Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Sydney pricey ?

Is Sydney pricey ?

Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice
Default Is Sydney pricey ?

Can a single person survive in Sydney on a perm job salary of (100K + Super)?

I have heard from many that Sydney is pricey and many have left because they could not afford the high prices.

Kindly advise.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Sydney pricey ?

Originally Posted by msi geek View Post

I have heard from many that Sydney is pricey and many have left because they could not afford the high prices.

Kindly advise.
Day-to-day living expenses are no different to anywhere else, in Australia. You don't pay more for food/utilities/clothing/fuel etc because you're in Sydney as opposed to say Perth or Brisbane, and some prices would be less in Sydney than in rural or country areas.

Where Sydney is more expensive is where housing is concerned. Housing (buying and renting) is expensive for anywhere close and convenient. If you live somewhere further out to take advantage of cheaper housing, you're then up for higher commuting costs.

Last edited by NickyC; Jun 28th 2008 at 4:18 am. Reason: Clarified post
Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

msi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nicemsi geek is just really nice

I am currently working in Wellington (NZ) and the prices here also have hit the roof (esp. the food prices - $ 2000/month for a single person on basic food stuffs alone)

I am looking for suitable work in Sydney, which I hear, is also pricey (most expensive city to live in Australia).
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:19 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

(esp. the food prices - $ 2000/month for a single person on basic food stuffs alone)
$2,000 per month, for a single person, for basic food stuffs?

b*ll*cks.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Kindly advise.
Yes a single person could easily live on that wage in Sydney.

Sydney is pricey, but so is everywhere in Australia now, the average wage is only 46k a year. So 100k is enough to live off.

www.domain.com.au will give you a price of rentals.

Mikey
Old Jun 28th 2008, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by markallwood View Post
$2,000 per month, for a single person, for basic food stuffs?

b*ll*cks.
It is true. Food prices have really shot up !

http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwisbeingpum...2/Default.aspx
Old Jun 28th 2008, 6:07 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

It is true. Food prices have really shot up !

http://www.3news.co.nz/Kiwisbeingpum...2/Default.aspx
$2K pm is still an unrealistic figure too quote.

We feed a family on $700 pm (and we eat well )

My parents over for a few weeks claimed Oz was more expensive for food
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Kindly advise.
Yes you could easily survive, but what kind of lifestyle you have will very much depend on how much $ you are bringing with you.

I'd actually say on $100k as a single person that renting your own 1-bed place close the city and paying all the bills would quickly eat into your earnings, especially if you also wanted / needed to run a car.

If you are happy to go into a flat share with other professionals then you'll have plenty of cash to spare at the end of the month. You'll also be more likely to be able to afford somewhere desirable.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 7:57 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Yes you could easily survive, but what kind of lifestyle you have will very much depend on how much $ you are bringing with you.

I'd actually say on $100k as a single person that renting your own 1-bed place close the city and paying all the bills would quickly eat into your earnings, especially if you also wanted / needed to run a car.

If you are happy to go into a flat share with other professionals then you'll have plenty of cash to spare at the end of the month. You'll also be more likely to be able to afford somewhere desirable.
If your smart you would buy, rent it out and live in shared accomodation
Old Jun 28th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent View Post
If your smart you would buy, rent it out and live in shared accomodation
If your smart you wouldnt buy property in Australia full stop, overpriced, bad rates and not worth the hassle.

Mikey
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

How does Queensland compare with Sydney on the price front?

Same job position that fetches 100K in Sydney goes at 75K in Brisbane. But the competition is not as cut-throat as in cities like Melbourne & Sydney.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:50 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

How does Queensland compare with Sydney on the price front?

Same job position that fetches 100K in Sydney goes at 75K in Brisbane. But the competition is not as cut-throat as in cities like Melbourne & Sydney.
On 75k in Brisbane you'd have exactly the same challenges renting your own place - rents have risen dramatically in the last couple of years. Typical 1 bed apartments in suburbs close to the CBD like New Farm, Teneriffe, Fortitude Valley etc are about $330-$350 per week.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:58 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Kindly advise.
Yep you can live on that salary but be prepared to rent unless you want to live in a crappy suburb. Sydney is pricey and as a proportion of income house prices are higher than London and New York.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

$100k is bloody heaps!

I live on $50k and only live 12km from the CBD. I can still afford luxuries like a laptop, broadband, foxtel, overseas trips ect.

Some people just squander their money away. $100k is heaps. Just dont live right in the CBD, it only takes me 15min on the train to get to work, so dont pay double for a shoebox just so you can cut out that 15min train trip.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:16 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Kindly advise.
Depends where you want to live.... if you're prepared to be flexible on the area your living in and providing you don't eat for 5 people - I personally think you'll manage fine... take my hubby he will look forward to me and the kids going home as he will eat light and move to a 1 /2bed place if he can't stay with someone...
Just depends on you as an inidividual if you have expensive taste in accomodation etc then ok you could be stuffed lol

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.