British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney NYE fireworks - Goer or hopeless. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-nye-fireworks-goer-hopeless-918231/)

BEVS Oct 12th 2018 1:59 am

Sydney NYE fireworks - Goer or hopeless.

Just wondering about the firework displays on NYE in Sydney.

Is it possible to see these without paying mental amounts of $$$$ just to get a squeezed in spot with a gazillion other sweaty bodies , or are there good ways to maybe be in the right time and right place to perhaps see being more relaxed.

I'm not very good with crowds either. :unsure:

We have not been to Sydney. Husband has to have the compulsory two week Xmas/NY shutdown from work. TBH this period is all a bit meh here where we are so we usually do DIY jobs.

I'm also thinking that a break away at this time might be good as it will be my first year, after 20 years, without my Tyler pusscat which may seem a bit daft to some but to me it isn't.

It's just about doing something maybe different if we can and Oz is not too bad to get to from where we are in NZ.

Beoz Oct 12th 2018 3:10 am

Re: Sydney NYE fireworks - Goer or hopeless.

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12576435)

Is it possible to see these without paying mental amounts of $$$$ just to get a squeezed in spot with a gazillion other sweaty bodies , or are there good ways to maybe be in the right time and right place to perhaps see being more relaxed.

We have not been to Sydney. Husband has to have the compulsory two week Xmas/NY shutdown from work. TBH this period is all a bit meh here where we are so we usually do DIY jobs.

I'm also thinking that a break away at this time might be good as it will be my first year, after 20 years, without my Tyler pusscat which may seem a bit daft to some but to me it isn't.

It's just about doing something maybe different if we can and Oz is not too bad to get to from where we are in NZ.

Its a bucket list item. Its good to see if you have never seen it before. Somehow I get dragged along every year to some event somewhere. Whether that be at the zoo, on a yacht, from someone's office (twice done that) or in someone's brothers apartment who happened to be skiing in Europe (the brother didn't know).

Its visible from all over the place though. You can do one of the many parks (some parks to require prior booking). I did it from the park at the observatory one year. That was close up and the crowd wasn't too bad.

Here is a list of free spots. https://www.timeout.com/sydney/thing...-nye-fireworks

Kooky. Oct 12th 2018 6:18 am

I agree with Beoz that you should do it at least once in your life, even if you stand there wondering what good they could have done with all that money.

I've done them twice. The first time was 2001 and the day we got married in the Botanic Gardens; some friends had chartered a boat - cheap and cheerful, handed a can off VB as we got on. That was a fun (and very long and jetlagged) day. A couple of years ago we had visitors and took them to the Opera Gala and after party. It was expensive but enjoyable (it's opera lite) and good value for money - free flow food and decent booze for hours and hours, so much so that we ended up saying no thanks.

My top tip for a view would be the bottom of Blues Point Road. From what I recall from living there they close it off early though. (It's one of my favourite places to take people any night of the year, for a great view of the Opera House through the Bridge.)

I couldn't do it in the crowds, I would punch people. If we're not away we usually go out for a long lunch and then spend the evening in with our cats, TV on loud to mask the sound of the fireworks. (No, I don't think you're at all daft.)

Be aware that hotels will be really expensive and probably well booked up by now. And if you do come, try to stay somewhere you can walk back or get a train.

spouse of scouse Oct 12th 2018 6:38 am

You're not in the least bit daft. Not looking forward to our first Christmas without Murphy under my feet begging for bits of ham.

I was going to take scouse to see the fireworks a few years ago - he hadn't been to Sydney before and it was going to be a surprise Christmas pressie for him. I booked an apartment with a view of the fireworks through Stayz. It came to something like $5,000 for 3 nights, but I thought oh well, it is what it is. The owner initially said he only wanted a $1,000 deposit, with the balance to be paid 4 weeks prior. Then he started emailing me asking if I could pay a bit more (sounded as though he needed the money).

Bottom line is, 6 weeks before New Year I'd paid the lot. I was a bit reluctant because there was no refund for cancellations, but again, it was what it was. 5 weeks before New Year we got the news that scouse's brother in the UK had been diagnosed with cancer and didn't have long to live. Off goes scouse to the UK, off goes me to write an email to the apartment owner explaining the circumstances. I acknowledged the cancellation clause, but asked (really nicely!) if he re-let the apartment, would he consider at least refunding a part of the 5 grand. I knew he'd have no trouble re-letting it as there was absolutely nothing left with views by then. He never even bothered to reply, just relisted the apartment and it was snapped up in a day.

Now I know that rules are rules, and a contract is a contract. But nothing anyone can say will convince me that this bloke isn't an arsehole. I hope whatever he bought with that $5,000 gave him no pleasure at all.

Beoz Oct 12th 2018 9:34 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12576475)
You're not in the least bit daft. Not looking forward to our first Christmas without Murphy under my feet begging for bits of ham.

