Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney / national radio stations

Sydney / national radio stations

Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Candy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the roughCandy Groove is a jewel in the rough
Default Sydney / national radio stations

Can somebody give me a run down of the radio stations? Any recommendations?

Been here a couple of weeks now and keep flicking through the stations when I'm in the car but don't know what I'm looking for seems like a lot of adverts and not much music

got teenage kids so need something to keep 'em happy while I drive, something sort of radio 1 style.... they are so not into the soft rock that we keep finding and you may guess by my name that I'm a dance music sort of person

Cheers!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney / national radio stations

Originally Posted by Candy Groove

Been here a couple of weeks now and keep flicking through the stations when I'm in the car but don't know what I'm looking for seems like a lot of adverts and not much music

got teenage kids so need something to keep 'em happy while I drive, something sort of radio 1 style.... they are so not into the soft rock that we keep finding and you may guess by my name that I'm a dance music sort of person

Cheers!
Jimmy Barnes

If you have never heard of him, don't worry you soon will. I think it is law that Oz radio station play one of his songs, Crowded House and INXS at least once an hour every hour.

Is guess that you've switched on to WSFM 101.7 in Sydney. If you've heard this station, you've heard every 'pop' music station in Australia as they all only have 4 CD's.

We have never yet found anyone playing any 'chart' music. They are dire.

Worst about WSFM is the two clowns that the have on in a morning. Jonesy and Amanda - even when they are on holiday, the station keeps playing clips of them. How bad must that make you feel as the DJ on air - you're so good, that you have to play 5 minute clips of the people you are sitting in for at least every 20 minutes!

We listen to UK Internet radio a lot at home, just to get an idea what's going on in the outside world, beyond has been Oz groups.

Sorry my advice is that it does not get any better than the trash you have heard.

Oh and yes, if you hear anyone talking about Jimmy Barnes as one of Australia's greatest pop/rock acts....just remind them that he is a POM

Last edited by Red_V_Roger; Dec 14th 2008 at 10:15 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:32 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

My husband seems to default to 2-dayFM in the car if he hasn't got the iPod hooked up. I've not listened much but I get the impression they only have about 7 tunes, and one of those is Miley Cyrus. Definitely poppy - Pink, Katy Perry, that kind of thing. Might suit teens?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Candy Groove

Cheers!
Found Nova to be fairly bearable - playlist is here. Triple J play dance of a Friday evening/Saturday morning. There's also FBI on 94.5 which is what I tend to tune into - seem to play a lot of dance music.

Other than that - click the radio link in my signature to find out how to download or record Internet radio shows (like Pete Tong's essential mix). Failing that, download shows pre-tweaked here and play 'em on your iPod in the car.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:42 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I listen to the better Radio 1 stuff online.

Thanks to a recommendation from a friend, I've also just discovered ABC Radio National which I listen to online as an alternative to having BBC World on the telly purely for some background noise.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

itsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the roughitsonlyme is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Seasider
My husband seems to default to 2-dayFM..... Might suit teens?
2 day FM are OK for music but not sure if I would be comfortable listening to this station with the kids in the car.... no topic is off limits on this station

I've even had to turn it off some mornings coz it makes me cringe... can't believe they get away with talking about some of the subjects.... I cant even bring myself to mention them on here

anita
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:36 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Neet Neet
2 day FM are OK for music but not sure if I would be comfortable listening to this station with the kids in the car.... no topic is off limits on this station

I've even had to turn it off some mornings coz it makes me cringe... can't believe they get away with talking about some of the subjects.... I cant even bring myself to mention them on here

anita
I know what you mean. I've only heard the breakfast show once when I was going somewhere with my husband but the question the male presenter asked a woman who had given birth to a large baby almost made me faint. In some ways I find this Aussie trait refreshing, in other ways I think, c'mon - there are children out there!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Neet Neet

anita
Hamish & Andy are quite funny in the evening....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:59 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by medwaymark
Hamish & Andy are quite funny in the evening....
Hamish and Andy are great on the way home from work,

Vega is pretty good for music, good variety.

I just keep flicking....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

The breakfast show on Nova (96.9) with Merrick and Rosso and Kate Richie is quite funny and they play pretty good music. Also the wrong way home in the afternoon. It reminds me a bit of Moyles and Mills (although not as good). Have to watch it a bit with younger kids though especially Achmal Sali. He makes me chuckle though.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:11 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Have to watch it a bit with younger kids though
"Do YOU have erection problems" adverts whichever station you choose
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

emigratingherberts will become famous soon enoughemigratingherberts will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MarkMC
"Do YOU have erection problems" adverts whichever station you choose
Thankfully no, I'm a girl
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Hamish and Andy are great on the way home from work,

Vega is pretty good for music, good variety.

I just keep flicking....
Wil and Lehmo were bloody great. Now I'm back to Hamish and Andy.

Now they're not that bad. Hamish is funny as hell. Andy is just a spare wheel. He is not even a straight man for Hamishes jokes. He is just unfunny, but apparently going out with a super model.

Errr, don'r care. Make me laugh. He can't

JTL
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
Thankfully no, I'm a girl
Hear they are advertising something for you now too....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Hear they are advertising something for you now too....
mmmmm - had to switch the radio off very quickly during that advert. Couldn't face explaining that one to my 9 year old son whilst negotiating rush hour traffic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.