British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   sydney or melbourne ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-melbourne-735817/)

ngsome1981 Oct 16th 2011 12:07 pm

sydney or melbourne ?

Folks,

I have to make decision whether i have to look a job in Sydney or Melbourne. my friend who is in melbourne told me that we should be able to find a job in sydney easier than melbourne.

could you share about the cost of living, and job opportunity in melbourne and sydney ?

Pollyana Oct 16th 2011 12:11 pm

Re: sydney or melbourne ?

Originally Posted by ngsome1981 (Post 9677705)
Folks,

I have to make decision whether i have to look a job in Sydney or Melbourne. my friend who is in melbourne told me that we should be able to find a job in sydney easier than melbourne.

could you share about the cost of living, and job opportunity in melbourne and sydney ?

Knowing what kind of job you are looking for might help :)

ngsome1981 Oct 16th 2011 12:15 pm

I am looking a job as IT profesional (web developer, DBA, System analyst, business analyst)

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9677710)
Knowing what kind of job you are looking for might help :)

Bermudashorts Oct 16th 2011 6:53 pm

I am sure you can find work in either city. Go to the one you like the sound of most.

giz Oct 16th 2011 9:01 pm

Folks,

Its fairly straighforward...

There is definately more jobs in Sydney than in Melbourne (but you only need one).
My estimate is that salaries are 10-15% higher in Sydney but then again so is the cost of living.

Personally, I'm considering a move to Perth, so I'm interested in the same information as you are but in relation to there.

Good luck

saveme Oct 17th 2011 11:08 pm

Two big cities, both with four million people. Try one or try both. There is no right or wrong choice.

ngsome1981 Oct 18th 2011 12:56 am

i have to make decission by jan 2012. some of my friends must go to sydney there are a lot of opportunity, however, must considering the cost of living in sydney which is more expensive than melbourne.

i really confuse sydney or melbourne :huh: any idea cost of living in sydney for single?

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9680453)
Two big cities, both with four million people. Try one or try both. There is no right or wrong choice.

giz Oct 18th 2011 1:02 am

Originally Posted by ngsome1981 (Post 9680572)
i have to make decission by jan 2012. some of my friends must go to sydney there are a lot of opportunity, however, must considering the cost of living in sydney which is more expensive than melbourne.

i really confuse sydney or melbourne :huh: any idea cost of living in sydney for single?

Try this:

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...try2=Australia

Don't know how accurate it is though

MAR001 Oct 18th 2011 9:19 am

For me it's easy;
If you like the beach, then sydney.
If you want to be in a place a bit like London with crazy whether then go for Melbourne.

Pollyana Oct 18th 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ngsome1981 (Post 9680572)

Go back through threads on the forum over the last few weeks, you will find several discussing living costs - food, rent, etc.

Buzzy--Bee Oct 18th 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 9681049)
For me it's easy;

If you like to be able to afford to live near a beach, then Melbourne.

BB

saveme Oct 18th 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by MAR001 (Post 9681049)
For me it's easy;
If you want to be in a place a bit like London with crazy whether then go for Melbourne.

I would be more inclined to say that Melbourne is like Sydney without a beach.

Then again, if you live out in the 'burbs, you won't have much time to go to the beach.

khurram Oct 19th 2011 2:20 am

Folks,

Well its all about luck. There might be 1000 jobs in Sydney but none for you and there might be just 1 in Melbourne which is for you. I came to Melbourne in November last year and found a job in April. I have so many other friends coming to Melbourne and Sydney lately and all of them have got jobs but looking at the job ads and interview calls that I got, I would suggest you to choose Sydney. you can have an idea from www.seek.com.au that there are about 80% more IT jobs in Sydney than in Mlebourne. Sydney is expensive but it also depends upon ur living style. Rents might be a little higher but i know people who r paying about 340$ per week for 2 bedrooms apartment in sydney at a reasonable place and u get a 2 bedroom apartment in a reasonable area for the same rent in Melbourne as well. Transport is cheaper in Melbourne that won't make more than a few dollars a month, but other than that, you get most of the things you need from Coles, Kmart, ALDI etc and they are same in Sydney and Melbourne. So I don't think it will make more than maximum 500$ (I guess it should be lesser) a month difference. But when you are earning good, it doesn't matter. But can't you move after getting a job? you can move to sydney and try finding a job anywhere and move wherever u get a job.

