Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Rail Travel Suburbs/Kings Cross

Sydney - Rail Travel Suburbs/Kings Cross

Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of
Default Sydney - Rail Travel Suburbs/Kings Cross

I know, I know, I feel your inward groans, another bl--dy Sydney question.

If all goes well, my OH will be working on William Street near Kings Cross station. I've spent the evenings searching between real estate web sites and 131500 and my eyes are aching, so I'm asking for your help on this one - again

The criteria would be a max 45 min train journey, a suburb within easy reach of the train station, he'll probably get a motorbike to travel to the station (should be a laugh in a suit), price range max 750,000. Good school catchment area, family area, detached homes, spacious, leafy. I also want a pool and sea/river/lake views, even if it's from a distance - too much to ask, I know.

Name the suburb I should be looking at or am I dilluded

It would be lovely to live near somewhere like Manly for my OH to catch the ferry, but we can't afford Manly and I don't think the ferry point is anywhere near William Street anyway

I need some pointers please. It's so difficult to judge distance and transport links and as we'll be giving up a lot, I need to know we're making the right decisions.

Thank you so much (grovel grovel).

I'm almost dreading clicking the submit thread button, but here goes.

Cheryl
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney - Rail Travel Suburbs/Kings Cross

For your budget you'd need to focus on the western suburbs of Sydney, possibly Sutherland Shire in the south. They have reasonable commuting links by train but obviously out west you won't get a view of any water. To be blunt you are a little unrealistic in your expectations (wish list) and your budget. Cut out the 'view', don't set your heart on a pool, and it is doable in one of the suburbs in Sydney that I have indicated above.

Sydney is a smashing place to live but you really need to think of the house pricesit in terms of any major developed city - i.e you wouldn't anticipate buying a 4 bed detached house, with a pool, in a fairly central location in Los Angeles so you would be niave to expect that in Sydney, unless you are selling like for like in your home country.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:46 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

If he's going to be working near Kings Cross, consider somewhere in the southern suburbs (direct train to Kings Cross and then on to the CBD). For your budget, there are houses in places like Hurstville, Kogarah, Rockdale, and in the Shire there are some areas where you could probably pick up a 60s or 70s brick veneer or permaclad house. These aren't so-called blue ribbon suburbs, but tend to be popular with migrant families of a variety of nationalities. Bit of plane noise though, so you'd have to be careful not to be directly under any flight path.

Sea/river views - the more expensive houses (above a million and upwards) have hogged them unfortunately. You may have to settle for just a nice leafy outlook instead.

Pools - luck of the draw. Sometimes they decrease the value of properties (people aren't keen on the upkeep), so you may be lucky and find a 4 bed detached house with one...

I'm sure someone will post soon though about bargain houses you can buy out in the sticks for about $1.50, and that will take only about 2 hours to commute into work from.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chels
If he's going to be working near Kings Cross, consider somewhere in the southern suburbs (direct train to Kings Cross and then on to the CBD). For your budget, there are houses in places like Hurstville, Kogarah, Rockdale, and in the Shire there are some areas where you could probably pick up a 60s or 70s brick veneer or permaclad house. These aren't so-called blue ribbon suburbs, but tend to be popular with migrant families of a variety of nationalities. Bit of plane noise though, so you'd have to be careful not to be directly under any flight path.

Sea/river views - the more expensive houses (above a million and upwards) have hogged them unfortunately. You may have to settle for just a nice leafy outlook instead.

Pools - luck of the draw. Sometimes they decrease the value of properties (people aren't keen on the upkeep), so you may be lucky and find a 4 bed detached house with one...

I'm sure someone will post soon though about bargain houses you can buy out in the sticks for about $1.50, and that will take only about 2 hours to commute into work from.
Try Oatley, Lugarno, Peakhurst, South Hurstville, these suburbs are nearer the Georges River, you will pay much more for a view, perhaps $1m or more at Oatley. The Sutherland shire has nice leafy suburbs. I agree about the pools, years ago they were much wanted, not so much nowadays because of the upkeep, especially with a few great aquatic centres opening up now in Sydney. Go to www.cityrail.info to get a map of the train line and timetables. I wouldn't consider Kogarah, Arncliffe and especially Rockdale and Bexley because of the flight path - very noisy.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:39 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
I wouldn't consider Kogarah, Arncliffe and especially Rockdale and Bexley because of the flight path - very noisy.
Cheap housing though, within the OP's budget
Old Apr 18th 2007, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone, this gives me more to go on.

I know what you mean about the pool and views etc, I was just in dream lala land for a moment there, but thought if I didn't ask...

To be honest, I'd probably prefer a jacuzzi style outdoor tub than a pool. I had a pool in South Africa and never bothered with it, it just gave the ex something to moan about and congratulate himself on when the ph was perfect.

I've given my husband all the negative details about suburbs vs house prices, travel times, gridlock, you name it. It's up to him now to negotiate the best and highest package with his head office, but they (the Germans) like to take their time, cos me and steve are so laid back, we can wait, take yer time - like bl--dy hell, I wish they'd get a move on!

Thanks again.

Cheryl
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by StevenChez
I know, I know, I feel your inward groans, another bl--dy Sydney question.

