Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney suburbs for families

Sydney suburbs for families

Old Apr 30th 2021, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

jenjenswanyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney suburbs for families

Hi, we are relocating from the UK to Sydney in July for my husbands work. We have two boys age 13 and 10. We are looking for a family friendly suburb with decent schools and ideally somewhere where kids play outside. My husbands job will be in Waterfall just south of Sydney. Ideally within a 40 minute commute in rush hour. Rentals seem to be few and far between and we really cant find any newer build homes in a community for a reasonable rental cost. Ideally no more than $1000 per week. We have looked at Leppington and Emerald Hill but from reading other posts it seems advisable to steer clear of the likes of Campbeltown. We are fortunate and have a nice life at home would like to have the same level of living in Australia without sacrificing too much.
Thanks for any help/advice
Old May 1st 2021, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney suburbs for families

Originally Posted by jenjenswanyx View Post
Hi, we are relocating from the UK to Sydney in July for my husbands work. We have two boys age 13 and 10. We are looking for a family friendly suburb with decent schools and ideally somewhere where kids play outside. My husbands job will be in Waterfall just south of Sydney. Ideally within a 40 minute commute in rush hour. Rentals seem to be few and far between and we really cant find any newer build homes in a community for a reasonable rental cost. Ideally no more than $1000 per week. We have looked at Leppington and Emerald Hill but from reading other posts it seems advisable to steer clear of the likes of Campbeltown. We are fortunate and have a nice life at home would like to have the same level of living in Australia without sacrificing too much.
Thanks for any help/advice
Ok. Your husband is working in Waterfall? Are you sure? There is nothing in Waterfall? It's the most outer suburb of southern Sydney.

Now this can be a good thing. Do not, I repeat, do not look at places like Leppington and Cambelltown. They are cheap for a reason. If you come to Oz don't live in places like Cambelltown or Brisbane. They are cheap for a reason. They are crap. Live near Waterfall. Live somewhere between Waterfall and Cronulla or live somewhere between Waterfall and Wollongong. These are all top spots. Cambelltown and Leppington and Brisbane are not. They are all cheap for a reason.

Old May 5th 2021, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

I agree... Are you sure Waterfall? If its not a mistake then Engadine, Loftus, Kirrawee and Gymea are ideal areas.
Old May 5th 2021, 9:31 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Waterloo?
Old May 5th 2021, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all very much. Since posting the thread we have quickly realised they are areas we do not want to be!
He will be based between Waterfall and Heathcote.
I know it’s a bit further out but are The Ponds and Schofields good areas? Will check out the recommendations above.
many thanks
Old May 5th 2021, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all very much. Since posting the thread we have quickly realised they are areas we do not want to be!
I know it’s a bit further out but are The Ponds and Schofields good areas? Will check out the recommendations above.
many thanks
No they are not great areas. And on top of that they are the opposite end of Sydney. You will ruin your life commuting.

Why would you not consider living nearby? Gymea Engadine Heathcote Kirrawee for examples as mentioned. Nice suburbs. Or even somewhere between Wollongong and Stanwell Park????
Old May 7th 2021, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

many thanks
Do you understand how large Sydney is? I think you need to do some urgent research…
Old May 7th 2021, 6:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Retirednow View Post
Do you understand how large Sydney is? I think you need to do some urgent research…
yes this would be around an hours commute in traffic
Old May 7th 2021, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

It would not be an hour's commute - it would be much more than that in peak hour plus you'd be up for god-knows how much in tolls. It's over 70km from The Ponds to Waterfall. To think about driving 150km a day, every day in Sydney traffic is madness. Tolls would be over $80 each week (assuming 10 trips) which could only be avoided by taking the even slower non-toll roads.

I would echo what others have said. Check out all the suburbs to the south of the Georges River - known as Sutherland Shire. It's a perfectly respectable family area; close to Waterfall with the beach nearby and great shopping at Miranda.

Alternatively, as stated, the northern Wollongong suburbs are also really nice and would be a good commute.

Don't even think about looking at Sydney's western or south-western or north-western suburbs. Distances are big, the traffic horrendous.

Last edited by NickyC; May 7th 2021 at 7:04 am.
Old May 7th 2021, 7:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
It would not be an hour's commute - it would be much more than that in peak hour plus you'd be up for god-knows how much in tolls. It's over 70km from The Ponds to Waterfall. To think about driving 150km a day, every day in Sydney traffic is madness. Tolls would be over $80 each week (assuming 10 trips) which could only be avoided by taking the even slower non-toll roads.

I would echo what others have said. Check out all the suburbs to the south of the Georges River - known as Sutherland Shire. It's a perfectly respectable family area; close to Waterfall with the beach nearby and great shopping at Miranda.

Alternatively, as stated, the northern Wollongong suburbs are also really nice and would be a good commute.

Don't even think about looking at Sydney's western or south-western or north-western suburbs. Distances are big, the traffic horrendous.
Thanks will definitely look at these areas.
We are looking for a new build home (or newer) I think these areas are all older? Am I correct?
Old May 7th 2021, 7:35 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking for a new build home (or newer) I think these areas are all older? Am I correct?
You might be pushing it to rent a new build in Sutherland Shire, but here are a few 'newer' properties that might give you an idea of what you get for your money.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...eena-431820898
https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...anda-426064574
https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...gbah-431815918
https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...ymea-431811282

Best of luck.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; May 7th 2021 at 7:40 am.
Old May 7th 2021, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You do realise that new build homes are all in the far western suburbs. Firstly far western suburbs are not good areas because they are cheap and they are very far away from the good things in life. Just being frankly honest.

They can't build new build estates north or south of the established suburbs near the coast because of national park constraints. It's only in the west.

Sure, more established suburbs have older houses but are often renovated like new. Personally I would not trust the short cuts new build builders, especially on vast new land sub divisions, take.

Established areas also offer more amenities because they are established. That includes tree cover. Oh and on tree cover, it's important for heat protection. The far western suburbs compared to the areas closer to the coast can have a 10 degree temp difference in summer. No sea breeze and less tree cover in the west.

And those toll tips that was offered is important. Sydney has one of the best motorway networks in the world but to use it you pay. And if that's every day it really adds up.
Old May 7th 2021, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
You might be pushing it to rent a new build in Sutherland Shire, but here are a few 'newer' properties that might give you an idea of what you get for your money.

https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...eena-431820898
https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...anda-426064574
https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...gbah-431815918
https://www.realestate.com.au/proper...ymea-431811282

Best of luck.
Be wary of Bundeena. Great spot, it's snuggled into the norhern edge of the national park blocked off by the river. You have to travel back through the national park to reach any sort of civilisation. That's a half hour drive to get to a Coles or Woolies. And if the Hacking River floods over the weir then that journey becomes an hour or so.
Old May 7th 2021, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

yes this would be around an hours commute in traffic
Hell of a lot more than an hour