Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Melbourne ???

Sydney or Melbourne ???

Old Mar 31st 2012, 9:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sydney or Melbourne ???

3 mill for Burwood Strathfield is bonkers. A sign of more brass than class.

Originally Posted by NickyC
There are lots of leafy suburbs - but the most obvious are Burwood and Strathfield which have some gorgeous streets with large Federation houses.
The Appian Way in Burwood is the best example - one of the houses in the street sold for over $3m recently. The Boulevard in Strathfield also very nice with some huge houses.

Most suburbs surrounding Burwood and Strathfield are nice - Croydon, Ashbury, Summer Hill etc. All the inner-west suburbs - Annandale, Balmain, Drummoyne, Rozelle are cool and trendy nowadays - not a cheap or nasty one amongst them. All the western suburbs along the Parramatta River are nice - Concord, Cabarita, Newington.

There are pockets of not so nice suburbs around Bankstown, Blacktown and Liverpool. But that does mean that all the other suburbs in between are bad.
Old Apr 4th 2012, 4:02 pm
Banned

emily23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but look into the cost of school fees. Sydney can be very expensive in terms of education. Being up to $6000 a year
Old Apr 4th 2012, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emily23
Hi,

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but look into the cost of school fees. Sydney can be very expensive in terms of education. Being up to $6000 a year
School fees are no different in Sydney to anywhere else in the country.
State schools are free (ish) and private schools range from a few hundred a term through to $30k.

How is that different to anywhere else?
Or are you referring to fees that 457 visa holders only have to pay?
Old Apr 4th 2012, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

State schools are free (ish) and private schools range from a few hundred a term through to $30k.

How is that different to anywhere else?
Or are you referring to fees that 457 visa holders only have to pay?
Plenty of State Schools around here that cost 4K per year... plus overseas trips.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Melbourne has good coffee and f&&* all else.
Originally Posted by commonwealth
Melbourne has more "culture" than Sydney? It's all relative.
(tomorrow the newly renovated Museum of Contemporary Arts will reopen its doors )
I'll jump in here and say that I think both cities have culture....and coffee... Both have iconic and national treasures, and capital-city class venues. There's art galleries in both. I get the Australian and read reviews and there is stuff on in both, make no mistake. Maybe Melbourne is not quite so showy and that rubs off on some of the populace...who knows..

All this talk of Melbourne being the sporting and cultural capital is a tad optimistic...yes it does have the Tennis and Grand Prix...and AFL...but loads of people prefer a Rugby code.

What I like about Melbourne - and I based myself in Sydney for a year - is the way the city is divided into precincts and its easy to get around, CBD, Docklands, Southbank, the latte bohemian North (Carlton), Ozzie's multicutural N, the cool inner NE/E (a bit more colorful in some ways), South Melbourne, the tens of sq kilometers of cafes, tramways, and tree-lined avenues that make up the inner East.....it's hard to explain how attractive Melbourne can be when you submerge yourself.

Alot of talk is made about Melbourne trying to catch up and play second fiddle, elder less glamourous daughter, (pick your metaphor!) etc but most true Melburnians appreciate Sydney's glitz but wouldn't necessarily want to live there, and pass on it. Sydneysiders seem to sling a lot more mud!

I see Sydney as the college girl I met once, and Melbourne the place for me. And she's still yummy..

Most Mexicans would jump to Sydney if they had the cash.
Wouldn't be so sure about that. There are loads of cashed up Melbournians who would not live anywhere else. True Blue and all that.

What the...

Not much of a generalisation there, then!

The population of the Western suburbs is actually closer to 2 million. The area is huge and contains hundreds of suburbs. Some of them are gorgeous, leafy places with large historic houses with median house values of over a million dollars. There are many prestigious private schools in the western suburbs.
The problem is I think is that outsiders listen to Sydneysiders slagging off the West and it all must pail in comparison to the Harbour and N shore. Of course there are nice places in the West (closer to the city) and the Hills District might be something else again, but surely the majority of the West is 'Westie' for a reason. There's a Melbourne equivalent too.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydneysiders are more tribal about where they live in Sydney than they are about Mexico. Someone from Eastern Burbs would rather go to Melbourne than Penwith.

The hills is full of god fearing evangelicals.
The North Shore full of Anglo Knox banking grads and Abbottalikes.
Eastern burbs are latte sippers.
Inner west full of latte sipping hippies.
South West - Maquarie Fields - riots, robberies.
The shire people are just white, weird and no one else is welcome, especially lebs.
The west is flanno country.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I'll jump in here and say that I think both cities have culture....and coffee... Both have iconic and national treasures, and capital-city class venues. There's art galleries in both. I get the Australian and read reviews and there is stuff on in both, make no mistake. Maybe Melbourne is not quite so showy and that rubs off on some of the populace...who knows..

All this talk of Melbourne being the sporting and cultural capital is a tad optimistic...yes it does have the Tennis and Grand Prix...and AFL...but loads of people prefer a Rugby code.