Buzzy--Bee Oct 19th 2011 5:17 am

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9682617)

Then again, if you live out in the 'burbs, you won't have much time to go to the beach.

What a lot of bullshit.

Melbourne has loads of beaches, I live in the suburbs and walk the dog on the beach most evenings.

Have a look at this thread for some photos of these beaches that "saveme" says don't exist - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527425

BB

GarryP Oct 19th 2011 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9683030)
What a lot of bullshit.

Melbourne has loads of beaches, I live in the suburbs and walk the dog on the beach most evenings.

Have a look at this thread for some photos of these beaches that "saveme" says don't exist - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527425

BB

I'd say the bigger difference is Sydney has the beaches with surf, Melbourne has the beaches without (excepting if you go all the way down to Torquay). So with kids the Melbourne beaches might actually be better.

Melbourne doesn't seem to make as much use of the water - boats etc. as Sydney. Different size of bay I guess.

markbhx Oct 20th 2011 3:46 am

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9682617)

The thought of living in the burbs.... shivers down my spine, might as well live in the outback

BadgeIsBack Oct 20th 2011 10:43 am

Melbourne's beaches are fine for walking along etc, swimming, you name it.

And stacks of people derive all sorts of pleasure from using them, and living next to them.

ProudVIC Oct 20th 2011 10:45 am

Plenty of surf beaches on the Mornington Peninsula as well.

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.

saveme Oct 21st 2011 5:39 am

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 9685501)

There's nothing wrong with Melbourne's bay beaches. They are much safer and gentler than Sydney's beaches and there is a much more relaxed and cultured focus around them whereas Sydney's beaches are very touristy, all about surf culture and not everyone is into that.

There are plenty of people who prefer to swim on the safe harbour beaches in Sydney - Watsons Bay, Parsley Bay, Shark Bay (Neilsen Park), Redleaf & Seven Shillings - where I was today in fact - plus other beaches on the northern side of the harbour - Balmoral, Clontarf, maybe - all very safe for children and families, all with shark proof nets.

They can be 'touristy' of course but there's a very good reason for that, just as there's an equally good reason that other beaches are not 'touristy.'

You can usually find a bit of 'culture' around them too, even at Bondi Beach. MY GOD,they even stage PLAYS in the pavillion sometimes, and of course the history of surf lifesaving goes back over a hundred years now.

saveme Oct 21st 2011 5:41 am

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9685045)
The thought of living in the burbs.... shivers down my spine, might as well live in the outback

Unfortunately, it's all relative. I thought I was a pretty cool dude living in Surry Hills but it turns out that people in Bondi think I'm a 'Westie!'

saveme Oct 21st 2011 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9683030)
What a lot of bullshit.

BB

I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?

markbhx Oct 21st 2011 5:48 am

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687198)
I was a bit inaccurate, I must admit. I should have said, 'imagine a city without world-famous surf beaches,(most excluded to dogs too with good reason), a world-famous bridge, a world-famous opera house, and a world-famous harbour, what have you got left?

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them ;)

BadgeIsBack Oct 21st 2011 6:34 am

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687200)

Melbourne has the world famous.........??.........??........?? oh yes the culture and back alleys....... known all over the world them ;)

True, but again, it's about living not about gawking. Without all those things, Sydney needs to be like Melbourne, and of course, it's not a complete oasis.

A lot of people I know knew of Melbourne and saw that as the place to be when I was gunning for Sydney!

Buzzy--Bee Oct 21st 2011 7:19 am

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687198)

What you have left is a place that is not so good for tourist photos but excellent as a place to live long term.

...and I am not here to take tourist photos....