I was going to take scouse to see the fireworks a few years ago - he hadn't been to Sydney before and it was going to be a surprise Christmas pressie for him. I booked an apartment with a view of the fireworks through Stayz. It came to something like $5,000 for 3 nights, but I thought oh well, it is what it is. The owner initially said he only wanted a $1,000 deposit, with the balance to be paid 4 weeks prior. Then he started emailing me asking if I could pay a bit more (sounded as though he needed the money).

Bottom line is, 6 weeks before New Year I'd paid the lot. I was a bit reluctant because there was no refund for cancellations, but again, it was what it was. 5 weeks before New Year we got the news that scouse's brother in the UK had been diagnosed with cancer and didn't have long to live. Off goes scouse to the UK, off goes me to write an email to the apartment owner explaining the circumstances. I acknowledged the cancellation clause, but asked (really nicely!) if he re-let the apartment, would he consider at least refunding a part of the 5 grand. I knew he'd have no trouble re-letting it as there was absolutely nothing left with views by then. He never even bothered to reply, just relisted the apartment and it was snapped up in a day.

Now I know that rules are rules, and a contract is a contract. But nothing anyone can say will convince me that this bloke isn't an arsehole. I hope whatever he bought with that $5,000 gave him no pleasure at all.

I hope you wrote the above in the Stayz review section for his apartment.

spouse of scouse Oct 12th 2018 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12576527)
I hope you wrote the above in the Stayz review section for his apartment.

I did Beoz, but Stayz refused to publish it - said that since I didn't actually stay in the apartment I wasn't permitted to write a review.

Kooky. Oct 12th 2018 11:01 pm

Was that the days before airbnb? I think they would have sorted it out for you. They seem to have pretty much taken over, not sure if many still use Stayz (which recently rebranded IIRC).

BEVS, we have some airbnb in our complex (unfortunately). It's on the airport line that goes round by Circular Quay (and we're more or less in the middle between the two). If you do decide to come, drop me a note and I'll give you some details. You'd be very welcome to come cuddle a cat or three.

bourbon-biscuit Oct 13th 2018 3:39 am

They're amazing. However, we have only done it from the rooftop of my Mum's Woolloomooloo flat. Shit flat, amazing view over harbour bridge. We can't see it all from there, but enough and it's very impressive. If you're coming from NZ, don't skimp: see it as the bucket list item it is. Get some nice little chairs and get yourselves settled in very early in the day. Be aware that all the free spots get shut once at capacity and people begin queuing very early so if you're going to do the free thing, get there at STUPID o'clock.

spuddyo Oct 14th 2018 8:59 pm

Top Tip - Get a train to North Sydney and walk down to Lavender Bay, but go there at about 10.00pm. Its free and a lot of families leave after the 9pm fireworks making room for late comers. It is till busy with crowds but we always seem to push our way through to the water front and get a great view of the midnight fireworks. My 70 year old mother came with us last time and loved it. The only downside is pushing and shoving to get back to the station after midnight, but not having to sit and wait all day for 12 hours like some families makes it worth it.

BEVS Oct 14th 2018 9:19 pm

Cheers everyone.

A lot to consider really.

& thanks for the offer Kooky.

paulry Oct 16th 2018 12:13 pm

We've done it twice in recent years and on both occasions we went to the (free) place indicated on the snapshot. It is on a nice moderately shady grassy knoll on a hill with a very good view of the bridge, etc that doesn't get crazily busy and you can lay out a blanket (or even better, one of those sun shelters) on the grass and picnic and while the time away. It's family friendly (alcohol free though you could discreetly pour a drink or two without a fuss), has toilets nearby and is a nice garden type park that you can wander around or walk through down to the waters edge and walk along the shore to the Luna Park. Plenty of places to wander and explore around there (towards McMahon's Point) and has a nice atmosphere. Get there on the train (Milson's Point station). Afterwards the police manage the crowd very professionally and safely. If you've never been before I recommend it. You'll love Sydney, lots to see and do.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...b1490f6a54.gif

paulry Oct 16th 2018 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by spuddyo (Post 12577561)
Top Tip - Get a train to North Sydney and walk down to Lavender Bay, but go there at about 10.00pm. Its free and a lot of families leave after the 9pm fireworks making room for late comers. It is till busy with crowds but we always seem to push our way through to the water front and get a great view of the midnight fireworks. My 70 year old mother came with us last time and loved it. The only downside is pushing and shoving to get back to the station after midnight, but not having to sit and wait all day for 12 hours like some families makes it worth it.

Ha! Pretty much the same area I was recommending :thumbup:

Kooky. Oct 16th 2018 11:25 pm

Paulry's pin at Point Reserve is exactly where I recommended. In that case you'd take the ferry to McMahons Point. Spuddyo's plan is also a good one. It's a shame some of the waterfront round there is private and you can't walk right round.

Kapri Oct 27th 2018 7:18 am

We always stay on Cockatoo island. Party atmosphere but you’re not stuck in one spot. Straight to the tent to sleep after midnight.
We love it, it does cost though