Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

sydney or melbourne ?

sydney or melbourne ?

Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:46 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 623
markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by saveme View Post
I would be more inclined to say that Melbourne is like Sydney without a beach.

Then again, if you live out in the 'burbs, you won't have much time to go to the beach.
The thought of living in the burbs.... shivers down my spine, might as well live in the outback
markbhx is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:43 am
  #17  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,622
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Melbourne's beaches are fine for walking along etc, swimming, you name it.

And stacks of people derive all sorts of pleasure from using them, and living next to them.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:45 am
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: VIC, Australia
Posts: 397
ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.
ProudVIC is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:39 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by ProudVIC View Post
Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.
There are plenty of people who prefer to swim on the safe harbour beaches in Sydney - Watsons Bay, Parsley Bay, Shark Bay (Neilsen Park), Redleaf & Seven Shillings - where I was today in fact - plus other beaches on the northern side of the harbour - Balmoral, Clontarf, maybe - all very safe for children and families, all with shark proof nets.

They can be 'touristy' of course but there's a very good reason for that, just as there's an equally good reason that other beaches are not 'touristy.'

You can usually find a bit of 'culture' around them too, even at Bondi Beach. MY GOD,they even stage PLAYS in the pavillion sometimes, and of course the history of surf lifesaving goes back over a hundred years now.
saveme is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:41 am
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by markbhx View Post
The thought of living in the burbs.... shivers down my spine, might as well live in the outback
Unfortunately, it's all relative. I thought I was a pretty cool dude living in Surry Hills but it turns out that people in Bondi think I'm a 'Westie!'
saveme is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:46 am
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee View Post
What a lot of bullshit.

Melbourne has loads of beaches, I live in the suburbs and walk the dog on the beach most evenings.

Have a look at this thread for some photos of these beaches that "saveme" says don't exist - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527425

BB
I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?
saveme is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:48 am
  #22  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 623
markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by saveme View Post
I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?
Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 22nd 2011 at 12:09 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
markbhx is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:34 am
  #23  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,622
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by markbhx View Post

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them
True, but again, it's about living not about gawking. Without all those things, Sydney needs to be like Melbourne, and of course, it's not a complete oasis.

A lot of people I know knew of Melbourne and saw that as the place to be when I was gunning for Sydney!

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 22nd 2011 at 12:09 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:19 am
  #24  
Victorian Evangelist
 
Buzzy--Bee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
Posts: 7,704
Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by saveme View Post
I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?
What you have left is a place that is not so good for tourist photos but excellent as a place to live long term.

...and I am not here to take tourist photos....

BB
Buzzy--Bee is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:42 am
  #25  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by markbhx View Post

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them
They HAVE started to use the back alleys here for something other than dumping syringes. I keep looking up the narrow lanes off Crown St and seeing lines of people, and wonder what they are doing?

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 22nd 2011 at 12:10 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
saveme is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:05 am
  #26  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 623
markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by saveme View Post

They HAVE started to use the back alleys here for something other than dumping syringes. I keep looking up the narrow lanes off Crown St and seeing lines of people, and wonder what they are doing?
Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 22nd 2011 at 12:10 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
markbhx is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:22 am
  #27  
BE Enthusiast
 
tartankoala's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Balgowlah, NSW
Posts: 664
tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Where is that pro-Melbourne joker when you need him for a well balanced argument??
tartankoala is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:25 am
  #28  
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,555
IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Keep yer flanno On.


West of Oxford St. When you live in Bondi it is hard to leave.



Originally Posted by saveme View Post
Unfortunately, it's all relative. I thought I was a pretty cool dude living in Surry Hills but it turns out that people in Bondi think I'm a 'Westie!'
IvanM is offline  
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:38 pm
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by markbhx View Post

Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day
Well, you are right of course. It IS rather hard to believe that an 'alley' is world famous isn't it?

Mind you, Melbourne likes to boast that it has the best coffee in the world but no sane person would want to go more than a mile for a good cup of coffee, let alone 12,000!

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 22nd 2011 at 12:11 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
saveme is offline  
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 1:32 am
  #30  
Victorian Evangelist
 
Buzzy--Bee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
Posts: 7,704
Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by saveme View Post

Well, you are right of course. It IS rather hard to believe that an 'alley' is world famous isn't it?

Mind you, Melbourne likes to boast that it has the best coffee in the world but no sane person would want to go more than a mile for a good cup of coffee, let alone 12,000!
Melbourne, where people are more impressed if you say you are a Barista than if you say you are a Barrister.

BB

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 22nd 2011 at 12:11 pm. Reason: fixing quotes
Buzzy--Bee is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.