BB

saveme Oct 21st 2011 7:42 am

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687200)

They HAVE started to use the back alleys here for something other than dumping syringes. I keep looking up the narrow lanes off Crown St and seeing lines of people, and wonder what they are doing?

markbhx Oct 21st 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687303)

They HAVE started to use the back alleys here for something other than dumping syringes. I keep looking up the narrow lanes off Crown St and seeing lines of people, and wonder what they are doing?

Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day

tartankoala Oct 21st 2011 8:22 am

Where is that pro-Melbourne joker when you need him for a well balanced argument??

IvanM Oct 21st 2011 9:25 am

Keep yer flanno On.

West of Oxford St. When you live in Bondi it is hard to leave.

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687195)
Unfortunately, it's all relative. I thought I was a pretty cool dude living in Surry Hills but it turns out that people in Bondi think I'm a 'Westie!'

saveme Oct 21st 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687343)

Why the hell would you want to drink in an alley, I can do that on my own with six pack from the bottlo. Give me a pub on the harbour any day

Well, you are right of course. It IS rather hard to believe that an 'alley' is world famous isn't it?

Mind you, Melbourne likes to boast that it has the best coffee in the world but no sane person would want to go more than a mile for a good cup of coffee, let alone 12,000!

Buzzy--Bee Oct 22nd 2011 12:32 am

Originally Posted by saveme (Post 9687729)

Well, you are right of course. It IS rather hard to believe that an 'alley' is world famous isn't it?

Mind you, Melbourne likes to boast that it has the best coffee in the world but no sane person would want to go more than a mile for a good cup of coffee, let alone 12,000!

Melbourne, where people are more impressed if you say you are a Barista than if you say you are a Barrister.

BB

IvanM Oct 22nd 2011 1:38 am

Talk about a town with a sense of humour bypass.

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 9687363)
Where is that pro-Melbourne joker when you need him for a well balanced argument??

TKline Oct 22nd 2011 8:37 am

Most people I know fell in love with whichever city they stayed in first. For me, it was Sydney, but I know many people who went to Melbourne first and say Melbourne is best. Bottom line, both cities are great, aside from the overpriced housing, but that's the same all over Australia.

papilon Oct 22nd 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by ProudVIC (Post 9685501)

You will not see many people actually swimming in the sea off Melbourn's beaches for a good 7 months of the year. The beach i feel is not a huge part of Melbourne life.

Buzzy--Bee Oct 22nd 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9690056)
You will not see many people actually swimming in the sea off Melbourn's beaches for a good 7 months of the year. The beach i feel is not a huge part of Melbourne life.

The beach is a massive part of our lives in Melbourne, walking the dog in the winter or swimming etc in the summer. We probably use the beach for something at least twice a week all year.

But there are so many other dimensions to life in Melbourne, you don't need to go to the beach all the time.

BB

denzil73 Oct 22nd 2011 11:30 pm

I live in shitty Brisbane and been to both Melbourne and Sydney. Melbourne is my choice as better city layout and friendlier people and a nicer looking and feeling city all round :)

papilon Oct 24th 2011 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9690074)
The beach is a massive part of our lives in Melbourne, walking the dog in the winter or swimming etc in the summer. We probably use the beach for something at least twice a week all year.

But there are so many other dimensions to life in Melbourne, you don't need to go to the beach all the time.

BB

i also live within walking distance of the beach, whilst i rarely use the beach for lying on or swimming i walk,jog,cycle along the path frequently. The point i was trying to make was the vast majority of Melbournians rarely use the beach and it is rarely a major centre of focus of life in this city, vastly different to that of Sydney.

papilon Oct 24th 2011 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 9690074)

BB

i also live within walking distance of the beach, whilst i rarely use the beach for lying on or swimming i walk,jog,cycle along the path frequently. The point i was trying to make was the vast majority of Melbournians rarely use the beach and it is rarely a major centre of focus of life in this city, vastly different to that of Sydney.

saveme Oct 24th 2011 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by markbhx (Post 9687343)

Pubs on the harbour are SOOOOOOOOO Chavie. If you want to be the sort of cool dude who uses words like 'funky' & 'dude' & 'awesome', wear a beanie or a trilby, dress all in black, drainpipe jeans, Jarvis Cocker glasses, well it just HAS to be in an alley.