Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Perth?

Sydney to Perth?

Old May 1st 2005, 7:31 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough
Default Sydney to Perth?

Thinking of hiring a campervan and driving from Sydney to Perth, as we will have a couple of months spare when we move to Aus.
Britz provide this service where you can pick up your campervan in one city and drop it off in another.
It works out roughly $200 per day for the van (we need the biggest one) does anyone know if there are cheaper options?
A caravan would be fine but I cant find any companies that operate a city to city service. But then we would need a car as well (which we will need eventually anyway I suppose)

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of trip?
Old May 1st 2005, 8:47 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney to Perth?

Originally Posted by pompeywill
Thinking of hiring a campervan and driving from Sydney to Perth, as we will have a couple of months spare when we move to Aus.
Britz provide this service where you can pick up your campervan in one city and drop it off in another.
It works out roughly $200 per day for the van (we need the biggest one) does anyone know if there are cheaper options?
A caravan would be fine but I cant find any companies that operate a city to city service. But then we would need a car as well (which we will need eventually anyway I suppose)

How many people travelling, how long are you wanting to do the drive in. It can be done in 2 days with pretty much solid driving.

Im sure there are other hire campervans that would be cheaper then Britz.... why do you think they use that name? Just need to do a google search.

Anyway the drive is a pretty easy one and there is not too much to see apart from the Great Australian Bight. Plenty of Motels along the way that you can stay at if need be.
Old May 1st 2005, 9:20 am
Going to Perth late 2005

timk is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sydney to Perth?

Originally Posted by pompeywill

Me and the wife drove from Perth to Sydney in 1991 and it took us 8 weeks. We had a great time and just pottered along stopping off at various points of interest. I would head from Sydney into canberra, into the snowy mountains, then drop down to the coast. We camped in national parks, at the roadside and in caravan parks. We had many great experiences and met loads of people doing similar trips. We also camped on a few beaches where there was not another single person to see.

I would do it again if I had the chance, best thing is not to have a schedule and just cruise along taking all the sights and experiences in.

Cheers
Tim