Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney, Redfern, Fireworks

Sydney, Redfern, Fireworks

Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:49 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Sydney, Redfern, Fireworks

Long been a spot for Troubles:
Fifty hurt in inner-Sydney riot

Police 'provoked youths at Redfern'

Last edited by Megalania; Feb 15th 2004 at 10:52 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 10:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney, Redfern, Fireworks

Originally posted by Megalania

When I took my car into the panel beaters last year there were several police cars in. They had been pelted with bricks the night before in Redfern.

Looks like the gentrification of Redfern hasn't worked yet.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:02 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Showing some signs of developing community spirit and enterprise:

"They had a number of wheelie bins lined up with paving stones in them - in fact there were eight of those. There were a number of large tubs with beer bottles in them," ...
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Just heard it on the news here in the UK.
Must be the heat EH!

G
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:08 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I watched it on Sky News this morning, at first I thought it was somewhere in the UK, but no!! It's here in lovely Oz!

Sounds like a nice suburb that Redfern !?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:11 pm

Originally posted by janeyray
I watched it on Sky News this morning, at first I thought it was somewhere in the UK, but no!! It's here in lovely Oz!

The area has a mixture of council flats and inner city yuppie dwellings. The area is a heat and pollution sink although the train station is convenient.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:20 pm
Banned

Default "The Block": The 'Original ...

To know Urban Dreamers you must first know the history of The BLOCK
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:22 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

just in case you missed this last time http://www.guardian.co.uk/gun/Story/...134861,00.html
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:34 am
Merlot

Originally posted by janeyray

The place can be a bit "ferel" at anytime!

If you go to the railway station, they tell you to stand between the marked lines on the platform, otherwise City Rail cannot guarantee your safety! (You move out of the flood lights and camera's you see).

Yep, I thought it was Oldham when I put on Sky News, shows you the whole world is cracked!

Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:42 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wengerboy
just in case you missed this last time http://www.guardian.co.uk/gun/Story/...134861,00.html

Here's a proposed solution, I think this bloke needs his warp speed turned down a bit:

Police chief wants 'Star Trek' phasers
From AFP
February 16, 2004
A BRITISH police chief has revealed the type of weapon he would most like to see officers carry in the future, it was reported Saturday - a disabling "phaser gun" of the sort used in television show Star Trek.

The gun - which Deputy Chief Constable Ian Arundale admitted might not be developed for many years - would be able to turn "someone's brain off", he was quoted as saying by The Guardian.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

I thought it was just some angry commuters stuck over the weekend.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 7:45 am

The Mrs used to live around the corner from the Block when she was at Uni. Firebombings were a regular occurance including the burning of a pub which killed several people.

Back then there were questions about whether there were outside forces at work wanting to redevelop the Block. Not all the firebombings were committed by the residents. The Block is located next to Redfern station which has excellent connections to most of cityrail. The Block is also near by Broadway, Sydney Uni and UTS.

Funnily enough straight after last night Brogden (liberal opposition NSW leader) is proposing the raising of the block.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Redfern riots

From what I can gather the Sydney police brought much of this on themselves. They have a very poor reputation amongst white middle class people for their general behaviour and attitudes. God knows what it must be like to be a poor aboriginie in Sydney.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:06 am
Banned

Default Re: Redfern riots

Originally posted by jasonK944
From what I can gather the Sydney police brought much of this on themselves. They have a very poor reputation amongst white middle class people for their general behaviour and attitudes. God knows what it must be like to be a poor aboriginie in Sydney.
Let us say that the police do not always act with the greatest of tact or intelligence but then neither do the riffraff element of Redfern.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by bondipom
The area has a mixture of council flats and inner city yuppie dwellings. The area is a heat and pollution sink although the train station is convenient.

Not any more ! Didn't I read they torched the train station ??

Takes me back to my yoof, living up North all this rioting ! Think I'll avoid this area when we get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.