Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney Office Hours

Sydney Office Hours

Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

hlad00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney Office Hours

Can someone let me know what the normal office hours are in Sydney, is it 9 - 5 like over here, or do they start earlier and finish early?

Its just that some one told me they start early and finish early like 3pm
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney Office Hours

Originally Posted by hlad00
Can someone let me know what the normal office hours are in Sydney, is it 9 - 5 like over here, or do they start earlier and finish early?

If its anything like Brisbane, start around 8 and finish around 5 or 5.30.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:25 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My husband starts anywhere from 8.30-9.30am and finishes any time after 5ish. It's pretty relaxed, they treat their staff as adults and trust them to put in the work where it counts. (He often works at home after dinner.)

I don't work (yet) but from using the trains around peak time I think there is a lot of flexitime, but of course your industry/position may dictate otherwise.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:56 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what level you are working - but from my experience you can easily do 8.30am till 6.30 pm without paid overtime if your contract states "hours required to complete work" obviously it is swings and roundabouts sometimes I can pull a 60/70 hour week and the following period get away with 40. I am in a fairly well paid consultancy/management position so I expect this.

Team positions usually complete a 37-40 hours week with some flexi hours being allowed but in my experience over the past six years that Australia works longer hours than a lot of countries and the laid back lifestyle of clocking off early and going to the beach after work is a bit of a myth.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Mine is 8:30 – 17:30

Average is like most cities, 9-5 Mon to Friday, but there is almost always overtime available. But your standard would be the typical 9-5. It also depends what industry.

Mikey
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:05 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I try to do 7:30 to 4:30 but still have to work from home. It depends on your employer and trade rather than city.

I once did a shift that was 6:30 to 2:30 and had a few hours on the surf every day.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

I do 7:30 to 7:30
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinH
I do 7:30 to 7:30
Whats your minute rate?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

s1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nices1mon321 is just really nice

The buses in and out of Wynyard suggest that 8 to 8.30 start is normal, followed by a 5.30 to 6.00 finish.

Most companies in the CBD seem to want more for their money tho - I regularly have no option but to be in at 7.00 and finish at 7.00. A lunchbreak is a complete bonus!

We came here for the better work/life balance but have to admit that we haven't seen any sign of it! Don't mind during Autumn and Winter so much, but when it comes to summer I'm out the door at 5.30 - no discussion.

Still would rather be here than the UK tho!