Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney suburbs - best of the best

Sydney suburbs - best of the best

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Legrandfromage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney suburbs - best of the best

Or should I say - one that is reasonably priced for a family (so burbs) with 45 minutes or less commute time and close to the beach.........any ideas................Manly maybe? Someone mentioned Roseville and St Ives?
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney suburbs - best of the best

Manly is pricey and although commuting to the CBD by ferry is ok when the weather is good, it isn't so nice in winter.
The further out you go, generally the cheaper the prices. Northern beaches or upper North shore is all good. Depends also if you are driving or using public transport.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 3:28 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

What money?
Originally Posted by Legrandfromage
Or should I say - one that is reasonably priced for a family (so burbs) with 45 minutes or less commute time and close to the beach.........any ideas................Manly maybe? Someone mentioned Roseville and St Ives?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

No clue yet - just wanted an idea of a family home in the burbs near a beach without a killer commute. Is that Eden?!

And probably mid-price rent - certainly not sure I'd buy at 5% loan rates!
Old Nov 4th 2010, 11:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

No clue yet - just wanted an idea of a family home in the burbs near a beach without a killer commute. Is that Eden?!

If anyone is going to help you, you'll need to just state the actual $$ you're thinking about. Don't worry about disclosing this kind of info on a forum like this. If your questions aren't specific you won't get the answers you are after. But if you are specific then I'm sure that someone down in Sydney will give you some great advice.

I can't help you, I'm in Brisbane and I don't have a clue about Sydney suburbs. But if you were to say something like "bringing over GBP50k, looking to buy a house between $450k and $600k max, or rent at $500 per week max...etc etc".... then you'll get some good replies.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 3:10 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

5% is historically very low for Australia it was nearing 10% for us around 2008. We are enoying it at the moment because after getting use to the higher amounts we have kept paying at the higher rates to hopefully finish alot earlier than our 30 year!

In term of prices I would do as the above poster stated and name a price range or rent range.

I live in St Ives and it is good for some things and not others, what are some of your requirements. I have been house hunting recently (now decided against it) and certainly did not find anything in the areas I was looking for under 800K and for something in the 4 bed range with very little work to do was 950+ I am sure there are other options but for what my requirements where Upper North Shore remains uber expensive.

When are you arriving and have you got short term accommodation worked out so you can spend a bit of time looking?

As far as the beach is concerned we are 25 mins drive - it was one of our criteria eight years ago. I can now say with all certainity I have not been for a day out at a Sydney beach for over three years. I like my pool though.

http://www.loansense.com.au/historical-rates.html
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for the advice. I'd say $650- $800 per week. Rent - family home (3-bed) in the burbs -near the beach. C'est finis!

(I still can't get round to the idea of buying with interest rates anywhere likely to go north and back up to 10%. Financial press believes more hikes are on their way.)
Old Nov 6th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you all for the advice. I'd say $650- $800 per week. Rent - family home (3-bed) in the burbs -near the beach. C'est finis!

(I still can't get round to the idea of buying with interest rates anywhere likely to go north and back up to 10%. Financial press believes more hikes are on their way.)
Typically in Roseville for 800 you get a complete hole no joke, BUT if you pay 1000+ you will get a nice place 3 beds minimum.

Some more in ST Ives at a slightly cheaper price.

HTH
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

That is quite a big ask on that budget. I think you might need to compromise on something or other, perhaps expand the commute to an hour or so. What do you mean by near the beach, do you mean walking distance to the beach or a 30 minue drive?
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

How about Frenchs Forest or Forestville, both really leafy and green but cheaper and nearer the beach (20 min drive max?) because they are not serviced by the trainline. I like it there, maybe worth a look on domain.com.au?
Old Nov 8th 2010, 2:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Manly is pricey and although commuting to the CBD by ferry is ok when the weather is good, it isn't so nice in winter.
The further out you go, generally the cheaper the prices. Northern beaches or upper North shore is all good. Depends also if you are driving or using public transport.
Manly IS the beach!! Good commute with plenty of buses and ferries, buses can be a long journey if caught in peak traffic, ferries are good all weather and also the faster Jet Cats. Rare that the ferry does not run, sea state is not a factor, usually low visibility like fog. Even then they lay on buses so either way you get to work!
However, you will NOT get a house in Manly for less than 800-900 and even then it will not be 'classy'. Have you considered a 3 bed unit? Was one thing we did not want when we came over but loved it the time we was there, since moved to a 4 bed house in Seaforth (old fashioned but lots of space and big garden) for $725pw (only $25 pw more than the Manly beachfront unit!!).
Your best bet is to get temp accomodation when you get here and then have a look around and try your commute, plus, you will NOT be able to get a place secured here without seeing it first physically.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

we rented a holiday apartment in Manly in August/September 08 when we first arrived- cost $1000 per week, but it gave us time to look and find a place. Manly has a great beach, but OH did get seasick on the ferry once or twice! As I said, it is very noisy, and that was out of season, so I would hate to live there in summer, much as the idea of falling out of bed and walking 5 mins to the beach was nice. I'm in St Ives now, but probably only go to the beach twice a year- we have a pool, as a lot of people do. One day, when the rain stops and it warms up, I might be able to use it!!!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 9:03 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
we rented a holiday apartment in Manly in August/September 08 when we first arrived- cost $1000 per week, but it gave us time to look and find a place. Manly has a great beach, but OH did get seasick on the ferry once or twice! As I said, it is very noisy, and that was out of season, so I would hate to live there in summer, much as the idea of falling out of bed and walking 5 mins to the beach was nice. I'm in St Ives now, but probably only go to the beach twice a year- we have a pool, as a lot of people do. One day, when the rain stops and it warms up, I might be able to use it!!!
I know what you mean about the noise Caroline, we lived on the beach road so caught all the post soiree melee's! It was ok for my wife, she could sleep on the tyres of an airborne jumbo jet but I always woke up.
OH got seasick? What sort of weak livered lily faced Pom is he, jeez, he is letting the side down, we are a nation of seafarers for god's sake, we invented the sea!! lol
Old Nov 16th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Your best bet would be Dee Why, Freshwater and Balgowlah for older (read: rundown) houses usually on busier roads for this budget. Manly won't reap you anything and even 3 bed units are going to be very tough for this money. Ditto what others have said about suburbs a little further away eg: Forestville, Allambie Heights, Narraweena etc.
Happy hunting!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Putney near Ryde is really nice. Very Family friendly, loads of green space and parks, ferry to the city in 40 mins, regular buses, loads of little beaches around that no one knows about.

For a rental you are looking at $600+ a week. If you want to buy you are looking at $1.6 million +!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.