What I like about Melbourne - and I based myself in Sydney for a year - is the way the city is divided into precincts and its easy to get around, CBD, Docklands, Southbank, the latte bohemian North (Carlton), Ozzie's multicutural N, the cool inner NE/E (a bit more colorful in some ways), South Melbourne, the tens of sq kilometers of cafes, tramways, and tree-lined avenues that make up the inner East.....it's hard to explain how attractive Melbourne can be when you submerge yourself.

Alot of talk is made about Melbourne trying to catch up and play second fiddle, elder less glamourous daughter, (pick your metaphor!) etc but most true Melburnians appreciate Sydney's glitz but wouldn't necessarily want to live there, and pass on it. Sydneysiders seem to sling a lot more mud!

I see Sydney as the college girl I met once, and Melbourne the place for me. And she's still yummy..

Wouldn't be so sure about that. There are loads of cashed up Melbournians who would not live anywhere else. True Blue and all that.

The problem is I think is that outsiders listen to Sydneysiders slagging off the West and it all must pail in comparison to the Harbour and N shore. Of course there are nice places in the West (closer to the city) and the Hills District might be something else again, but surely the majority of the West is 'Westie' for a reason. There's a Melbourne equivalent too.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Sydneysiders are more tribal about where they live in Sydney than they are about Mexico. Someone from Eastern Burbs would rather go to Melbourne than Penwith.

The hills is full of god fearing evangelicals.
The North Shore full of Anglo Knox banking grads and Abbottalikes.
Eastern burbs are latte sippers.
Inner west full of latte sipping hippies.
South West - Maquarie Fields - riots, robberies.
The shire people are just white, weird and no one else is welcome, especially lebs.
The west is flanno country.
I noticed the Ivan Gelical mob on the highways out to Windsor/Richmond..

So in Melbourne:

N - Hippy Latte ..as you were!...*Hipster* Citroen driving, Latte sippers, Gay Lesbian. Single parents? Not sure.
Inner E - Old money, urbane.
Ozzie's N (Sydney Rd etc) - Multicultural hipsters
S Melbourne/Docklands - Trendy professionals, not hippies though.

St Kilda/Balaclava/etc ? - The balance of trendy hipsters/professionals

Richmond (E) - Trendy people, who walk funny - they spend alot of their time stepping over needles etc

Middle E, Middle NE - Established white bread, suburban backyard

W - Ferals OR new people on estates
W (Footscray) Relieved people who bought in when it was cheap and still justifying that it was all right and willl be alright.

The bit between E and middle SE - Jews, etc.

Middle SE - Loadsa immigrants..(Yes I am one too - I have my trousers around my ankles once more....ready to receive balance of beatings due)

Outer SE burbs - bogans, CUBs, isolated pockets of established suburbs and villages

Dandenongs - Tree changers, hippies

Bayside N - Rich people.
Bayside Middle.. not quite so rich but fairly swanky people like BuzzyBee thanking their lucky stars that the sun sets into their water etc.

Bayside S - Frankston - weird place. Bad. (Apparently).
Old Apr 5th 2012, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Outer E (past Dandenongs) - noone ever seen coming or leaving.
However I have it on good word: lots of hobby farms.
And of course - the Yarra Valley.

Outer NE - cool sounding places like Diamond Creek, Kangaroo Flats, Christmas Hills. Coldstream! Which DOES get cold. Full of people on hobby farms and acreage (some of which is now burnt).

SW - Geelong. Say no more.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney or Melbourne ???

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;9990454]Bayside Middle.. not quite so rich but fairly swanky people like BuzzyBee thanking their lucky stars that the sun sets into their water etc.[/QUOTE

Swanky hey.....?

A 3 bed wooden old house, nicely refurbished, went for 910k in the next street to us. I could not afford to buy in the area I live in any more.

And yes, I love my water sunsets, something Sydney doesn't get!!! :LOL:

Bayside S - Frankston - weird place. Bad. (Apparently).
Frankston central is pretty average, but there are some gorgeous areas around it. And I can't imagine somewhere with a beach as nice as Frankston is going to stay average for ever.

BB
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=Buzzy--Bee;9991308]
Bayside Middle.. not quite so rich but fairly swanky people like BuzzyBee thanking their lucky stars that the sun sets into their water etc.[/QUOTE

Swanky hey.....?

A 3 bed wooden old house, nicely refurbished, went for 910k in the next street to us. I could not afford to buy in the area I live in any more.

And yes, I love my water sunsets, something Sydney doesn't get!!! :LOL:

Frankston central is pretty average, but there are some gorgeous areas around it. And I can't imagine somewhere with a beach as nice as Frankston is going to stay average for ever.

BB
I remembered what you said about the back blocks of frankston - and I am inclined to agree with you...
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:58 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most of the points on this thread, however the bit about most Mexicans want to move to Sydney BOWLOCKS! Must be that huge chip on my shoulder holding me back lol!

The harbour is a delight and I always get a buzz when Im there, but lets face it I couldnt afford to live ON the harbour lol and I dont think many can. Also the summer climate in Sydney, for me, is horrible, way to humid. So nope, cant say as I'll move ta

Melbourne city isnt as stunning at first glance, but it grow and grows on you and I love the city now.

