British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sydney or melbourne ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-melbourne-735817/)

markbhx Oct 20th 2011 4:46 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9682617)
I would be more inclined to say that Melbourne is like Sydney without a beach.

Then again, if you live out in the 'burbs, you won't have much time to go to the beach.

The thought of living in the burbs.... shivers down my spine, might as well live in the outback

BadgeIsBack Oct 20th 2011 11:43 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 
Melbourne's beaches are fine for walking along etc, swimming, you name it.

And stacks of people derive all sorts of pleasure from using them, and living next to them.

ProudVIC Oct 20th 2011 11:45 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 
Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.

saveme Oct 21st 2011 6:39 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 9685501)
Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.

There are plenty of people who prefer to swim on the safe harbour beaches in Sydney - Watsons Bay, Parsley Bay, Shark Bay (Neilsen Park), Redleaf & Seven Shillings - where I was today in fact - plus other beaches on the northern side of the harbour - Balmoral, Clontarf, maybe - all very safe for children and families, all with shark proof nets.

They can be 'touristy' of course but there's a very good reason for that, just as there's an equally good reason that other beaches are not 'touristy.'

You can usually find a bit of 'culture' around them too, even at Bondi Beach. MY GOD,they even stage PLAYS in the pavillion sometimes, and of course the history of surf lifesaving goes back over a hundred years now.

saveme Oct 21st 2011 6:41 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9685045)
The thought of living in the burbs.... shivers down my spine, might as well live in the outback

Unfortunately, it's all relative. I thought I was a pretty cool dude living in Surry Hills but it turns out that people in Bondi think I'm a 'Westie!'

saveme Oct 21st 2011 6:46 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9683030)
What a lot of bullshit.

Melbourne has loads of beaches, I live in the suburbs and walk the dog on the beach most evenings.

Have a look at this thread for some photos of these beaches that "saveme" says don't exist - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527425

BB

I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?

markbhx Oct 21st 2011 6:48 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687198)
I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them ;)

BadgeIsBack Oct 21st 2011 7:34 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687200)

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them ;)

True, but again, it's about living not about gawking. Without all those things, Sydney needs to be like Melbourne, and of course, it's not a complete oasis.

A lot of people I know knew of Melbourne and saw that as the place to be when I was gunning for Sydney!

Buzzy--Bee Oct 21st 2011 8:19 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687198)
I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?

What you have left is a place that is not so good for tourist photos but excellent as a place to live long term.

...and I am not here to take tourist photos....

BB

saveme Oct 21st 2011 8:42 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687200)

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them ;)

They HAVE started to use the back alleys here for something other than dumping syringes. I keep looking up the narrow lanes off Crown St and seeing lines of people, and wonder what they are doing?

markbhx Oct 21st 2011 9:05 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687303)

They HAVE started to use the back alleys here for something other than dumping syringes. I keep looking up the narrow lanes off Crown St and seeing lines of people, and wonder what they are doing?

Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day

tartankoala Oct 21st 2011 9:22 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 
Where is that pro-Melbourne joker when you need him for a well balanced argument??

IvanM Oct 21st 2011 10:25 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 
Keep yer flanno On.


West of Oxford St. When you live in Bondi it is hard to leave.




Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687195)
Unfortunately, it's all relative. I thought I was a pretty cool dude living in Surry Hills but it turns out that people in Bondi think I'm a 'Westie!'


saveme Oct 21st 2011 1:38 pm

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687343)

Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day

Well, you are right of course. It IS rather hard to believe that an 'alley' is world famous isn't it?

Mind you, Melbourne likes to boast that it has the best coffee in the world but no sane person would want to go more than a mile for a good cup of coffee, let alone 12,000!

Buzzy--Bee Oct 22nd 2011 1:32 am

Re: sydney or melbourne ?
 

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687729)

Well, you are right of course. It IS rather hard to believe that an 'alley' is world famous isn't it?

Mind you, Melbourne likes to boast that it has the best coffee in the world but no sane person would want to go more than a mile for a good cup of coffee, let alone 12,000!

Melbourne, where people are more impressed if you say you are a Barista than if you say you are a Barrister.

BB


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.