Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Pre Schools / Primary Schools Costs

Sydney Pre Schools / Primary Schools Costs

Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Canberra for 2 days......bored....now Narrabeen on Sydneys northern Beaches
mcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura aboutmcstu1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Sydney Pre Schools / Primary Schools Costs

Can anyone clear up for me when schooling becomes free in Sydney / NSW? Just had the shock of the $50 per session cost of pre school and was wondering when it becomes free?? My son is 3, will be 4 in February.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sydney Pre Schools / Primary Schools Costs

There is no such thing as free pre-school here as far as I know (there is no equivalent to the UK nursery funding for 3 year olds). You can sometimes claim some childcare tax benefit if it's an "approved setting" and you meet the criteria but I haven't got my head around that yet - hopefully someone else can come along and advise better.

Your child will be able to start kindergarten (first year of primary school) in January 2010 if he turns 4 next February. If you are on a 457 visa you have to pay for public schools (I think it's $4,700pa at the moment but wouldn't swear to it), otherwise it's a few hundred bucks depending on the school and what they ask you for.

$50 seems a little on the high side for pre-school so shop around. I pay $43 per day for my daughter who attends pre-school in a private school not a million miles from you.