British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Which Sydney Suburb is 10 mins from coast and 25 mins from CBD? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-suburb-10-mins-coast-25-mins-cbd-502284/)

Mrs Jackaroo Dec 29th 2007 10:19 pm

Which Sydney Suburb is 10 mins from coast and 25 mins from CBD?

I'm trying to get a comparison on house prices between Sydney and Perth. Friends of ours are in the process of building a 4 bed massive house with double garage in Perth - they're 10 mins from beach and 25 mins from CBD - I'm trying (just for fun!) to work out what that sort of house would cost in Sydney.

Any takers to help me out :)

northerner Dec 29th 2007 11:12 pm

Re: Which Sydney Suburb is 10 mins from coast and 25 mins from CBD?

Depends on what time of day you plan to travel to the CBD. Are we talking 25 mins on a good run, or 25 mins at 8am weekdays?

On a good run (and within approx. 30 mins on train) you might look at Sutherland/Gymea.

On the north side I guess Frenches Forest (this is expensive I believe) across to Narabeen (pretty much on the coast).

Due to the harbour the 'expensive' corridor extends inland quite a bit - anywhere near the harbour is going to be pricey - not just the coast.

Hope this helps a bit - have fun comparing!

Graham

Mrs Jackaroo Dec 29th 2007 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by northerner (Post 5717438)
Depends on what time of day you plan to travel to the CBD. Are we talking 25 mins on a good run, or 25 mins at 8am weekdays?

On a good run (and within approx. 30 mins on train) you might look at Sutherland/Gymea.

On the north side I guess Frenches Forest (this is expensive I believe) across to Narabeen (pretty much on the coast).

Due to the harbour the 'expensive' corridor extends inland quite a bit - anywhere near the harbour is going to be pricey - not just the coast.

Hope this helps a bit - have fun comparing!

Graham

Cheers Graham

I'll check out those areas now :)

vanderaj Dec 29th 2007 11:34 pm

French's Forest is further away from the sea than 10 minutes. It is about 25 minutes to the CBD.

I would use Ashwood in the inner south west, and Chatswood, Wollstonecraft, Lane Cove or Greenwich (where I used to live) for the North Shore. Any closer in to the CBD (like Neutral Bay or Kirribilli) makes the comparison difficult to make. For the inner east, it can take a long time to the CBD due to the TERRIBLE crapola going to Bondi and nothing is really that far from the CBD or the sea if you're doing it at 2.30 am. For example, Rose Bay is much closer to the harbour and Bondi than your requirements. And outrageously expensive.

Andrew

northerner Dec 30th 2007 12:01 am

Originally Posted by vanderaj (Post 5717526)
French's Forest is further away from the sea than 10 minutes.

You must be thinking of another Frenches Forest Andrew. If Chatswood, Lane Cove etc are closer to the coast then I shall gladly chop off one of my limbs with a rusty bread knife ;):rofl:

Graham

vanderaj Dec 30th 2007 1:02 am

Originally Posted by northerner (Post 5717602)
You must be thinking of another Frenches Forest Andrew. If Chatswood, Lane Cove etc are closer to the coast then I shall gladly chop off one of my limbs with a rusty bread knife ;):rofl:

Graham

Okay, I was confused with another suburb's location (Pymble) as I only went to Frenchs Forest rarely. It is closer to Manly than Greenwich, etc.

thanks,
Andrew