Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Suburb - Castle Hill.

Wikiposts

Sydney Suburb - Castle Hill.

Old Aug 1st 2004, 9:36 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Sydney Suburb - Castle Hill.

Any strongly held opinions out there? Good / Bad / McMansion ville?

Any ideas re. commute time to Sydney CDB? I believe theres a good bus route - is this true?
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Suburb - Castle Hill.

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Any strongly held opinions out there? Good / Bad / McMansion ville?

Any ideas re. commute time to Sydney CDB? I believe theres a good bus route - is this true?
Castle Hill originally started to be developed back in the 70's so not what you would call McMansions (that's more Kellyville/Cherrybrook way ie. further out) - but mostly reasonable size 1970/1980's houses with good size backyards. To me it's hideous suburbia, along with the rest of the north-western suburbs and and I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Also funnel-web central. I have friends who lived there many years ago (when it was a very new suburb) and the spider warfare stories they told you would not believe.

However some people seem to like it there. Too far from anywhere for me. They promote it as a family area - just as well because it's an awful long way from the city if you want any sort of night-life.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:21 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by nickyc
Castle Hill originally started to be developed back in the 70's so not what you would call McMansions (that's more Kellyville/Cherrybrook way ie. further out) - but mostly reasonable size 1970/1980's houses with good size backyards. To me it's hideous suburbia, along with the rest of the north-western suburbs and and I wouldn't live there if you paid me.

Also funnel-web central. I have friends who lived there many years ago (when it was a very new suburb) and the spider warfare stories they told you would not believe.

However some people seem to like it there. Too far from anywhere for me. They promote it as a family area - just as well because it's an awful long way from the city if you want any sort of night-life.
Thanks NickyC. Any idea how long the commute is?

Good point about the spiders - I f**king hate them! What can you do to handle them - fumigate regularly, torch the buggers...???
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:21 pm
rudo1ph

We live just north of Castle Hill (5 mins north!) Love the area, fab if you have a family - loads of kiddie activities and decent schools. Not so sure what it would be like for a young single person.

If we were choosing areas again would still be in the same place.

Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:23 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by rudo1ph
We live just north of Castle Hill (5 mins north!) Love the area, fab if you have a family - loads of kiddie activities and decent schools. Not so sure what it would be like for a young single person.

If we were choosing areas again would still be in the same place.
It would be for a family. I have heard that the area is pretty good. Where are you exactly?

I am not 'sold' on Castle Hill. Essentially, I want a large family house (5+ beds) on a decent sized plot without paying through the nose for it.
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:36 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Thanks NickyC. Any idea how long the commute is?

Good point about the spiders - I f**king hate them! What can you do to handle them - fumigate regularly, torch the buggers...???
Skip the info request on Funnel Webs.

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm
Old Aug 1st 2004, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Good site!

Get the place sprayed regularly by qualified pest controllers. Forget being green, doing-it-yourself and live and let live etc - nuke them.

Note where it says under the Sydney Funnel Web:
"They especially favour the forested upland areas surrounding the lower, more open country of the central Cumberland Basin".
In other words - the Hills District.

They can live submerged in swimming pools, you know. These friends had what they thought was a dead spider on the wall of their pool for over a week (under the water). Finally went to remove it - and it took off
Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:01 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes!!

Glad to see there are non of these in Perth

Are there any particular little horrors in Perth that don't live and breed in the Eastern states?

Seen plenty of Huntsmen in Perth but not much else, yet!!!

Walla
Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:07 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by nickyc
Good site!

Get the place sprayed regularly by qualified pest controllers. Forget being green, doing-it-yourself and live and let live etc - nuke them.

Note where it says under the Sydney Funnel Web:
"They especially favour the forested upland areas surrounding the lower, more open country of the central Cumberland Basin".
In other words - the Hills District.

They can live submerged in swimming pools, you know. These friends had what they thought was a dead spider on the wall of their pool for over a week (under the water). Finally went to remove it - and it took off
Yeah - underwater spiders!!! F**kin ell! On the site it was saying they can survive for anything up to 30 hours!!
Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:15 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - underwater spiders!!! F**kin ell! On the site it was saying they can survive for anything up to 30 hours!!
Hey Ned

Are you sure you want to live there!! :scared:

Walla
Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:17 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by walla1
Hey Ned

Are you sure you want to live there!! :scared:

Walla
I guess it comes with the territory really
:scared:

If you hear screaming in Castle Hill - its probably me
Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:24 pm
Keeping it fairly real

I guess it comes with the territory really
:scared:

If you hear screaming in Castle Hill - its probably me
It'll have to be a big sream mate, I'll be in Perth!!

Will check the papers for recent spider attack updates from Castle Hill thou.

Walla
Old Aug 1st 2004, 11:27 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by walla1
It'll have to be a big sream mate, I'll be in Perth!!

Will check the papers for recent spider attack updates from Castle Hill thou.

Walla
Thanks