If all goes well, my OH will be working on William Street near Kings Cross station. I've spent the evenings searching between real estate web sites and 131500 and my eyes are aching, so I'm asking for your help on this one - again

The criteria would be a max 45 min train journey, a suburb within easy reach of the train station, he'll probably get a motorbike to travel to the station (should be a laugh in a suit), price range max 750,000. Good school catchment area, family area, detached homes, spacious, leafy. I also want a pool and sea/river/lake views, even if it's from a distance - too much to ask, I know.

Name the suburb I should be looking at or am I dilluded

It would be lovely to live near somewhere like Manly for my OH to catch the ferry, but we can't afford Manly and I don't think the ferry point is anywhere near William Street anyway

I need some pointers please. It's so difficult to judge distance and transport links and as we'll be giving up a lot, I need to know we're making the right decisions.

Thank you so much (grovel grovel).

I'm almost dreading clicking the submit thread button, but here goes.

Cheryl

Depends if you want to live in a house or a flat...there are some flats in the eastern suburbs for less than $500k and then there are houses for less that $700k just depends what you want.

You can still live on the Northern Beaches (Manly, Balgowlah, Seaforth) and then just express bus it in to work and then get a train to King Cross if you really wanted to...

You are going to rent somewhere first I take it and then decide after a while where to buy? That would be the easiest way to give you an idea
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to the pointers I've found Kyle Bay http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176932236 - just a 'tad' bit out of our price range, but the surrounding burbs are a definite contender.

I felt quite down this morning in the certainty that we wouldn't possibly be able to move to Sydney because of the variable house prices, but thanks to you guys that have posted, I'm feeling a hell of a lot better.

The link is the perfect house style/location for me (or so it would seem from here) and it's the best I've seen (and yes I see the garden fence, but then I see my neighbours, neighbours fence from 'here'). If theres anyone in the area that can give me a good idea of schools, transport, driving times, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again Chels, Ginger, Hedge-hog Girl, Hubbard. I could hug ya. cxx
Old Apr 19th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Hi Chez

Sutherland Shire has some very nice parts, but you need to be aware of the flight path and how it affects some of these suburbs.

There are so many suburbs that fit your criteria (except for the water view!) that's it's hard to know where to begin. The northside is full of such places, but if you want the view and are prepared to go a little further, the beautiful Berowra and Berowra Waters spring to mind.

For something like this: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176947176

you can get virtually everything that you want in your budget. Downside is the extra distance from Sydney (44km) but the huge advantage is that there's a train line that takes just under an hour (7.40am from Berowra gets to Town Hall 8.34am) plus you're right next to the absolutely beautiful Berowra Waters that flows out to meet the Hawkesbury River. You're not far from the lovely Central Coast, with it's pristine beaches and it's a really calm lifestyle up there, from relatives who I know currently live there. They run the Berowra post office and couldn't be happier. They have two children in great schools as well and wouldn't move back to the hustle and bustle of closer Sydney life for quids (they used to live in Ryde).

Anyway, just wanted to give you an alternative to the southside - hope the searching is fun
Old Apr 19th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Sydney - Rail Travel Suburbs/Kings Cross

Originally Posted by StevenChez
Thanks to the pointers I've found Kyle Bay http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176932236 - just a 'tad' bit out of our price range, but the surrounding burbs are a definite contender.

I felt quite down this morning in the certainty that we wouldn't possibly be able to move to Sydney because of the variable house prices, but thanks to you guys that have posted, I'm feeling a hell of a lot better.

The link is the perfect house style/location for me (or so it would seem from here) and it's the best I've seen (and yes I see the garden fence, but then I see my neighbours, neighbours fence from 'here'). If theres anyone in the area that can give me a good idea of schools, transport, driving times, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks again Chels, Ginger, Hedge-hog Girl, Hubbard. I could hug ya. cxx

If you go to www.wikipedia.com and do a search for "Kyle Bay" you will get a run-down of the suburb. At the bottom of the page you will see a list of surrounding suburbs which you can get more info on. Go to www.whereis.com for distances in kms, driving times, map and directions from suburb to suburb. Don't forget www.cityrail.info for train timetables and map of the Sydney rail lines.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
If you go to www.wikipedia.com and do a search for "Kyle Bay" you will get a run-down of the suburb. At the bottom of the page you will see a list of surrounding suburbs which you can get more info on. Go to www.whereis.com for distances in kms, driving times, map and directions from suburb to suburb. Don't forget www.cityrail.info for train timetables and map of the Sydney rail lines.
Ooh, thanks for those links, I'll be on to them shortly. Thanks Ginger.

Thanks Jacque (again), yeeaah Berowra looks so nice and relaxed, I could def spend time there.

Cheryl
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jacque
Hi Chez

For something like this: http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...&tm=1176947176

you can get virtually everything that you want in your budget. Downside is the extra distance from Sydney (44km) but the huge advantage is that there's a train line that takes just under an hour (7.40am from Berowra gets to Town Hall 8.34am) plus you're right next to the absolutely beautiful Berowra Waters that flows out to meet the Hawkesbury River.
May only be an hour on the train BUT you need to factor in getting to the station, waiting for the train, and getting to your office once the train gets to it's destination. You'd most likely be looking at an hour and half commute each way. Pretty tiring after a day in the office.