Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney and Melbourne in top 20 best cities in the world

Sydney and Melbourne in top 20 best cities in the world

Old May 26th 2010, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney and Melbourne in top 20 best cities in the world

Originally Posted by RedT
Surprised at San Francisco coming quite far down the list, we wanted to move there before we decided on Sydney instead.

Not surprised that London fared badly though, this place is a dump...

Tx
London has it's share of problems but for a lot of folk it is still a great place to be. Moved back here going on two months ago and if your youngish, say under forty and earning, London has a wealth of possibilities.
Do notice a lack of older people,over that age though.
Still being able to attract one of the worlds most diverse populations to come and live here suggests London still maintains it's desirability.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ista
Actually, Australia's done really well - six cities in the top 40 in the world, pretty impressive. And it's great that a big company like Mercer is recognising that as people (and companies) will take note.

I also think that Germany and Switzerland (and other countries) have done really well but since this forum isn't about them, I haven't focused on that!
True,but then i think you will find that Australia and Canada do well every year. With growing inequality i'm a little surprised that Australia,has maintained its position.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by commonwealth
these rankings make no sense. there's probably very minimal differences among the top cities in terms of living standards. as long as you live in these top cities, it's how you live your life that makes the real difference.
Exactly. More a matter of personal taste.Although the Germanic nations score higher, for the moment at least, in the assistance granted to citizens of those countries.Germany in particular.
Old May 26th 2010, 8:35 pm
Ozbound

Ista will become famous soon enoughIsta will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Exactly. More a matter of personal taste.
True although the focus of these rankings is not on 'where would individual people want to live' - it is to give companies a guide as to how much allowances (especially for 'hardship') they should pay their employees depending on where they send them. That's the point of the rankings but I think it does create an interesting talking point generally. Where you, personally, will want to live is a very individual choice and no ranking is going to tell you where that is! They're still quite fun to look at though.
Old May 26th 2010, 11:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It was interesting though that Perth beat Montreal, Canberra and Honolulu.
And Brisbane - which is not surprising.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 26th 2010 at 11:54 pm.
Old May 27th 2010, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

My guess (and having lived there for 7 years), the reason that US cities dont do so well is because

1) Any of the really good cities (SF, Boston, NYC, Chicago) all have very high property prices in the nice areas.

2) Most/All US cities generally have major no-go areas where crime is very high and living standards are very low. Most people just stay away from those areas and so most have good experiences. But they bring the overall picture down.

I personally think there are several great US cities, but I wouldnt be able to afford to live where I wanted there. Thats the case for most people there, and hence the growth of suburbs and small towns, which is where most people live. The vast majority of US population live outside of the large cities, which is the opposite to many developed countries.

If you took a quality-of-life survey for those areas (say nice small towns / small cities close to major met areas), then I think the US would come out at or near the top. IMO.

London also suffers from this issue IMO. If you have the cash, its a very nice place to be. If not, not so much.
Old May 27th 2010, 10:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littda01
1) Any of the really good cities (SF, Boston, NYC, Chicago) all have very high property prices in the nice areas.
This also applies to Melbourne & Sydney.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Don't forget Austria, Canada and New Zealand...

The top 20 countries
Seriously, who would want to live in Austria or Switzerland?? Nice scenery I guess.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
London has it's share of problems but for a lot of folk it is still a great place to be. Moved back here going on two months ago and if your youngish, say under forty and earning, London has a wealth of possibilities.
Do notice a lack of older people,over that age though.
Still being able to attract one of the worlds most diverse populations to come and live here suggests London still maintains it's desirability.
I had a ball in London when I was young and single. You meet some fascinating, diverse people living there, but as you age theres only so many winters/tube/bus travel you can handle, plus I didn't save a penny in the five years I lived there (even though my living quarters were sub-standard, I was a teacher and you get paid next to nothing)
Old May 27th 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by canadaeh
But WA is in Australia, and I know many poeple who'd prefer Moscow to Perth. WA is like Australia's Russia.
According to who?? YOU?
Old May 27th 2010, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bcworld
This also applies to Melbourne & Sydney.
Yes, unfortunately it does, I'm moving to Melbourne in 3 weeks so have noticed that :-)

In that respect, IMO they've just caught up with their 'true value' compared with other global cities, though it may be getting a bit over-egged now.
Old May 27th 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Seriously, who would want to live in Austria or Switzerland?? Nice scenery I guess.
Switzerland is a fantastic place to live, at least the French part is. Amazing scenery, wealth & stability, French attitude to eating and drinking, great sports opportunities, good business environment. Problem is they don't like foreigners coming in much :-)
Old May 27th 2010, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
The survey was on cities, was it not?

And in the top 50, 26 of them are European cities, while only 6 are Australian cities, if you want to include New Zealand (as it’s in the region) then it makes a total of 7.

Out of the top 10 on the survey, 7 are European cities and 1 is Australia.

So yes, I’d say that makes Europe “Better”.
It's normally around the time that some wag tells us that the top cities, and that includes the European ones - may rank high for quality of life, but rate low for actually living. Like, Geneva, or Zuruch, is too clean - or something, and fall of bankers. I'm probably too late.
Old May 27th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, who would want to live in Austria or Switzerland??
Clearly you’ve never been.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:27 pm
Ozbound

Ista will become famous soon enoughIsta will become famous soon enough

I had a ball in London when I was young and single. You meet some fascinating, diverse people living there, but as you age theres only so many winters/tube/bus travel you can handle, plus I didn't save a penny in the five years I lived there (even though my living quarters were sub-standard, I was a teacher and you get paid next to nothing)
Yes, I love London too, I've lived here for six yrs and have enjoyed (most of) it! But it does have an expiry date for some people (including me) and I think that mine is approaching...it's just always SO busy and SO crazy and SO big. I'd like to still live in a city but not such a big one, so you can walk around and enjoy all the things that city life has but not the drawbacks you get with such a big one. Plus one with better weather would be a bonus! Hence why I'm moving to Sydney!

Will always enjoy coming back and visiting London though, I'm sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.