Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sydney or melbourne ?

sydney or melbourne ?

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:38 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Talk about a town with a sense of humour bypass.

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Where is that pro-Melbourne joker when you need him for a well balanced argument??
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

TKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really nice

Most people I know fell in love with whichever city they stayed in first. For me, it was Sydney, but I know many people who went to Melbourne first and say Melbourne is best. Bottom line, both cities are great, aside from the overpriced housing, but that's the same all over Australia.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.
You will not see many people actually swimming in the sea off Melbourn's beaches for a good 7 months of the year. The beach i feel is not a huge part of Melbourne life.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by papilon
You will not see many people actually swimming in the sea off Melbourn's beaches for a good 7 months of the year. The beach i feel is not a huge part of Melbourne life.
The beach is a massive part of our lives in Melbourne, walking the dog in the winter or swimming etc in the summer. We probably use the beach for something at least twice a week all year.

But there are so many other dimensions to life in Melbourne, you don't need to go to the beach all the time.

BB
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in shitty Brisbane and been to both Melbourne and Sydney. Melbourne is my choice as better city layout and friendlier people and a nicer looking and feeling city all round
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The beach is a massive part of our lives in Melbourne, walking the dog in the winter or swimming etc in the summer. We probably use the beach for something at least twice a week all year.

But there are so many other dimensions to life in Melbourne, you don't need to go to the beach all the time.

BB
i also live within walking distance of the beach, whilst i rarely use the beach for lying on or swimming i walk,jog,cycle along the path frequently. The point i was trying to make was the vast majority of Melbournians rarely use the beach and it is rarely a major centre of focus of life in this city, vastly different to that of Sydney.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
i also live within walking distance of the beach, whilst i rarely use the beach for lying on or swimming i walk,jog,cycle along the path frequently. The point i was trying to make was the vast majority of Melbournians rarely use the beach and it is rarely a major centre of focus of life in this city, vastly different to that of Sydney.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by markbhx
Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day
Pubs on the harbour are SOOOOOOOOO Chavie. If you want to be the sort of cool dude who uses words like 'funky' & 'dude' & 'awesome', wear a beanie or a trilby, dress all in black, drainpipe jeans, Jarvis Cocker glasses, well it just HAS to be in an alley.