Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney NYE ideas / meet-up?

Sydney NYE ideas / meet-up?

Old Dec 12th 2011, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

alexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nice
Default Sydney NYE ideas / meet-up?

Hello

I am searching for a bit of a tourist "tick the box" I.E. a good spot to watch the fireworks but something social. Also if I can avoid $600 to $900 for a spot at the Opera House bar or Gala dinner that would be a bonus!

Thanks

Alex
Old Dec 13th 2011, 1:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney NYE ideas / meet-up?

Originally Posted by alexswift
Hello

I am searching for a bit of a tourist "tick the box" I.E. a good spot to watch the fireworks but something social. Also if I can avoid $600 to $900 for a spot at the Opera House bar or Gala dinner that would be a bonus!

Thanks

Alex

Cockatoo Island is meant to be pretty good - you can go and camp there for the night, and it has a great view of the bridge.

Watch out if you intend to drink though - The City of Sydney killjoy council have banned [alcoholic] drinking in most public places with views of the bridge/harbour.

Ballast point Park in Balmain also has a great view of the harbour, and is run by a different council, so you may get a better view there, plus some drinks.
Also Birchgrove and Yurulbin Parks in Birchgrove also have good views. I went to the latter the first year I was here, and there was a great party atmosphere.

S
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Hello

Thanks

Alex
Oh dear, no ticket yet? You may very well be on the streets with the other 2 million people. Opera bar has already sold out.
Avoid any public grassy areas/ parks unless you plan on getting there at 10am and waiting 14 hours to see some fireworks.
If you havent got a ticket you could try some pubs in the rocks, but you still will have to be there by 12pm to get in. After a 6 hour queuing marathon to get in the domain my 1st year here, I always go for a ticketed place. No Q's at the bar, toilets and plenty of standing room.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:03 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Oh dear, no ticket yet? You may very well be on the streets with the other 2 million people. Opera bar has already sold out.
Avoid any public grassy areas/ parks unless you plan on getting there at 10am and waiting 14 hours to see some fireworks.
If you havent got a ticket you could try some pubs in the rocks, but you still will have to be there by 12pm to get in. After a 6 hour queuing marathon to get in the domain my 1st year here, I always go for a ticketed place. No Q's at the bar, toilets and plenty of standing room.

Just reading the paper, and it appears that every public park with a view of the bridge will be an alcohol free zone, so if you want to drink and watch the fireworks, then it will have to be a ticketed place as Mark suggests.

For me, having been a slave to the stupid 'effin fireworks for the last 4 years, I think we're going to go and do something completely different instead.

S
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Just reading the paper, and it appears that every public park with a view of the bridge will be an alcohol free zone, so if you want to drink and watch the fireworks, then it will have to be a ticketed place as Mark suggests.

For me, having been a slave to the stupid 'effin fireworks for the last 4 years, I think we're going to go and do something completely different instead.

S
get friendly with someone who has a view!! pronto!!
I think some of the Thursday CBD crowd might be doing something at a private venue. But if they haven't mentioned it to you then your'e probably not invited!!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

S
But it will still involve alcohol right???
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by paddyo
I think he's going for an evening of basket weaving this year
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:16 am
has lost The Game

get friendly with someone who has a view!! pronto!!
I think some of the Thursday CBD crowd might be doing something at a private venue. But if they haven't mentioned it to you then your'e probably not invited!!

Well, that comes as no surprise.

Not sure yet - were thinking about going to The Mountains, but open to better suggestions. Did the view thing a couple of years ago, and TBH I don't think that experience could ever be topped, so will try and do something different this year. Though, it certainly will involve alcohol...

S
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

S
And here are said vantage points that Mr S suggested http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/van...nteractive-map

Good Luck!

This place is under the bridge http://www.harbourview.com.au/ They dont seem to list any events though, might be worth popping in and asking?

Have we been the harbourview on a Thu?
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:18 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by markbhx
And here are said vantage points that Mr S suggested http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/van...nteractive-map

Good Luck!

This place is under the bridge http://www.harbourview.com.au/ They dont seem to list any events though, might be worth popping in and asking?

Have we been the harbourview on a Thu?

Yeah, went a while back. It's RIGHT under the bridge though - so much so I doubt you would be able to see any fireworks...

S
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, went a while back. It's RIGHT under the bridge though - so much so I doubt you would be able to see any fireworks...

S
Who needs to see em when your almost in em! I still think there is market for a bridgeclimb during the firework show. I'd pay for that!!
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

alexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nice

Thanks for the tips.

I think I needed to be in the country around June to get the right tickets. My manager has a tent on an Island for $500!!

I have sort of a view from my flat but its not really ready for a party its a bit empty plus public transport and road closures not going to work much.

Unless I can score a couch to crash I think I am stuck on the North Side (the north side choice bites again).

Yours

Alex
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:32 am
has lost The Game

Thanks for the tips.

I think I needed to be in the country around June to get the right tickets. My manager has a tent on an Island for $500!!

I have sort of a view from my flat but its not really ready for a party its a bit empty plus public transport and road closures not going to work much.

Unless I can score a couch to crash I think I am stuck on the North Side (the north side choice bites again).

Yours

Alex

The North Side choice will always bite!

There was some talk of shenanigans in Balmain, but I'm not sure what's happening there.

S
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips.

Yours

Alex
I'm on the north, getting in and out isnt too bad as long as you avoid peak hours. I'd aim to get into the city by 8pm at the latest. The trains run all night across the bridge with the exception of 9pm and 12am. I got a bus home last year about 2am without any problems.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

The North Side choice will always bite!

There was some talk of shenanigans in Balmain, but I'm not sure what's happening there.

S
Southern Scum!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.