Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney peak time travel question

Sydney peak time travel question

Old Jun 11th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of
Default Sydney peak time travel question

Hi all, here's a question for all those with knowledge of Sydney.

If my husband is working on William Street (area code 2011), near the Hard Rock Cafe, close to the East Sydney College, would travelling from the north be a problem, i.e. crossing over harbour bridge in peak time traffic.

We have never been to Sydney so don't know or appreciate the distances and wonder if we should simply cross northern suburbs off our list of possibilities and concentrate on the south and east coastal areas.

Many thanks your advice.

Cheryl

Last edited by StevenChez; Jun 11th 2007 at 11:43 am. Reason: street name
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney peak time travel question

Originally Posted by StevenChez
Hi all, here's a question for all those with knowledge of Sydney.

If my husband is working on William Street (area code 2011), near the Hard Rock Cafe, close to the East Sydney College, would travelling from the north be a problem, i.e. crossing over harbour bridge in peak time traffic.

We have never been to Sydney so don't know or appreciate the distances and wonder if we should simply cross northern suburbs off our list of possibilities and concentrate on the south and east coastal areas.

Many thanks your advice.

Cheryl
Crossing the harbour travelling south, during morning peak hour is about the worst commute you can do in Sydney. If he's going to William Street then he can use the tunnel and bypass the city which is marginally better than having to go into the CBD - but not much.

If your husband has parking provided then I'd consider doing it if I was desperate - if he has no parking provided then he should forget about driving completely and travel by train instead (to Kings Cross).

Alternatively, live in the east. Easy commute by train or bus.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyC
Crossing the harbour travelling south, during morning peak hour is about the worst commute you can do in Sydney. If he's going to William Street then he can use the tunnel and bypass the city which is marginally better than having to go into the CBD - but not much.

If your husband has parking provided then I'd consider doing it if I was desperate - if he has no parking provided then he should forget about driving completely and travel by train instead (to Kings Cross).

Alternatively, live in the east. Easy commute by train or bus.
Hi NickyC, many thanks. Thought as much reading some of the previous posts on Sydney traffic, but had to be sure. Still, Bronte and surrounding areas look absolutely fantastic!

Thanks again.
Cheryl
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by StevenChez
Hi NickyC, many thanks. Thought as much reading some of the previous posts on Sydney traffic, but had to be sure. Still, Bronte and surrounding areas look absolutely fantastic!

Thanks again.
Cheryl

That they do but the price tags match

If I lived on the northside (lower north shore) I'd be taking the train if the drive was too onerous. The LNS is simply less crowded, quieter and has less tourists cluttering up your weekend peace