Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - South west suburbs

Sydney - South west suburbs

Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Sydney - South west suburbs

Am reading some of these posts with great interest. Everyone is intitled to their opinion so here's mine.
We moved from Scotland to the South West Suburbs of Sydney in November and honestly can't complain. We do seem to however be in a minority , but for us it's really working. We are a family with 2 young kids and live and work just outside Campbelltown. There is a main train service right into the heart of the city every 1/2 hour. They are extending the local shopping mall and building a new mulitiplex cinema and ice rink. There are soccer pitches and cricket pitches and swimming pools in every local suburb . Good schools.What else ? 35 minutes to the beach at Austinmer , 1hr1/2 to the blue mountains. Friendly neighbours.Large proportion of immigrants from ALL OVER , not just Lebanese !!! or for that matter the UK . Have met lots of Dutch, Asians and New Zealanders, a few Scots but all my "friends" are Aussies.I came here to make the most of it all,not live in an expat commune and am suprised at the generalisations been swept across the board by some people who have never lived out here !
We are living in a brand new 4 bedroom detatched house and will be able to afford to buy a property here , probably with a pool , when we get around to it.
You can't advise people not to live in the SW of Sydney because like EVERYWHERE there will always be an element of don't go there.The whole emmigration thing is a minefield and until you try it yourself you'll never know.
Hope this is helpfull to someone.
I await the backlash.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:59 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - South west suburbs

Originally Posted by Tass
Am reading some of these posts with great interest. Everyone is intitled to their opinion so here's mine.
We moved from Scotland to the South West Suburbs of Sydney in November and honestly can't complain. We do seem to however be in a minority , but for us it's really working. We are a family with 2 young kids and live and work just outside Campbelltown. There is a main train service right into the heart of the city every 1/2 hour. They are extending the local shopping mall and building a new mulitiplex cinema and ice rink. There are soccer pitches and cricket pitches and swimming pools in every local suburb . Good schools.What else ? 35 minutes to the beach at Austinmer , 1hr1/2 to the blue mountains. Friendly neighbours.Large proportion of immigrants from ALL OVER , not just Lebanese !!! or for that matter the UK . Have met lots of Dutch, Asians and New Zealanders, a few Scots but all my "friends" are Aussies.I came here to make the most of it all,not live in an expat commune and am suprised at the generalisations been swept across the board by some people who have never lived out here !
We are living in a brand new 4 bedroom detatched house and will be able to afford to buy a property here , probably with a pool , when we get around to it.
You can't advise people not to live in the SW of Sydney because like EVERYWHERE there will always be an element of don't go there.The whole emmigration thing is a minefield and until you try it yourself you'll never know.
I await the backlash.
All the best,
Tass.
thats more like it Tass. i was waitin on u to defend your area and well said too
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Red face Re: Sydney - South west suburbs

Originally Posted by soapy
thats more like it Tass. i was waitin on u to defend your area and well said too
Cheers Soapy !
Maybe I could suggest MOUNT ANNAN BOTANIC GARDENS as the next x-pat meet place? Maybe that would be too scary though and too far out in the deep dark south !!!! :scared:
LoL!!
Have a great time next week,
All the best ,
Tass.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:13 am
ABCDiamond

am suprised at the generalisations been swept across the board by some people who have never lived out here !
Tass, I agree with you aswell. But these generalisations will, unfortunately, never stop.

It's almost like saying you wouldn't want to live in S.E. England, because you don't like xxx part of a certain town there.

Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Soapy !
Maybe I could suggest MOUNT ANNAN BOTANIC GARDENS as the next x-pat meet place? Maybe that would be too scary though and too far out in the deep dark south !!!! :scared:
LoL!!
Have a great time next week,
All the best ,
Tass.
it wouldnt stop me havin a meet there Tass. just noone has came up with the idea till now, but worth thinking about for the next one.
btw. what ive seen of your area i really liked. for what its worth
Old Mar 28th 2005, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Lightbulb Re: Sydney - South west suburbs

I await the backlash.
All the best,
Tass.

I can't speak for any one else,but for myself I have asked for info on the suburb of Auburn, the responses I got were a little negative, didn't get any positive ones, although did get some suggetions of commutable alternatives.
personally I am desparate for any info I can get good or bad, but wouldnt make any decisions until I see for myself. Think just need to know what environment taking my kids to.

like you we hope to make lots of friends of all nationalities but my ex-pat friends will be invaluable too.

Thank you for your post its always good to get a balance, every where has its good and bad, I live 25 minutes away from Nottingham and anyone who hears about notts would probably not touch where I live.

