Sydney question

Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Sydney question

Hubby and I are off to Sydney for a month. Hubby's boss down there has resigned and the company want him to hold the fort for a month. They are paying for our apartment down there, so it will be like a paid holiday, well for Zeke and I anyway LOL.

What is the weather like there at the mo? Will I need jeans and a jumper some days? I am mainly asking as I will need to get some maternity jeans if it will be cool some days.

Also does anyone know of any activities to do in Sydney with an overactive two year old. I think we will be based near the city centre.

I am pretty excited, but a little bit nervous. It feels like a big trip with such a little one. We are hoping to drive down over the weekend, stopping over in a couple of motels, so that we will have the car when we get there to use. Does anyone know of any good things to see en route from Brissie to Sydney. We will need to take frequent stops as Zeke gets bit fed up in the car.

Thanks and sorry it is a long post

Katie
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:59 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney question

Hi Katie

Congratulations on expecting again! Can't help you with sensible stop off advice en route as I have never done the journey but I can help you a bit with the weather here in Sydney. I wouldn't bother with getting any maternity jeans - I haven't had jeans on for several weeks now. We have had a beautifully warm spell but even when we get a cooler day (21 degrees is about as low as it's getting of late) you should be fine with some thin trousers and long sleeves, nothing too heavy.

If you are based in the city you'll be able to use the ferries - a day at the beach in Manly or a visit to Taronga Zoo etc. Keep your eyes open, we have frequent Sydney meets (mums and kids mostly) so you may be free to come along to one of those!

Have fun!

B
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:01 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

we're just back from a family holiday to Oz which included my 6 year old nephew. There is a great (and massive) aquarium right in Darling Harbour which is very accessible. Next door is a wildlife 'experience' which he also loved. If you go down the coast a bit (maybe 30 minutes by train) there is a much bigger wildlife park (can't remember the name, will ask my sister and mail you!)
which was fantastic too.

Most of the decent guide books will have a section on what to do with kids and of course with the weather being nice there's always the beach!

have a great time!

Therese
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Thanks B and Theresa. Zeke loves fish and animals and the beach so I think he will be happy I hope that we will be able to come along to one of the Sydney meet ups. I will look out for them.

Thanks again
Katie
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:53 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

If you've never been go to Bondi....and see how crap it really is!!

Then go to Manly....where the locals go.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:02 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
If you've never been go to Bondi....and see how crap it really is!!

Then go to Manly....where the locals go.
I visited Sydney twice before moving here 20mths ago & the closet I got to Bondi beach is the Bondi Junction shopping centre

Watson Bay is good for views of the city, a lovely play park, and beach - go the side where Doyles is as the last time we were there there was broken glass on the beach the other side of the pier. Also during the week the last ferry back to the city is early/mid arvo.

Darling Harbour - aquarium (can get better price/voucher online) & another good play park, relax in the Chinese gardens (fishes to see in the water).

Very touristy - the mono rail, but our little one loved it, a bit like the cable car at taronga zoo. Zoo is on steep hill but I managed a bit of it with my toddler & I was nearly nine months pregnant at the time.

We also go to most of the meets Binbird mentioned (mum to nearly 3yr old & 1yr old)

enjoy Sydney

Last edited by walaj; Oct 6th 2007 at 10:11 am.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the tip. Though I may head straight to Manly as I would be too self conscious to lug my preggie body round Bondi in front of the beautiful people LOL.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KatieStar
Thanks for the tip. Though I may head straight to Manly as I would be too self conscious to lug my preggie body round Bondi in front of the beautiful people LOL.
On the way down is, Nambucca Heads, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie. A little off track is Nelsons bay where you can go whale watching or dolphin watching. North of Sydney is The Australian Reptile Park. Somewhere in Syndey is Featherdale wildlife park which I loved and of course the Blue Mountains.

Jo