Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Opera House

Sydney Opera House

Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:21 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Opera House

Hi.

My mother is about to embark on a trip to Oz and NZ to visit relatives (a mad thing for an 83 year old to do, but never mind). During her stay in Sydney she is being taken to the opera. She has no idea what sort of clothes people wear to the opera there. Are we talking evening dress? Smart casual? Bikinis? <shudders at thought>

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:31 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Sydney Opera House

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Hi.

My mother is about to embark on a trip to Oz and NZ to visit relatives (a mad thing for an 83 year old to do, but never mind). During her stay in Sydney she is being taken to the opera. She has no idea what sort of clothes people wear to the opera there. Are we talking evening dress? Smart casual? Bikinis? <shudders at thought>

Any advice gratefully received.
They wear check shirts, ripped shorts, working boots and hats with corks.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Feb 13th 2006, 3:36 pm

Default Re: Sydney Opera House

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
They wear check shirts, ripped shorts, working boots and hats with corks.

Cheers

Buzzy
I asked for that, I suppose. Any sensible suggestions?
Old Feb 13th 2006, 7:36 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

My parents, sister in law and partner and my best friend who stayed at Christmas with her boyfriend have all been to the opera house. My friend went the whole hog in smart evening wear (us girls love an excuse to dress up!) and I asked her if she was in a minority and she replied that there was pretty much a mix of people wearing generally smart gear right through to the evening wear outfits. The rest of the family just went in "tidy" clothes but remember in today's fashion stakes jeans are "tidy" and can be dressed up with a pretty strappy top and heels if that is your style - not that I am suggesting that this is your mother's outfit of choice, of course!!

I guess in short the answer is, anything goes, bar maybe the bikini!

Hope that helps.

Binbird
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:11 pm
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it depends on what you're going to see...

I went to see Altan, some weeks ago, and I was wearing jeans and t-shirt. They let me in without any problem.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Athena
I guess it depends on what you're going to see...

I went to see Altan, some weeks ago, and I was wearing jeans and t-shirt. They let me in without any problem.
Thanks to you and to binbird.

She's going to see either Madame Butterfly or the Magic Flute.

I suspect that the dress code is pretty much the same as here in Canada, ie, whatever you feel like.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:26 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Thanks to you and to binbird.

She's going to see either Madame Butterfly or the Magic Flute.

I suspect that the dress code is pretty much the same as here in Canada, ie, whatever you feel like.
I saw Carman last year there, I wore casual trousers, shoes and shirt, OH she wore a nice dress. Loved it, real highlight of that trip.
Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

[
We will be there on Saturday for the Opera. It will be smart casual for us. Too hot to wear anything else.

QUOTE=Souvenir]Hi.

Any advice gratefully received.[/QUOTE]