I have a job to go to in Auburn Hospital, not tied to it but at least I will be able to support my family without dipping into savings. Ideally would like to live nearby if its right for us, if you have an opinion let me know

Happy Easter
Chris
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Thank you for your post its always good to get a balance, every where has its good and bad, I live 25 minutes away from Nottingham and anyone who hears about notts would probably not touch where I live.
I agree

I used to live in Radcliffe on Trent.

I would not describe it as a bad place but all I ever hear on here is how awful Nottingham is.

G
Old Mar 28th 2005, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
I agree

I used to live in Radcliffe on Trent.

I would not describe it as a bad place but all I ever hear on here is how awful Nottingham is.

G

Not far from Grantham, where we live then. Its never been that bad but think the crimes are getting worse and they are hitting the news, usually in same area tho'. But even in our little town- once voted the 'most boring town' now getting a lot of drug related problems. Sad reflection on our society!

Chris
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:01 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I await the backlash.
All the best,
Tass.
So where in the SW of Sydney would you recommend?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Enthusiast

like you we hope to make lots of friends of all nationalities but my ex-pat friends will be invaluable too.

I too find my expat friends invaluable , the problem is they are all virtual !!!
Thank god for this web site !

Thank you for your post its always good to get a balance, every where has its good and bad.

You're welcome ! Hope it helps !

I have a job to go to in Auburn Hospital, not tied to it but at least I will be able to support my family without dipping into savings. Ideally would like to live nearby if its right for us, if you have an opinion let me know

Have looked up the UBD. Auburn is next to Homebush , which I have only driven to , to go to IKEA.It is also near Paramatta and Merrylands. I know nothing about the communities or living in this area. Sorry.I can tell you from where we are it takes about 30-40 mins approx in the car, depending on the traffic, to drive to Homebush. If you want anymore info on the McArthur area(round-a-bout us ) then please PM me . I will be happy to send you local information and help as much as I can.
All the best,
Tass.

P.S. RU a nurse ? My husband and I are both nurses.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bondipom
I can only offer information on what I know of the area we are in. I can't recommend it to everyone because not everyone wants to be out of the inner city.
We are in the outer south western suburbs.McArthur area.
There are so many new suburbs appearing - Harrington Park is a BIG development with it's own shops , schools and lake ! Blair athol , St helens Park , Horingsea Park, Blairmount , St Andrews , Eagle Vale , Eschol Park , Kearns , Appin the list goes on and on ! There are so many places out here , you cannot ignore them straight off , especially if you're moving with a family and are looking for affordable housing with back gardens you can play in !
Happy searching ! ........but I thought you would never leave the beachside living you have , I thought you always sounded very happy where you are.
All the best ,
Tass.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:23 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only offer information on what I know of the area we are in. I can't recommend it to everyone because not everyone wants to be out of the inner city.
We are in the outer south western suburbs.McArthur area.
There are so many new suburbs appearing - Harrington Park is a BIG development with it's own shops , schools and lake ! Blair athol , St helens Park , Horingsea Park, Blairmount , St Andrews , Eagle Vale , Eschol Park , Kearns , Appin the list goes on and on ! There are so many places out here , you cannot ignore them straight off , especially if you're moving with a family and are looking for affordable housing with back gardens you can play in !
Happy searching ! ........but I thought you would never leave the beachside living you have , I thought you always sounded very happy where you are.
All the best ,
Tass.
I am happy where I am and am not considering the SW but there maybe those who are. As you say the SW is huge and varies widely. I work with someone who lives in MacArthur. I don't envy his commute (over 2 hours to Maquarie Park but that is the other side of the Harbour). I also like living somewhere with public transport. The reality of that line makes British Rail look brilliant. But as you say you get a lot of land for your money. That is not my priority. I never came to Oz for the big houses with garden and pool thing.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I too find my expat friends invaluable , the problem is they are all virtual !!!
Thank god for this web site !

Thank you for your post its always good to get a balance, every where has its good and bad.

You're welcome ! Hope it helps !

Have looked up the UBD. Auburn is next to Homebush , which I have only driven to , to go to IKEA.It is also near Paramatta and Merrylands. I know nothing about the communities or living in this area. Sorry.I can tell you from where we are it takes about 30-40 mins approx in the car, depending on the traffic, to drive to Homebush. If you want anymore info on the McArthur area(round-a-bout us ) then please PM me . I will be happy to send you local information and help as much as I can.
All the best,
Tass.

P.S. RU a nurse ? My husband and I are both nurses.

I am a Midwife. Not sure where to settle really, think will have to explore when get there but appreciate any opinions.
Thanks Chris
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:55 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Very good point! have some karma
Old Mar 29th 2005, 12:57 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Very good point! have some karma
Sorry Bondipom, I tried:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bondipom again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.