Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Old Mar 16th 2018, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - places to stay, ease of travel and any helpful info

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
It's a major issue around the world. It may seem like a mainly female issue due to the use of mesh in prolapse, incontinence and post-childbirth issues, however there are a significant number of men who are suffering with mesh complications. Their pain and problems are no less than the women suffering this. This stuff can migrate throughout the body, small pieces breaking off and getting into lung tissue etc. It can erode through nerves and other tissues and the list of complications go on.
This stuff wasn't properly tested in human trials. It's interesting that the subject of polypropylene use in water bottles has prompted the WHO to call for safety reviews but implanting polypropylene into our bodies is considered perfectly safe.

The fact that it's affecting many women, means that we are been dismissed as being hysterical and that the pain is all in our heads.

I've heard of folk having the stuff in for 18 years before having serious problems with it, so yes I would be concerned and remain vigilant for any sudden deterioration in your health. Some people have an instant reaction, others it come on more gradually. Certainly some people may never react to it.
There are people in Australia and NZ fighting the use of mesh. It's just starting to gather some momentum now with more litigation in the US against the manufacturers of mesh.

Thanks for the advice.

Best of luck and hope the treatment goes well for you.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Thanks for the advice.

Best of luck and hope the treatment goes well for you.
Many thanks Ozzieeagle. My GP is doing the referral today and is being very supportive. She's been reading up on mesh and complications and I think is very concerned about it. It's great to have her support because I have become somewhat distrustful of the medical profession.

I hope you remain in good health, I hate to read of others suffering with this.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

All the very best VS for your surgery. I agree with Dorothy...you will probably be glad of the 10 day rest/recovery period before you fly back to NZ.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
All the very best VS for your surgery. I agree with Dorothy...you will probably be glad of the 10 day rest/recovery period before you fly back to NZ.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on.
Many thanks JG. I'm counting down the days now until I get this stuff removed. I'm trying not to set my expectations too high for feeling 100% better post-op because I don't know how much internal damage has been caused. I shall be grateful for the recuperation period but I'll be missing the OH.

I shall keep you posted
Old Mar 30th 2018, 12:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this might be of interest https://www.theguardian.com/society/...lth-groups-say
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kooky.
Yes indeed, we were waiting for that to be reported on. I do wish that they would look at other uses of mesh as well. This is an issue for men and women and mesh is mesh. It's plastic and it shouldn't be put in the human body.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 8:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed, we were waiting for that to be reported on. I do wish that they would look at other uses of mesh as well. This is an issue for men and women and mesh is mesh. It's plastic and it shouldn't be put in the human body.
I noticed it was very focussed on women.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 10:13 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky.
I noticed it was very focussed on women.
Of course it was focused on females. If it's a "woman's problem" then it's just a bunch of hysterical females and not to be taken seriously.
Old Apr 5th 2018, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Of course it was focused on females. If it's a "woman's problem" then it's just a bunch of hysterical females and not to be taken seriously.
Quite
Old Apr 6th 2018, 2:58 am
Auntie Fa

No, really?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ullying-bosses

(I had endo in my 30s; thankfully nobody told me it was a psych issue. It was the Hashimotos a doctor in Sydney tried to give me anti-depressants for.)
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

So I arrived in Sydney on Wednesday evening, saw the consultant on Thursday afternoon and he did a thorough assessment of me. Then I was sent for a pelvic xray, ultrasound scan and a CT scan. This morning I had an MRI done and went back to the consultant this evening. He confirmed that I still have a femoral hernia, that the mesh can be seen, thankfully it has been sutured in and not stapled in. The latter makes the situation even worse apparently. He also noted a lump in my groin which could be due to the mesh. The xray showed that I have an unstable pelvis, with the left side being 1cm lower than the right. So he's recommended that I see a podiatrist too.

So I'm booked in for surgery on Monday. I'm so relieved that he's taking this mesh out. I'm knackered but happy. I did get upset this morning because I'm here on my own and desperately missing my OH. I'm meeting up with one of the people who told me about this Doctor tomorrow and I'm going to a Reptile Park so that will be good.
Sunday I'm heading down to Wollongong to see my friends.

As for Sydney, well I like it though I haven't seen very much so far. It's good a good vibe to it. Haven't decided whether I prefer it to Melbourne as yet. Certainly love around the Circular quay area. I shall return with the OH when I'm fully recovered for a proper look around.

Thank you Dorothy for your recommendation. This guy is the bees knees.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

So I arrived in Sydney on Wednesday evening, saw the consultant on Thursday afternoon and he did a thorough assessment of me. Then I was sent for a pelvic xray, ultrasound scan and a CT scan. This morning I had an MRI done and went back to the consultant this evening. He confirmed that I still have a femoral hernia, that the mesh can be seen, thankfully it has been sutured in and not stapled in. The latter makes the situation even worse apparently. He also noted a lump in my groin which could be due to the mesh. The xray showed that I have an unstable pelvis, with the left side being 1cm lower than the right. So he's recommended that I see a podiatrist too.

So I'm booked in for surgery on Monday. I'm so relieved that he's taking this mesh out. I'm knackered but happy. I did get upset this morning because I'm here on my own and desperately missing my OH. I'm meeting up with one of the people who told me about this Doctor tomorrow and I'm going to a Reptile Park so that will be good.

As for Sydney, well I like it though I haven't seen very much so far. It's good a good vibe to it. Haven't decided whether I prefer it to Melbourne as yet. Certainly love around the Circular quay area. I shall return with the OH when I'm fully recovered for a proper look around.

This is such good news. I hope before you head home you're able to see a bit more of Sydney but your health and recovery is obviously paramount. Can they do anything about the hernia? Keeping fingers crossed that it's a very straightforward op and that you recover well and quickly.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This is such good news. I hope before you head home you're able to see a bit more of Sydney but your health and recovery is obviously paramount. Can they do anything about the hernia? Keeping fingers crossed that it's a very straightforward op and that you recover well and quickly.
He's going to repair the hernia too, sans mesh . He doesn't use mesh and hasn't for over 20 years. The really sad thing is that he's not a spring chicken and should be training other surgeons up but they aren't interested. They're all on the mesh gravy train. It's a worry for the future.

I doubt I will see too much more of Sydney this time around sadly but really I'd like to experience it with the OH more. I get tired very quickly these days.
I'm really hoping that this makes a significant difference to my health. I'm a bit worried about expecting too much and maybe too much damage has been done to return me to full fitness. It's hard to manage my expectations.
Thanks for your good wishes MP, I shall update post-op.
Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:29 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like he's got it all in hand. Good luck for Monday
Old Apr 20th 2018, 10:52 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Your surgeon sounds great VS. Hang in there love, you'll soon be rid of that horrible mesh and you'll be back with your DH so he can spoil you. He'd better spoil you! I'll be thinking of you on Monday xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.