Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Quarantine Kennels

Sydney Quarantine Kennels

Old Jan 4th 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Teddybex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Quarantine Kennels

We're hopefully flying out to Sydney later this year and will be taking our dog. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of the kennels in Sydney and what they are like about you visiting your dog? I've read that you can only visit them on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Is this the case or are they flexible at all? I'm just worried as our dog isn't great with strangers so thought he might feel better if we visited him more often, plus, I'm going to miss him like mad!!

Thanks in advance everyone
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice
Default Re: Sydney Quarantine Kennels

Originally Posted by Teddybex
We're hopefully flying out to Sydney later this year and will be taking our dog. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of the kennels in Sydney and what they are like about you visiting your dog? I've read that you can only visit them on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Is this the case or are they flexible at all? I'm just worried as our dog isn't great with strangers so thought he might feel better if we visited him more often, plus, I'm going to miss him like mad!!

Hi there, the only info I have is re. my 3 cats who're gonna be going there. If you enter eastern creek quarantine into google, you'll get info on the station. You're right it is only Tue/Thur 1330-1530 visiting times. I was advised against visiting our cats as it'll stress them out when we leave again, but we'll be in Brisbane anyway so that decision's made for us. The phone no. is on the site too. 61 2 9625 4566. Have spoken to them, very pleased with photos on website, and attitude on phone.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Chalkfarm will become famous soon enough

We will be using these kennels as we go out at the end of feb,and we have been told by others they are great.We have decided not to visit him though as we think he will get so stressed by us coming and going and not taking him home with us .
Have you had any quotes yet,we have had 2 so far,and they are both £3000.
Good luck I am sure he will be fine!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
We will be using these kennels as we go out at the end of feb,and we have been told by others they are great.We have decided not to visit him though as we think he will get so stressed by us coming and going and not taking him home with us .
Have you had any quotes yet,we have had 2 so far,and they are both £3000.
Good luck I am sure he will be fine!

I had 3 quotes about 6 months ago which were all around £2300, I'm sure they've gone up now though. What sort of dog have you got? We've got an Akita and our best quote was with Golden Arrow.
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

speissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nicespeissi is just really nice

Hi Teddybex,
had my 2 cats with Eastern Creek last June/July. The staff at the quarantine station is very nice and caring for the animals. One of my cats, for example, arrived with cystitis and had to get medicine, and apparently she was very upset with the whole journey, so she didn't eat quite well as well. The carer in charge has been in daily contact with me for the first week to inform me about the progress.

Regarding visits there is a restriction to Tues & Thurs (13:30 - 15:30).
B/f and I visited the cats 2 times, but decided then not to come again until their release because it had upset the poor little 'uns more seeing us leaving without them every time than it did them good to see us at all.

To sum it up, the Eastern Creek quarantine station is doing a great job,is also very clean&neat and, most important to me, has very caring and dedicated staff.
With me worried like mad before the big move, their great job with my 2 beloved uns had put my mind at rest, esp having had seen my cats easing into settling in after their release.

All the best,
Sonja
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

I had 3 quotes about 6 months ago which were all around £2300, I'm sure they've gone up now though. What sort of dog have you got? We've got an Akita and our best quote was with Golden Arrow.
We have got a weimaraner.
I have got Golden arrows number and they are next on the list to call,I am sure it goes on size of crate.Just my luck should of gone for a toy poodle!
We have been shocked on the price,and it does not include the boarding at sydney!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:38 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

My dog Poppy is coming with us - we are going to move to Brisbane (hopefully Nov 2005) so she will also have to go into quarantine in sydney. Unsure whether I will upset her more or less by visiting - we considered flying into Sydney and timing it that we collect her at the end of her 30 days and us arriving in Sydney. I am worried as Poppy sleeps in her bed in our bedroom and likes us to cover her up with her blanket at bedtime She has been in kennels once or twice before and barked the whole time (she lost her bark for months), however the very experienced guy who ran the kennels felt she wasn't distressed just attention seeking!!!! He actually made us bring her there for free practice days to assess her behaviour and he wouldn't take her if she was anxious or distressed - so I feel reasurred in that sense.

We have not asked for quotes yet as I feel it is too early on.

I am much more worried about her surviving the flight as she gets anxious with loud noise, and I am frightened about the men manhandling the crate in and out of the hold. Watching 'airline' the other night Stuart the animal welfare officer for Heathrow got on the plane to collect some crates of birds and they were not secured properly at the departure airport and some crates were tipped over and everything. I also remember another episode of airline where a collie dog had escaped out of its crate at luton and was running amok all around the runways and stuff. when they captured it it was so distressed it was virtually doing backflips. I am sorry to worry so much, but these programmes don't do much to help! Anyway am prepared to take the risk as couldn't leave her and she will love her new life in Oz!

Lynn
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Those episodes have just come back to me,now I am worried.I know it is going to stress me out just thinking of the journey,I had not thought about the transfer to the airport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 4th 2005, 7:59 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chalkfarm
Those episodes have just come back to me,now I am worried.I know it is going to stress me out just thinking of the journey,I had not thought about the transfer to the airport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I could go in the hold with her! Just to check they have not piled suitcases on top of her crate - and have tied it up properly - and have shut the door properly......oh my god I am more neurotic about this than anything else!!!!!

Lauralollipop where are you? You must be getting stressed about Montu by now?

Laura is moving to Melbourne I think in January and is taking her dog with goldenarrow - she hasn't been on the forum for ages.

Lynn
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I am much more worried about her surviving the flight as she gets anxious with loud noise, and I am frightened about the men manhandling the crate in and out of the hold. Watching 'airline' the other night Stuart the animal welfare officer for Heathrow got on the plane to collect some crates of birds and they were not secured properly at the departure airport and some crates were tipped over and everything. I also remember another episode of airline where a collie dog had escaped out of its crate at luton and was running amok all around the runways and stuff. when they captured it it was so distressed it was virtually doing backflips. I am sorry to worry so much, but these programmes don't do much to help! Anyway am prepared to take the risk as couldn't leave her and she will love her new life in Oz!

Lynn
Oh No, I'm even more worried than before now I can't believe they get away with treating animals like that. Especially after we pay so much to send them in the first place!
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
I wish I could go in the hold with her! Just to check they have not piled suitcases on top of her crate - and have tied it up properly - and have shut the door properly......oh my god I am more neurotic about this than anything else!!!!!

Lynn
I totally agree, I would sit in the crate with him if I could just to make sure he's alright, I'm such a big softie! He's part of the family though
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:11 am
Professional Princess

Ive got web addresses and info on pet export.

If anyone would like it, pm me with your email and I will send it to you.

Old Jan 5th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

SydneyStace will become famous soon enoughSydneyStace will become famous soon enough

I drive past the quarantine building pretty much every day. I could always pop in to say hi to your animals...I'm sure they would love to have a bit of British "animal loving" company! Not like the aussie's who shove their pets out in the yard and let them bark non-stop!