Reload this Page >

Sydney questions

Sydney questions

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney questions

Hello all

We are arriving in Sydney in 5 weeks time.
We are anxious to sort out Medicare and Tax Number asap on arrival.
Can anyone give us advice on address's where we can go to get these 2 jobs done.

Many thanks
Nicki (jasmin)
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:23 pm
Jaj

Default Re: Sydney questions

The ATO have an office in Market Street in the CBD (right under the Sydney Tower) -
you should be able to get a TFN number there. They have offices elsewhere in Sydney
too - http://www.ato.gov.au or look them up in
the phone book.

Medicare has offices all over Sydney, eg in shopping centres. Look in the phone book
or check their website, http://www.hic.gov.au

Jeremy

>On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:05:11 +0000, jasmin <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hello all
    >We are arriving in Sydney in 5 weeks time. We are anxious to sort out Medicare and
    >Tax Number asap on arrival. Can anyone give us advice on address's where we can go
    >to get these 2 jobs done.
    >Many thanks Nicki (jasmin)
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Tatiana is an unknown quantity at this point

Jaj already gave you an answer, I'd like to add a bit:
as soon as you arrive to Au, you will be eligible for Medicare treatment (in case something happened) even without the card, but you won't be able to register there before they get info from immigration about your arrival. From experience of the people came to Au recently it takes from 1 to 2 weeks, so there is now point at all to rush there on the first day and even in the first week.

And there is one rule in this country: There is nothing urgent in Australia , so relax and ejoy!
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

jasmin is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 8:58 pm
Jaj

I've never heard of that before. Take your passport and visa to the Medicare office,
they should be able to register you straight away.

Jeremy

>On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:41:50 +0000, Tatiana <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Jaj already gave you an answer, I'd like to add a bit: as soon as you arrive to Au,
    >you will be eligible for Medicare treatment (in case something happened) even
    >without the card, but you won't be able to register there before they get info from
    >immigration about your arrival. From experience of the people came to Au recently it
    >takes from 1 to 2 weeks, so there is now point at all to rush there on the first day
    >and even in the first week.
    >And there is one rule in this country: There is nothing urgent in Australia , so
    >relax and ejoy!
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 4th 2002, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

Also to arrive in Sydney in about 3 weeks.
:PARTY:

My friend there, advised me to go as soon as possible to Medicare to be covered just in case something bad happens. Still, I don't like to take any risks so I was thinking of getting a travell insurance for a 3-4 days here, maybe I won't be able to get to Medicare next day after my arrival . Of course I'm not keen to spend more money if I am covered by Medicare immediately after our arrival, errr...am I?
Old Sep 4th 2002, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

Australia and the UK have reciprical(?) health cover agreements. You are covered for emergencies on arrival.
Old Sep 4th 2002, 7:40 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by onlyme:
Australia and the UK have reciprical(?) health cover agreements. You are covered for emergencies on arrival.
Personal experience of emergency cover - My Darling son broke his wrist after 10 days of being here - skate park accident (liitle gem was not wearing protective gear we forked out for). Total cost $10 for a specific cast. We had xrays, follow up appointments and a super doctor who gave him a great talking to!!! We are currently here on a 457. Husband flashed the UK passport and there was no issue.