Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Sydney suburb is the equivalent of...

Which Sydney suburb is the equivalent of...

Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:22 am
Just Joined

AStyle will become famous soon enough
Default Which Sydney suburb is the equivalent of...

.. somewhere like Richmond-Upon-Thames?

In short, I like Richmond because (compared to areas like Fulham/Chelsea etc) it is/has:

- very sporty
- social
- laid back
- mostly lacking in traffic issues
- good value for money
- has a half decent high street/shops to pick up a few things
- 20 mins into Central London
- and has a decent amount similar aged ppl (ie. it's not just families and push-chairs!)..

I tend to drive everywhere, even here in London, so distance from the CBD is not the most important point...

I'm 31, single and currently live in Richmond and I'm moving out to Sydney in weeks . I've had tons of advice about suburbs that might suit me from friends and done lots of research but would love anyone's opinion....
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Babycoach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which Sydney suburb is the equivalent of...

Difficult that...can't thinkof any that would match up especially on traffic issues. Try Northern beaches areas. South Sydney you probs would not like. West - just dont go there! Coogee, Randwick, Paddington v. nice and maybe closest to what you are thinking of. but expensive, I used to drive 17 yrs ago from Randwick to city fringe - just a few km I used to put my make up on it was just a crawl. Best of luck
PS. Remember Oz isnt UK and so it will not match suburb for suburb. It has taken me 24 yrs to find a pub like the cosy ones we are used to at home!. And that is in Halifax Nr Townsville an unlikely place at that!
Rosemary
Old Jan 24th 2010, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Babycoach
Difficult that...can't thinkof any that would match up especially on traffic issues. Try Northern beaches areas. South Sydney you probs would not like. West - just dont go there! Coogee, Randwick, Paddington v. nice and maybe closest to what you are thinking of. but expensive, I used to drive 17 yrs ago from Randwick to city fringe - just a few km I used to put my make up on it was just a crawl. Best of luck
PS. Remember Oz isnt UK and so it will not match suburb for suburb. It has taken me 24 yrs to find a pub like the cosy ones we are used to at home!. And that is in Halifax Nr Townsville an unlikely place at that!
Rosemary
Thanks Rosemary! You know I almost put a statement in my original post saying "I know Australia is a different country and I don't want somewhere that is like Richmond (otherwise I wouldn't be moving!!) .. just somewhere that has a few of the qualities that I like.. ie. quietish/laid back and sporty" !

Everyone keeps suggesting Manly.. but that's more surf than sport, isn't it?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AStyle
Thanks Rosemary! You know I almost put a statement in my original post saying "I know Australia is a different country and I don't want somewhere that is like Richmond (otherwise I wouldn't be moving!!) .. just somewhere that has a few of the qualities that I like.. ie. quietish/laid back and sporty" !

Everyone keeps suggesting Manly.. but that's more surf than sport, isn't it?
It IS hard... Northern Beaches....money + sport...

..I'm from around there...
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

I don't think Manly would be you. What kind of sport are you into and what other types of things are you looking for?
paddington reminds me more of UK but with an Aussie twist. There are cute ( but v expensive small workers cottages that have been done up by the upwardly mobile professionals who work in the city. Advantage there is short bus ride into city hub. Manly and northern beaches mean going over Syd. harbour bridge or ferry trip on the water if you want to get to city.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

I have a friend who used to live in Sydney till just recently. She just went back and had a great time in the bars around the city. She knows all the places to meet the best guys. I went there soooome years ago to meet men and didn't realise it was and is the gay capital of Australia. LOL
Old Jan 24th 2010, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Babycoach
I don't think Manly would be you. What kind of sport are you into and what other types of things are you looking for?
paddington reminds me more of UK but with an Aussie twist. There are cute ( but v expensive small workers cottages that have been done up by the upwardly mobile professionals who work in the city. Advantage there is short bus ride into city hub. Manly and northern beaches mean going over Syd. harbour bridge or ferry trip on the water if you want to get to city.
Hey babycoach... Into several sports (which I do play) and I love rugby (but don't play) , particularly 7's.. alot of my friends play pro-rugby here so kind of used to hanging out with similar guys/girls...

Not really massively keen on working in CBD so probably not a drama to be living really close (plus I never go out in the eves to the West end etc here)..

re: moving to Sydney to meet men.. too funny!! No coincidence that I'm 31, single ...haha
Old Jan 24th 2010, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

Bonza is an unknown quantity at this point

Im going back to Uni (unsw) and have been looking at Coogee/Randwick area's seems like an ok compromise between everything.

I think your going to be happy in the North -East?

I Cant wait to make the move... about 2 weeks more!

Good Luck
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Mosman is a really nice place - dont know about the sporty so much (only because it doesnt interest me) but it has a good high street, not totally pram dominated and reasonably quiet with great views. Only problem is that if you dont have a lot of money you will probably not get off first base there.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I thought you might be looking.... I will ask my friend the best spots...to not meet gay guys!
I wish this site was around when I needed advice.
So like Bonza said, Randwick / Coogee better all round bets from the sound of things. Housing will be still v. expensive but there are shares too - and maybe you and Bonza can meet for a drink.
Have you lookd at realestate.com.au for an idea of prices?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Oh yes, I've been researching domain.com.au and realestate.com.au for at least 18 months, together with other smaller sites - I think I'm actually an expert on Sydney/Melbourne property now! haha..

Research on bars to meet men? Zero.

I need to review my time management and goal orientation I feel
Old Jan 25th 2010, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Yes cos soon you will be as old as me and that's pretty tragic lol - it is true as you age, you have the body of an old hag but feel like you are twenty five....so get out there and enjoy. I will send you some bar/social spots to go as soon as I get to work with that lady I was mentioning earlier.