Sydney rentals

Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

jofun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney rentals

Hi All

Looking at moving to Sydney in the next few months and will be looking at rental properties. Anyone dealt with any good real estate agents ? Got two cats so have to find somewhere that will allow pets, think that will be the biggest drama!

Also any comments on areas to live in would be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Apr 25th 2009, 11:27 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney rentals

Hi there. We made the move this time last year and it was not fun at all - we have 3 cats. I would hope the rental situation has calmed down since then but you can read my experiences here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524423

and you should find further threads on the subject, too. Also on areas to live in (though you may end up more confused!).

Unless you employ a relocation agent, you will basically have to search on domain.com.au and the like for viewing times and - if you are looking in popular areas - run around town like an eejit, sharing your viewings with other people.

We've just started doing likewise for buying and it's brought it all back to me so you have my sympathy. If you don't find the information you need, do post again. There are some people in Sydney who have been here a LOT longer than me and are a great source of info.

edit: Sorry, just seen that you are already in Oz so probably know how it works.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Seasider

As if moving itself wasn't stressful enough! We can only see how we get on, but good to hear that you managed to get a place with 3 cats, gives me some hope!

We had problems up in here in brisbane too, plenty of places did not want pets, but we managed to find a good agent and nice landlord just a shame we have to go through the whole move again in just over a year..but hey it means we get to stay in Oz which is great.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I really hated the rental agency way of going about renting a property.

On pretty much the last day I had of viewing properties before my mr and child arrived, I was on my way home after a long day catching the train and viewing houses along with hundreds of others, I glanced at th epape and saw a private rental!!!

I couldnt believe it! A private rental! I was stoked. Went and had a look and I now live in the house where the landlord is happy for my 2 dogs and 2 cats to live! (not that they are here yet).

Good luck looking for a sydney rental - it is bloody hard slog!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Good news on finding a private rental!! I have been looking online for possible private rentals but can't find much. What paper did you find it in??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jofun
Good news on finding a private rental!! I have been looking online for possible private rentals but can't find much. What paper did you find it in??
yea they are pretty few and far between from what I have seen! But I reckon if you can go private - go private.

None of this agent not even interacting with you and has to hand a piece of paper to a landlord who has never met you busines. I dont know how anyone can choose th ebest tenant without meeting them first.

My landlord had 3 others iterested in renting and all I can say is I am glad I got to meet him face to face!

It was just in the Sydney morning paper - there is a paper inside that called "domain" or something and it was advertised along with all the agency houses.

Good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Bloomin stressful...and I found somewhere quite quickly, you'll get there but its a hard slog, applying waiting etc GOOD LUCK!