Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney rents dropping fast?

Wikiposts

Sydney rents dropping fast?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice
Default Sydney rents dropping fast?

The suburbs I'm following on the net dropped about $50 since November alone. that's about 15% in my price range.
Is it me or can any locals who recently moved confirm this?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Sydney rents dropping fast?

What suburbs ?

I think the expensive areas of Sydney are dropping, but the cheaper areas still have strong demand for properties, and rents are still rising.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:10 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastere
The suburbs I'm following on the net dropped about $50 since November alone. that's about 15% in my price range.
Once you get beyond the REA bollox and realise the vacancy rates for many suburbs are 5% or higher you can see why the rents are dropping... Our Landlord has a very nice property overlooking Bungan Beach that they can't rent out... We haven't had a rent rise this year in Mona Vale... 2 months ago my wife looked at 3 properties over 2 days and at 2 of them she was the only viewer... Pick your suburb carefully and you could negotiate a good deal for yourself...
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:43 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Once you get beyond the REA bollox and realise the vacancy rates for many suburbs are 5% or higher you can see why the rents are dropping... Our Landlord has a very nice property overlooking Bungan Beach that they can't rent out... We haven't had a rent rise this year in Mona Vale... 2 months ago my wife looked at 3 properties over 2 days and at 2 of them she was the only viewer... Pick your suburb carefully and you could negotiate a good deal for yourself...
I think its true at the higher end of the market - the demand seems to be for middle of the market. Our landlord started the year wanted over $900 per week and by the time we arrived he was jumping over himself to accept our $700 for 2 years.

I would not accept the same when competing at the other end with students.

But in the middle it would depend on time place comes on the market, location, desirability, tenant history etc.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:03 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What suburbs ?

I think the expensive areas of Sydney are dropping, but the cheaper areas still have strong demand for properties, and rents are still rising.

Definitely true - My GF has just been informed of a rent rise of $30 a week on her apartment in Camperdown.

It's a reasonably spacious, new, 1 bed place with En suite bathroom and a space for a single car, now $450 per week.

S
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7733245.stm

I think it will be worse in Oz since house prices have increased the furthest, even further than USA, there are loads of new suburbs (anyone with house bought in past 3 years will probably lose house). It will be hard to hold back the tide after summer is over.

Last edited by The Flintstones; Jan 7th 2009 at 4:59 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lastere
Not where I live mate. Demand still strong. Yes marginal drop can be expected but 15% - dreaming.

Which sub is this ?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I guess if demand drops its inevitable that atleast prices will stabilise? Hope so
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:27 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7733245.stm

I think it will be worse in Oz since house prices have increased the furthest, even further than USA, there are loads of new suburbs (anyone with house bought in past 3 years will probably lose house). It will be hard to hold back the tide after summer is over.

But in the USA there was a glut of housing - here housing is still very much in demand, particularly in CBD and coastal regions. People want to live near to the city or the coast, and there just isn't the housing infrastructure to supply that demand at the moment. I would predict a moderate fall in prices at worst.

It is also difficult to see how rents are likely to decrease when there are still 20-25 people showing up to inspect apartments for rent here in the inner west of Sydney.

S
Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Definitely true - My GF has just been informed of a rent rise of $30 a week on her apartment in Camperdown.

It's a reasonably spacious, new, 1 bed place with En suite bathroom and a space for a single car, now $450 per week.

S
I would have classed that as an expensive area !!

I'll have to increase my rents... Currently charging $270pw for a 3 bed house and $180pw for a 2 bed house, in Western Sydney.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 5:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
But in the USA there was a glut of housing - here housing is still very much in demand, particularly in CBD and coastal regions. People want to live near to the city or the coast, and there just isn't the housing infrastructure to supply that demand at the moment. I would predict a moderate fall in prices at worst.

It is also difficult to see how rents are likely to decrease when there are still 20-25 people showing up to inspect apartments for rent here in the inner west of Sydney.

S
I feel that the numbers of available properties is about to become a problem, especially here in QLD.

Looking at the new building developments in the pipeline, they are down by about 32% compared to last year..

In 2007, June to November, there were 25,194 new house approvals granted.
In the same months for 2008 there were only 17,128.
A 32% drop for QLD and that should be just about beginning to hit now.

That's 8,000 less properties that will available in Queensland, for a population that is still increasing at the same rate as before.

What will that do for the supply and demand structure of pricing ?

NSW has only reducing by 3,096, for the same comparative period, and South Australia's building approvals have actually increased.

If population keep increasing, but property building doesn't keep up, we will see more accommodation cost problems.

Old Jan 7th 2009, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

where i live in Randwick rents have been the same for the past 2 years, $400 pw for 2 bed flat and my mate down the road in coogee has been paying the same for his -which is a nice modern 2 bed with big balcony and ocean glimpses! lol, for the past 3 1/2 years.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pingpong
where i live in Randwick rents have been the same for the past 2 years, $400 pw for 2 bed flat and my mate down the road in coogee has been paying the same for his -which is a nice modern 2 bed with big balcony and ocean glimpses! lol, for the past 3 1/2 years.
Your mate is doing well. I have a flat down at the beach in Coogee. It rented for $520 pw last year (Nov 2007- Oct 2008) and went up to $540 in Nov.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I would have classed that as an expensive area !!

I'll have to increase my rents... Currently charging $270pw for a 3 bed house and $180pw for a 2 bed house, in Western Sydney.
Kidding, can I ask which sub is that ?

I live in western Sydney (Westmead) and the rent there for 3 bedroom unit (decent size & close -5-7mins walk- to station etc) is 400+. And this is my own place.

270 is dirt cheap. May be away from station or close to WestBus or something. It's a dream to have 270 a week 3 bedder mate, unless it's small size and away from transport.

Look up on domain and realestate. Also it can be misleading those sites as sometimes they advertise and when you go and check them - they are small old and far away from transport.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

What suburbs ?

i'm looking at bronte/coogee 1BRs. was $350ish, now goes for $300.
maybe it's just me. in pics they look about the same standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.