I'm a tree changer and live in the ranges and love it. I did manage the burbs for 18 months but not my cup of tea
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Sorry have to disagree here. School fees between Sydney and Melb can be very different.

St Pats Strathfield - v gd Catholic boys senior school - approx $1500pa. No equivalent down here. More likely to be looking at $8000pa.

Catholic primaries - couple of hundred in most of NSW incl Sydney. I was paying $2500pa for one in Ivanhoe East. Down here you pay more in the wealthier suburbs in order to subsidise the poorer.

My son is at Melb High School; Victoria's best State boys school - $2600pa. Think Sydney Boys High is about $1000pa. James Ruse in the hundreds.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

OakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
With the income you mention you would live extremely well in the suburb where I live, about 40 minutes from the CBD, established small village feel with a direct train line, good public schools, great community feel amongst the tall gum trees and as far from the beach as the CBD Rents go up to maybe about $500/week for the larger houses with gardens. If you want something a bit more upmarket and closer to the CBD, a lot of expats like the Camberwell/Hawthorn area where childcare will set you back a minimum of $100/day, rents can be as high as $1,500/week (maybe more) for a 3-bedroom house with a garden, and private schools abound. Most inner city areas would be similar within 20 minutes from the CBD.
Camberwell is a lovely suburb, very green and leafy and very safe I might add!. Our front door was accidentally left wide open the whole day by the painters who finished their work and left our place around 11am. We returned at 6 pm to find the front door open and very welcoming. We have no fence in the front either But I guess luck was on our side

There are 3-5 bed houses that can go for between 600-900 p/w. E.g. this nice 5 bed house with a pool house was leased recently for 850 p/w.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...well-407362341

The local Camberwell Primary is a bilingual French-English school and is rated amongst the top 5% of all Vic schools. Far better than some of the overly expensive private schools. We're very happy with the school and it's great when your child is fluent in a language other than English.

Last edited by OakTree; Apr 7th 2012 at 11:12 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Camberwell3124
Camberwell is a lovely suburb, very green and leafy and very safe I might add!. Our front door was accidentally left wide open the whole day by the painters who finished their work and left our place around 11am. We returned at 6 pm to find the front door open and very welcoming. We have no fence in the front either But I guess luck was on our side

There are 3-5 bed houses that can go for between 600-900 p/w. E.g. this nice 5 bed house with a pool house was leased recently for 850 p/w.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...well-407362341

The local Camberwell Primary is a bilingual French-English school and is rated amongst the top 5% of all Vic schools. Far better than some of the overly expensive private schools. We're very happy with the school and it's great when your child is fluent in a language other than English.
I was not saying that Camberwell is not nice. Just that most people on average incomes could not afford $850/week in rent. Add to that the cost of childcare if you have small kids, and you need to be earning in excess of $200,000 to feel comfortable there IMHO. We were paying $94/day for one child when we left and that was 2 years ago. With the costs of childcare rocketing in the last year I'd guess that the price would now be over $100/day! You would not get half of that back with the rebate for full time which for me meant I could not go back to work. We left Camberwelll because there was never a chance in a million years we'd ever be able to afford to buy a house there. Renting is one thing, and theat 5-bed house might be almost affordable at $850/week, but it would probably sell for over $1.5mil and we will never have that kind of money. It was a choice between settling somewhere wher we would have to rent for the rest of our lives or settling somewhere where we could buy a house and have our kids start school where they're going to stay and live for the foreseeable future, therefore not leaving friends halfway through their schooling because of affordability.

I did regret having to leave only because that meant my kids could not go to Camberwell PS. However, they are bilingual anyway and absolutely love where we live now.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

OakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud ofOakTree has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I was not saying that Camberwell is not nice. Just that most people on average incomes could not afford $850/week in rent. Add to that the cost of childcare if you have small kids, and you need to be earning in excess of $200,000 to feel comfortable there IMHO. We were paying $94/day for one child when we left and that was 2 years ago. With the costs of childcare rocketing in the last year I'd guess that the price would now be over $100/day! You would not get half of that back with the rebate for full time which for me meant I could not go back to work. We left Camberwelll because there was never a chance in a million years we'd ever be able to afford to buy a house there. Renting is one thing, and theat 5-bed house might be almost affordable at $850/week, but it would probably sell for over $1.5mil and we will never have that kind of money. It was a choice between settling somewhere wher we would have to rent for the rest of our lives or settling somewhere where we could buy a house and have our kids start school where they're going to stay and live for the foreseeable future, therefore not leaving friends halfway through their schooling because of affordability.

I did regret having to leave only because that meant my kids could not go to Camberwell PS. However, they are bilingual anyway and absolutely love where we live now.
Sorry, didn't imply you were saying Camberwell isn't nice. If the OP is looking at options to rent then this could be a good one

House prices are ridiculous out here, I agree fully. $94 for childcare Thank heavens my kids don't need to use childcare.