British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sydney or melbourne ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-melbourne-735817/)

IvanM Oct 22nd 2011 1:38 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Talk about a town with a sense of humour bypass.

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 9687363)
Where is that pro-Melbourne joker when you need him for a well balanced argument??

TKline Oct 22nd 2011 8:37 am

Most people I know fell in love with whichever city they stayed in first. For me, it was Sydney, but I know many people who went to Melbourne first and say Melbourne is best. Bottom line, both cities are great, aside from the overpriced housing, but that's the same all over Australia.

papilon Oct 22nd 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 9685501)
Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.

You will not see many people actually swimming in the sea off Melbourn's beaches for a good 7 months of the year. The beach i feel is not a huge part of Melbourne life.

Buzzy--Bee Oct 22nd 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9690056)
You will not see many people actually swimming in the sea off Melbourn's beaches for a good 7 months of the year. The beach i feel is not a huge part of Melbourne life.

The beach is a massive part of our lives in Melbourne, walking the dog in the winter or swimming etc in the summer. We probably use the beach for something at least twice a week all year.

But there are so many other dimensions to life in Melbourne, you don't need to go to the beach all the time.

BB

denzil73 Oct 22nd 2011 11:30 pm

I live in shitty Brisbane and been to both Melbourne and Sydney. Melbourne is my choice as better city layout and friendlier people and a nicer looking and feeling city all round :)

papilon Oct 24th 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9690074)
The beach is a massive part of our lives in Melbourne, walking the dog in the winter or swimming etc in the summer. We probably use the beach for something at least twice a week all year.

But there are so many other dimensions to life in Melbourne, you don't need to go to the beach all the time.

BB

i also live within walking distance of the beach, whilst i rarely use the beach for lying on or swimming i walk,jog,cycle along the path frequently. The point i was trying to make was the vast majority of Melbournians rarely use the beach and it is rarely a major centre of focus of life in this city, vastly different to that of Sydney.

papilon Oct 24th 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9690074)

BB

i also live within walking distance of the beach, whilst i rarely use the beach for lying on or swimming i walk,jog,cycle along the path frequently. The point i was trying to make was the vast majority of Melbournians rarely use the beach and it is rarely a major centre of focus of life in this city, vastly different to that of Sydney.

saveme Oct 24th 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687343)
Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day

Pubs on the harbour are SOOOOOOOOO Chavie. If you want to be the sort of cool dude who uses words like 'funky' & 'dude' & 'awesome', wear a beanie or a trilby, dress all in black, drainpipe jeans, Jarvis Cocker glasses, well it just HAS to be in an alley.