Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney No-Go Areas

Sydney No-Go Areas

Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Sydney No-Go Areas

Well after the riots the other day I now know where the Block is - apparently a no-go area !?

Are there any other areas I should avoid driving through when I come over in 3 weeks for a look around. Not talking about bad areas to live but actual areas on a map that I should drive round if I am going from A to B.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney No-Go Areas

Originally posted by sjn2003
Well after the riots the other day I now know where the Block is - apparently a no-go area !?

Are there any other areas I should avoid driving through when I come over in 3 weeks for a look around. Not talking about bad areas to live but actual areas on a map that I should drive round if I am going from A to B.

Suggest you also avoid The Hothouse and The Resort, too much reality for my liking.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:36 am
Goodpubmisser

Don't worry about The Block too much. I have walked through Redfern a few times and never had any problems. It's just not the type of place that you park your car.

London has far rougher places than Redfern and its just a point of don't draw attention to yourself and don't stare at the natives!

Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser
Don't worry about The Block too much. I have walked through Redfern a few times and never had any problems. It's just not the type of place that you park your car.

London has far rougher places than Redfern and its just a point of don't draw attention to yourself and don't stare at the natives!

Yeah but you've got to watch that ringleader Jamie Durie from The Block, the minute your back is turned he'll be in there ripping up your backyard and demolishing the interior of your house.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:48 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
Yeah but you've got to watch that ringleader Jamie Durie from The Block, the minute your back is turned he'll be in there ripping up your backyard and demolishing the interior of your house.

good point

think punchbowl/cabramatta are best left off the sight seeing as well
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Goodpubmisser

I'm not bothered about rough, I have no intentions of stopping. I have lived in London, Manchester and Newcastle and can spot a rough area well enough, but apart from certain estates, they are not areas you cannot drive through in the day (night time is a different proposition).

Are you saying that I should not drive my Avis rental through the Block at all ? Don't fancy having to argue the dented bodywork was done before I picked it up !!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Suggest you also avoid The Hothouse and The Resort, too much reality for my liking.
Where are these ?? The Resort sounds quite nice - 18 holes of golf by the beach ??
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:18 am
Karma Comedian

The Block

The Resort

The Hothouse
Old Feb 17th 2004, 10:18 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by sjn2003

Every place has it's no go areas. Redfern is no different. It is always having it's problems with riots and fights. Thats what happens when you stick people in a sh!t hole and expect them to live happily ever after.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

The Block

The Resort

The Hothouse

Ah I see - the famous quality Australian TV.

Will not be watching too much of that - too busy out trying to get bricks thrown at me in rough neighbourhoods !!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by j4yne
Every place has it's no go areas. Redfern is no different. It is always having it's problems with riots and fights. Thats what happens when you stick people in a sh!t hole and expect them to live happily ever after.

Maybe. But some places are more no-go than others. I suppose its because I know what I am looking for in the UK but will be a naive tourist in Sydney with a map and a hire car !!
Old Feb 17th 2004, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

piers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant futurepiers_morgan has a brilliant future

Another no-go area is the wife's kitchen when she's in a bad mood. All those new sharp knives ......

Old Feb 17th 2004, 1:21 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Who knows, you might actually find stuff you like in Redfern (Aboriginal art) and Cabramatta (Vietnamese tucker and clothes).

"The EORA Centre of the Sydney Institute, is a unique facility in the State. It was the first educational facility designed and built specifically to provide a centre for the visual and performing arts, for Aboriginal people. It is named to acknowledge the original owners, in the Sydney area, the EORA people."

EORA Centre
Old Feb 17th 2004, 7:54 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The only thing no go about these areas is that you wouldn't leave your car parked there overnight. The only thing bad I have heard about is a handbag snatch. The handbag was on the passenger seat and the passenger side window was open.

I wouldn't walk there after the pubs have shut but I cannot see why anyone not living there would be walking there then.
Old Feb 17th 2004, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Carol in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive heard Geeen Valley out near Liverpool is a place to stay away from. But whereever you go just keep the doors locked and nothing on the seats. Bag snatchers just out there waiting for you!
Carol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.