Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Sutherland shire help

Sydney Sutherland shire help

Old Mar 17th 2011, 3:28 am
Just Joined

simo71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Sutherland shire help

Hello,we are moving to Sydney next week and we would like to be based in Sutherland Shire.
We have an apartment rented in central sydney for 2 weeks but ideally want something long term in the shire sorted out by the time that ends but if not can anyone recommend anything short term in the shire that does not cost a fortune?
Can anyone recommend primary schools and good estate agents in the area?
Any tips or advise for anything in the shire would be greatly recommended.
Thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Sutherland shire help

Originally Posted by simo71
Hello,we are moving to Sydney next week and we would like to be based in Sutherland Shire.
We have an apartment rented in central sydney for 2 weeks but ideally want something long term in the shire sorted out by the time that ends but if not can anyone recommend anything short term in the shire that does not cost a fortune?
Can anyone recommend primary schools and good estate agents in the area?
Any tips or advise for anything in the shire would be greatly recommended.
Thanks.
Hi and welcome to BExpats. you have made a good choice with the Shire...God's Country.

You will find the rentals on realestate.com.au or domain.com.au All the Shire agents advertise on one or both of them.

I guess short term accomodation depends on how many of you there are may be you could confirm that and I may have some ideas.

If yo do search on Sutherland or the Shire you should find some other threads on here...one such as this one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652310
Old Mar 17th 2011, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Hi,three of us,two adults and a 4 1/2 years old.We are hoping to find a nice area with a good and small school for our son.I had a look at "My School" website and I found a few that could tick the boxes but would be nice to hear from other parents and I really need to see the schools before making a decision.Also I don't drive (I will have to learn!)and we'll have to find a rental close to the chosen school so I can walk there and back.How difficult is to get a rental in the Shire at the moment?Any advice is welcome!
Old Mar 17th 2011, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone in the Shire owns a car. Some own 2. Public transport is limited to a train line that runs infrequently up and down the penninsular. You'll probably be fixed to a local public school in the catchment you live in - little choice there unless you want to send them to the nearest private school a long way away. Train ride from Cronulla to the city is about 50 mins.

Other than the isolation the shire is truley gods country.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Any information on Jannali?
Good primary schools,playgrounds,area in general?
Old Mar 19th 2011, 12:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

My SIL lives there. From what I've seen Jannali looks good with excellent rail links into the city
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Jannali is very acceptable. We live in Loftus (on the same rail line to the city) and I hear the public school here is very good, but we don't have kids so don't know a lot about schools. http://www.loftus-p.schools.nsw.edu.au

There isn't much comes up for rent or sale around here.

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Mar 19th 2011 at 11:17 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2011, 11:39 pm
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

We live in Woronora Heights, our daughter goes to school in Engadine (Engadine West Public School http://www.engadinew-p.schools.nsw.e...w/1324205.node). We have been very happy with the school so far. She is only in kindy (she is not quite 5), so she started about seven weeks ago. Engadine is a nice area, and more affordable than some of the other areas in The Shire.

We have a nice little shopping area in Engadine, and it isn't so far from the big westfield centre etc at Miranda. Have a look on http://www.domain.com.au/Search/rent...hterm=Engadine and also http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/in...233%3b+/list-1 for rentals in Engadine.

There is a train station, but if hubby gets the train in to work he tends to drive to Sutherland because there are twice as many trains from there. We are on the doorstep of the Royal National Park which is beautiful with lovely beaches and bushwalking, and we are also close to the beautiful Illawara region which we love also.

If you need any more help, give me a shout!
Old Mar 20th 2011, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I used to get the train every day to the CBD from Jannali. Great transport link but the area itself is a bit rough, the local woolies is more like a 1970's overgrown Spar and it is one of the few places I've seen in the shire where shops have shutters (Google Jannali pork chop to get an idea of the quality of the clientele in the local pub).

Areas around Jannali such as Bonnet Bay, Oyster Bay, Como and Kareela are all nice but you would need a car to drive to the station (plenty of free on street parking near the station) and to do the shopping.

If you are planning on living without a car in the shire you probably need to look at Miranda (near the Westfield), Engadine near the shops or Cronulla centre as you will struggle anywhere else without a car.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Nixxy is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Engadine up until 9 months ago, something I'm still coming to terms with, I never wanted to leave (thats a thread for another day, I have been holding back hoping I feel better about it all, still hoping).

Indeed the Shire is gods country, I used to go for a drive through the RNP every week just for the hell of it and often up the Illawara highway, some stunning scenary.

Before we came home I said to my wife we will never live in a nicer place, fantastic people, beautiful surrondings, laid back life style, no chavs, no grafitti, nothing like the UK.

I still think about Sydney and Engadine every day what a great place what a wonderful community.

And to think it was never on our list to look at I still remember diving off the Princes Highway on the way back from house hunting in Stanwell Tops/Park, driving about and just falling in love with the town and went straight to Epic Realty, ask for Michelle, and ended up with a beautiful rental overlooking the Bush with the Blue Mountains and Sydney in full view.

Good Luck
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 1:59 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nixxy
We lived in Engadine up until 9 months ago, something I'm still coming to terms with, I never wanted to leave (thats a thread for another day, I have been holding back hoping I feel better about it all, still hoping).

Indeed the Shire is gods country, I used to go for a drive through the RNP every week just for the hell of it and often up the Illawara highway, some stunning scenary.

Before we came home I said to my wife we will never live in a nicer place, fantastic people, beautiful surrondings, laid back life style, no chavs, no grafitti, nothing like the UK.

I still think about Sydney and Engadine every day what a great place what a wonderful community.

And to think it was never on our list to look at I still remember diving off the Princes Highway on the way back from house hunting in Stanwell Tops/Park, driving about and just falling in love with the town and went straight to Epic Realty, ask for Michelle, and ended up with a beautiful rental overlooking the Bush with the Blue Mountains and Sydney in full view.

Good Luck

I totally agree with you. This part of Sutherland Shire (Loftus, Engadine and Woronora Heights) is beautiful. We lived in Yowie Bay before this and didn't enjoy that even half as much as we love it here. I have made some very good friends, and certainly from my point of view being a mum with young children, the people here are far more friendly.

We drive through the RNP to Bundeena or through and down to Wollongong most weekends.

I hope you get to come back one day.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 2:22 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Funny, because my impression of Engadine was that, on each of the few occasions I've been, that it was as hot as Hell, and nothing to write home about. Not seen that much of it mind.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:44 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Funny, because my impression of Engadine was that, on each of the few occasions I've been, that it was as hot as Hell, and nothing to write home about. Not seen that much of it mind.
The bit near to the shops and on the Princes Highway isn't so nice (I mean it is fine for shopping, but I wouldn't want to live there), but once you get out towards the edges it is lovely. We live in Woronora Heights, but some of my friends live in Engadine and love it. Out towards the edges it is pretty peaceful, certainly more so than over towards Yowie Bay/Caringbah/Miranda way.