Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Old Apr 21st 2018, 4:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

All the best for Monday, VS. I live very close to the city, if you need any support (practical or emotional) please do get in touch.

And do come back for a holiday sometime, when you're better placed to enjoy Sydney.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 9:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Dorothy, Spouse and Kooky. So D-day tomorrow .
I'm sort of looking forward to the general anaesthetic as I'm exhausted, it's been a hectic few days. I had a day out to the Central Coast yesterday. Met up with a couple who contacted me about Dr Garvey and we went to the Australian Reptile Park together.
Had a fun time, not huge but well worth a visit. Got my fill of koalas, saw a platypus for the first time, stroked a few snakes for the first time and learned how to capture a funnel-web spider safely!
Sadly the wombats were hiding away. They must've heard that the OH wanted me to take one back to NZ with me.

Had a lovely walk around the botanic gardens this afternoon and had high tea in the hotel. All packed for tomorrow. Just got to remember that I'm NBM from midnight.

Thanks for your good wishes Mrs Dreamy. Kooky that's a really kind offer, thank you. I shall let you know if I'm in need of a visitor. I'm not very good at that sort of thing as I worry about bothering folk but I will bear it in mind, I promise. If I'm kept in for more than 2 nights then I'll be going bananas so may need saving by then
Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

So update time: I had surgery yesterday afternoon which went well. I was very groggy for hours after the surgery which isn't really my normal pattern post-op. Slept on and off until 2.40 am and then awake ever since with yucky nausea.

Saw the surgeon today and the excellent news is that I'm mesh-free at last. Thankfully it hadn't done as much damage as we first thought and it all came out in one piece. I've seen the photos the femoral hernia has been repaired and hopefully will stay that way. It's apparently very rare to have a reoccurrence of a femoral hernia. Sometimes I wish I was more common .
Pain isn't too bad so far, mostly coping on paracetamol. I'm limited to the pain relief I can take due to other health problems.
I've got a gorgeous pair of Ted stocking on and in an ironic twist they are made by the same company that make the mesh I had in me! I'm also carrying a very fetching drain around with me, Gucci it isn't.

So discharged to my friend's house tomorrow and seeing the surgeon on Friday.
Thanks for all your support and good wishes dear people. Much appreciated.
Lovely to talk to you Kooky x
Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:42 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear you sounding so chipper!
Old Apr 24th 2018, 9:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So update time: I had surgery yesterday afternoon which went well. I was very groggy for hours after the surgery which isn't really my normal pattern post-op. Slept on and off until 2.40 am and then awake ever since with yucky nausea.

Saw the surgeon today and the excellent news is that I'm mesh-free at last. Thankfully it hadn't done as much damage as we first thought and it all came out in one piece. I've seen the photos the femoral hernia has been repaired and hopefully will stay that way. It's apparently very rare to have a reoccurrence of a femoral hernia. Sometimes I wish I was more common .
Pain isn't too bad so far, mostly coping on paracetamol. I'm limited to the pain relief I can take due to other health problems.
I've got a gorgeous pair of Ted stocking on and in an ironic twist they are made by the same company that make the mesh I had in me! I'm also carrying a very fetching drain around with me, Gucci it isn't.

Thank you for the update...I was thinking of you yesterday. Very pleased to hear the surgery went well. for a speedy recovery,
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Great news. Hope you have a lovely restful time with your friend. Thanks for the update.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What wonderful news VS. Except about the TED stockings

It's been a long road for you but you made it. Wishing you a peaceful and rapid recovery xx
Old Apr 24th 2018, 12:48 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Great update VS. I'm glad you're feeling ok and with your friend.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Thank you kindly ladies. Shall be heading to my friend's place in Woonona later this morning.
Still sore but overnight I've noticed quite a difference in how my body feels. The feeling of having a cheese grater inside me that felt like it was slicing into me has gone as has the tugging feeling on my skin. Sure it will be even better once the drain is out.
Just got to remember to take it slowly.
Old Apr 25th 2018, 12:53 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you kindly ladies. Shall be heading to my friend's place in Woonona later this morning.
Still sore but overnight I've noticed quite a difference in how my body feels. The feeling of having a cheese grater inside me that felt like it was slicing into me has gone as has the tugging feeling on my skin. Sure it will be even better once the drain is out.
Glad to hear how well you're feeling already. Fingers crossed that the soreness doesn't continue too much longer and you get to enjoy a little of your time in Sydney
Old Apr 25th 2018, 10:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That's a huge change for the better in such a short time I hope you're cosy and comfortable in Woonona VS xx

bbbbb
Old Apr 25th 2018, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful...you must be so relieved. Onwards and upwards.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 4:32 am
Account Closed

Thank you again. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he has referred me for physio before I go home to NZ. He's very happy with my progress. Histology showed that my nerves had infiltrated the mesh and hence why I was in such pain. Had I not had it removed then the pain would have become worse over time. So to have a sense of future and hope has been worth every cent, as well as not having that horrendous pain either.

I'm over the moon. I'm only requiring paracetamol 3 times a day to keep the discomfort at bay. I'm so very glad to have my life back.
Please, please, please warn others about the problems of surgical mesh if you can. I don't want others to have to go through this nightmare.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 4:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Very pleased to read everything has been successful.

Onward for a smooth recovery.
Old Apr 28th 2018, 10:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you again. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he has referred me for physio before I go home to NZ. He's very happy with my progress. Histology showed that my nerves had infiltrated the mesh and hence why I was in such pain. Had I not had it removed then the pain would have become worse over time. So to have a sense of future and hope has been worth every cent, as well as not having that horrendous pain either.

I'm over the moon. I'm only requiring paracetamol 3 times a day to keep the discomfort at bay. I'm so very glad to have my life back.
Please, please, please warn others about the problems of surgical mesh if you can. I don't want others to have to go through this nightmare.
That’s fabulous news...you must be over the moon.