 Sep 28th 2013 10:48 pm

Got to do the walk from Bondi to Coogee :thumbup: You can beak the walk for a spot of lunch at Bronte beach. Sometimes we do this walk and only get as far as Bronte.

Take your swimmers with you as lots of places to take a dip.

Get up in to the Blue Mountains. Katoomba is a bit tacky in places but some very nice walks and amazing views.

A ride on the Manly ferry is a must but hop on some of the smaller ferries and explore a bit. Go out to Doyles as Watsons Bay and get some fish n chips.

Go and see the animals at Taronga Zoo.

Do the bridge climb

Go to the top of centre point tower

Take a picnic to one of the small harbour island

Stroll around the Botanical Gradens and see the big bats! :eek:

NSW Art Gallery

Visit the Aquarium at Darling Harbour

Go on the train down to Kiama (about 2 hours south of Sydney) for a relaxing out of Sydney beach town.

Explore inner city suburbs like Balmain, Glebe, Paddington or Darlinghurst. Most of these have their own trendy weekend markets and interesting shops.

Stroll around the rocks and get a beer at the Lord Nelson which brews its own beer :drinkingbeer: And then go to the Hero of Waterloo pub, and then ...... you get the idea ;)

Pop in to the tourist advice place in the Rocks when you arrive as so much info available there.

Mike at Taree Sep 29th 2013 12:34 am

Go for a walk around the Rocks and Milson's Point, and visit the Lord Nelson pub and brewery, oldest in Sydney and have a couple of pints of craft beer.

If you can get to Harry's Cafe de Wheels pie cart, try a genuine Australian meat pie.

Where you are, "Pie" means apple, pecan etc. Here, "Pie" has horns and a tail and goes "moo" and is totally delicious in a way that health food only dreams of.

commonwealth Sep 29th 2013 1:21 am

I must admit after more than 4 years in Sydney I've done only half of the above suggestions :o

Beoz Sep 30th 2013 5:47 am

• Kebab in Bankstown
  • Strip Club in Kings Cross
  • Wet and Wild on the M4
  • Rugby League match at Campbelltown
  • Skinny Dipping at Lady Jane

ravian Sep 30th 2013 11:05 am

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Much appreciated.

Regarding rugby league match - can you share a website where I can buy tickets (if it is advisable to get ahead of time) - or can I get them as walk in? Would love the experience.

Thanks.

Beoz Sep 30th 2013 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ravian (Post 10923825)
Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Much appreciated.

Regarding rugby league match - can you share a website where I can buy tickets (if it is advisable to get ahead of time) - or can I get them as walk in? Would love the experience.

Thanks.

I was joking about the rugby league, but since you ask, the grand final is this coming weekend. So you will have to wait til march until the season starts again.

Now if you want to watch a real sport, there may be some rugby on. I believe the wallabies have one more game in Oz. Not sure of date. No need to book ahead. The wallabies are so bad at the moment they will pay you to come and watch

ravian Sep 30th 2013 2:46 pm

Oh man - no worries. You did alert me though to final games which I will definitely not miss on Sat. Looks like All Blacks will be playing SA in Johannesburg. And, Aussies will be playing Argentina in Argentina.

Wow - so, unlike Cricket or Soccer, the tournament doesn't happen in one country. Very interesting. Would love to attend real rugby game sometime.

Thanks again for the heads up- I would have definitely missed. Now, we have weekend party on :)

KJCherokee Oct 2nd 2013 5:38 am

The matches you mention are the end of the Rugby Union Championship which is a round robin tournament between Aus, NZ, SA and Argentina: the Grand Final that Beoz was talking about is the National Rugby League final. There are two major football competitions in Australia: Rugby League (NRL) which is mainly played in NSW and Qld, and Australian Rules (AFL) which is largely based in Victoria with two teams each from South Australia, NSW, Qld and WA. AFL Grand Final was last weekend and NRL Grand Final is this weekend.

mkeylianos Oct 2nd 2013 6:06 am

Yes they have so many travel area But I would suggest also in Canada other popular resorts include Silver Star and Big White near Kelowna in the Okanagan. The interior ranges of British Columbia is also home to 6 different mountain ranges, which get bombarded by light and deep snowfalls every Winter. This area has become the epicentre for snowboaders and skiers looking for a great variety of options, with terrain offering everything from wide open alpine bowels to spectacular tree runs.

Beoz Oct 2nd 2013 6:10 am

Originally Posted by mkeylianos (Post 10926862)
Yes they have so many travel area But I would suggest also in Canada other popular resorts include Silver Star and Big White near Kelowna in the Okanagan. The interior ranges of British Columbia is also home to 6 different mountain ranges, which get bombarded by light and deep snowfalls every Winter. This area has become the epicentre for snowboaders and skiers looking for a great variety of options, with terrain offering everything from wide open alpine bowels to spectacular tree runs.

Clearly the wrong thread but anyhow, Whitewater is a great little resort in the interior of BC.

Grayling Jan 20th 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by sophiawright (Post 11086902)
Honestly saying, Byron Bay would quite have to be one of my most favorite places in the entire world. So I would recommend you Byron Bay, I love "The Villas of Byron" there, best place ever to stay with family.:starsmile:

You have some personal interest there do you?