British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sydney riots (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-riots-287004/)

rubbeldiekatz Feb 28th 2005 10:02 am

sydney riots

stupid low lifes.....why would you blame the police when you are an idiot teenager stealing a car and then kill yourself ??

Scossie Feb 28th 2005 10:40 am

Re: sydney riots

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
stupid low lifes.....why would you blame the police when you are an idiot teenager stealing a car and then kill yourself ??

All my sympathy goes to the unfortunate person/people who had their car stolen.

As for the dead thieves.... They shouldn't have been in the car in the first place, so if they die trying to escape from the police, too bad!

At least they've removed themselves from the gene pool, which can't be a bad thing!

soapy© Feb 28th 2005 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Scossie

As for the dead thieves.... They shouldn't have been in the car in the first place, so if they die trying to escape from the police, too bad!

At least they've removed themselves from the gene pool, which can't be a bad thing!

im glad a didnae smash yoor windaes as a kid :p :D

rubbeldiekatz Feb 28th 2005 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Scossie

hahaha

ozzieeagle Feb 28th 2005 10:55 am

Putting myself in the local residents shoes, If I were 20 years old, and full of machismo, and the police marched into my area with riot shields and battons, plus two of my mates had died after a run in with the cops for any reason. I'm not sure I would be welcoming them with open arms.

I think a bit of tact and negotiation could be a good thing in this situation. I'm not saying kids are right to act in a riotous fashion, However I dont think their reaction is beyond the realms of comprehension. What were you like when you were 20 ? Law abiding probably and hopefully, but not beyond showing anger i bet.

Quinkana Feb 28th 2005 11:01 am

Look like the school failed:

Discovering Democracy: Curran Public School, Macquarie Fields

Boomerang Feb 28th 2005 12:32 pm

They should have brought in the army to deal with those little kids.

There is no excuse for such behaviour, im sorry.

Amazulu Feb 28th 2005 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I think a bit of tact and negotiation could be a good thing in this situation.

With assault rifles.

bondipom Feb 28th 2005 7:02 pm

The riots were way out Campbelltown way. The characters on the news looked a bit unsavoury. I think the hot nights have got to the locals.

suzysu Feb 28th 2005 7:44 pm

The problems of public housing, too many bad apples in one place !!!!

jad n rich Feb 28th 2005 8:00 pm

The mother summed it up, theres nothing for them to do, nowhere to go, they turn to drugs, alcohol, crime, stealing cars for joyrides, the misery of the suburbs.

I too think the army should have been brough in, if the police couldnt handle it. 4 days of riots, and last night the police had decided to back off :rolleyes: to allow it to calm down.

soapy© Feb 28th 2005 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The mother summed it up, theres nothing for them to do, nowhere to go, they turn to drugs, alcohol, crime, stealing cars for joyrides, the misery of the suburbs.

I too think the army should have been brough in, if the police couldnt handle it. 4 days of riots, and last night the police had decided to back off :rolleyes: to allow it to calm down.

what makes me laugh is when they say 30 people rioted and 3 were arrested.
3?????? is that it. im sure they could have at least got most of them :rolleyes:

pike Feb 28th 2005 8:08 pm

Yes bring the army in round the scum up and shoot the do every one a favour

bondipom Feb 28th 2005 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich

The army is designed for war not policing. Misusing the army in such a way has often caused unnecesary death. They are not trained as riot police. It was only a crappy little riot caused by some moron bogans. The redfern riots placed some questions on the readiness of Sydney police in such situations. Not suprising that the local police were incapable as well.

Merlot Feb 28th 2005 8:11 pm

Didn't hear about the riots over here in the UK!!!!!

I think it was jad n rich in another thread that said if it happened over in the UK, it probably would have made headline news in Ozzie.

M