Reload this Page >

Sydney Questions

Sydney Questions

Old May 31st 2008, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Ovalkeith is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Questions

Hi,

I've just been offered a job in Sydney so now the `wouldn't it be nice` has turned into a `Oh, its actually a reality, we'd better start organising stuff!`

Using realestate.com and google earth we've found what look like nice areas but could do with some info.

We've been looking around the Bangor, Bonnet Bay, Oyster bay area which looks a really nice area though there aren't a huge amount of houses which meet what we need.
The other area we've seen is Prestons which has stunning houses. The prices seem to be a little too good so we're wondering whats the catch.

Does anyone on here live or know about these areas and can they shed any more light on them. I've read that the south west suffers from high crime rates - does Prestons fall into this area
We're looking for preferably a 4 bed (though 3 bed will be fine) but must have a double garage probably upto about $600 a week.

As we have two kids (5 and 7) we'll be looking for schools too so any info on good ones in the area would be appreciated.
Finally as we have a dog, has anyone had any problems renting with a pet?

Sorry for my first post being loads of questions but I'm sure there'll be lots more

Thanks
Keith
Old May 31st 2008, 10:14 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Questions

Without wanting to offend any one who lives there - aviod as much of the South West of Sydney as you can. There are many (most of them?!)undesirable areas, from Bankstown down to Campbelltown.
Macquarie Fields, Liverpool, Carramar, Casula are all areas that I would specifically want to avoid if I had come to start a new life in another country.

Bangor, Bonnet Bay etc I have no experience of, but are getting close to Sutherland which is considered to be a good area so may be worth checking out.

Good luck in your search...

Last edited by stevemich; May 31st 2008 at 10:17 pm.
Old May 31st 2008, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Steve,

That explains the seemingly cheap prices in Prestons

Thanks
Keith
Old Jun 1st 2008, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

In general the advice is always to avoid the Western suburbs.

Have you thought about the Hills area? (Castle Hill, West Pennant Hills etc.) A lot of people who post here live around there and the feedback is that they are good, family areas with good schools, shopping etc. I just did a search on Domain for you and rentals are well within your price range.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:02 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=540180

www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...s&snf=rbs&a=sf
Old Jun 1st 2008, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

The age old rumor that suburbs such as Cabrematta give an
instant thought of crime with a large Asian community triads
and all that but in reality there are like in most suburbs
just family houses people going about there daily buisnes
anywere west of seven hills is deemed as bad when in reality its
a crock

But in reality Graffity and social problems in the hills areas seems to have
risen in the last few years quite alarmingly
Old Jun 1st 2008, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.

I've seen a lot of comments saying steer clear of the southwest suburbs or the west suburbs, but where exactly does this mean? Its a big place and there are a lot of areas that could fall into these categories.

Using the magic of Google Earth and realestate.com, we are currently surfing properties directly west and a little northwest.
I will be working in Granville so basically following the railway out towards Penrith.
There seems to be alot of new build around Pemulmuy and Wentworthville.

Has anyone got experience of these areas and also of Penrith?
I see on Domain.com theres a large UK contingent there so someone on here must live in Penrith....and it has the added bonus of being able to watch the Panthers :-)
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ovalkeith
Hi,

We've been looking around the Bangor, Bonnet Bay, Oyster bay area which looks a really nice area though there aren't a huge amount of houses which meet what we need.

We're looking for preferably a 4 bed (though 3 bed will be fine) but must have a double garage probably upto about $600 a week.

As we have two kids (5 and 7) we'll be looking for schools too so any info on good ones in the area would be appreciated.
Finally as we have a dog, has anyone had any problems renting with a pet?

Sorry for my first post being loads of questions but I'm sure there'll be lots more

Thanks
Keith
I live in Bonnet Bay & have friends in Oyster Bay, sorry never been to Bangor. Most of the Shire is family friendly and I know all the local kids in my area go to Bonnet Bay Public School (don't have kids myself).

There is very limited rental stock on the market in the area as it is mostly owner occupiers. That having been said I know a place near us was recently offered for rental, 4 bed, 2 bath 1 carport all in need of a lot of TLC at $530/week. The first day it was open for inspection I would probably say around 20 groupsmust have viewed it, not sure what happened in the end. Oyster Bay is probably fairly similar. A dog will probably put you lower down the interest as due to the rental shortage landlords can defintiely pick & chose.

Not sure why you desparately want a double garage, we have a hugh carport but most the time just park on the road.

Where abouts in Sydney are you working? Como is probably the closest station to Oyster Bay which is only served by the half hourly slower Waterfall Services, Bonnet Bay is close to Jannali & Sutherland both of which get the faster services to.

If you want more info send me a PM.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 12:23 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
a crock

eh????
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stariston
a crock

Hi Tony

I don't know which part of the Hills you're referring to, with this increasing graffiti and social problems? Could you elaborate? I'm a longtime resident and certainly haven't noticed any of this.

Agree that western Sydney tends to get tarred with the same brush, when the reality is quite different, however. Suburbs vary widely, from Mt Druitt to Quakers Hill, and there's nothing quite like local knowledge to know which areas to specifically "avoid".

Keith

Sydney really is a big place and I would suggest, given your work parameters in Granville, that both the Hills and Penrith would suit. However, you ideally need to take a look around yourself on a reccie trip and decide where you'd like to live. If public transport is also a must, then the Hills may not suit, whereas the western and southwest rail lines may do.