Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney or Melbourne?

Sydney or Melbourne?

Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:47 am
Banned

srdegnan is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Sydney or Melbourne?

Well the title says it all really. Looking to move over here on a PR in the next 18-24 months. So far have been very impressed by Sydney but my "friend in the know" is a dedicated Melbourne fan (planning to visit later in 2006).

Any (sensible and not so sensible) arguements for either city? We'll both be working, myself in IT/Programme Management, my wife as a fairly new occupational therapist - so job prospects are just as important as quality of life in the shorter term ...

Cheers

Stephen
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney or Melbourne?

Def Melbourne- why? Because it is not Sydney!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:59 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Personal choice... everybody different.

My opinion (just mine, and everybody is different!) I LOVE to visit Sydney and think everybody should. To live... Melbourne.

If you like London you will prob like Sydney. If like me you've been 3 times in your life and can't stand it, you'll prob do better in Melbourne.
Also depends on if you have family I think, your income, how laid back you are etc...

Louise
Old Jan 1st 2006, 6:04 am
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by srdegnan
Well the title says it all really. Looking to move over here on a PR in the next 18-24 months. So far have been very impressed by Sydney but my "friend in the know" is a dedicated Melbourne fan (planning to visit later in 2006).

Any (sensible and not so sensible) arguements for either city? We'll both be working, myself in IT/Programme Management, my wife as a fairly new occupational therapist - so job prospects are just as important as quality of life in the shorter term ...

Cheers

Stephen
Sydney definitely, no.... Melbourne, yes Melbourne go there, no hang a sec ....Sydney.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 6:10 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

This quality of life thing is difficult to summarise because its very different depending on who you are and what your personality type is.

Sydney wins hands down for me although i have only ever spent 1 day in Melbourne to be fair.
My quality of life has improved 10 fold since coming to Sydney. mainly because i enjoy conveinience. I have 6 great beaches within 10 mins of home. CBD within 10mins, Opera House and Darling Harbour within 10mins, 24hr supermarket and, well........ i have always loved Sydney!! Cant even put it into words. Just seems to "fit"
BTW..i am a Londoner so maybe its the big city buzz that does it for me. I am sure Melbourne has most of the things i can get here, but from memory i think someone said theres not great beaches near the city... could be wrong
Old Jan 1st 2006, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

eh yes.......... melbourne OR sydney!!
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
This quality of life thing is difficult to summarise because its very different depending on who you are and what your personality type is.

Sydney wins hands down for me although i have only ever spent 1 day in Melbourne to be fair.
My quality of life has improved 10 fold since coming to Sydney. mainly because i enjoy conveinience. I have 6 great beaches within 10 mins of home. CBD within 10mins, Opera House and Darling Harbour within 10mins, 24hr supermarket and, well........ i have always loved Sydney!! Cant even put it into words. Just seems to "fit"
BTW..i am a Londoner so maybe its the big city buzz that does it for me. I am sure Melbourne has most of the things i can get here, but from memory i think someone said theres not great beaches near the city... could be wrong
LL....what part of Sydney are you living in?

SS
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 11:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Londoner too, perhaps that's why I find most areas of Melbourne way too quiet.

Saying that I prefer the cbd in Melbourne.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 11:48 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fraser
I'm a Londoner too, perhaps that's why I find most areas of Melbourne way too quiet.

Saying that I prefer the cbd in Melbourne.

Theres probably truth in it Fraser. When i left London i was adamant i'd had enough of city living. I wanted a quieter life (or so i thought) but after living in 2 "quieter" places i have realised i just cant cope with the boredom of it.
Admittedly i am new to Sydney, but every day i find a new and interesting place, things happening and lots to do 24hrs a day. I feel like i have come alive again.
I am also lucky that although we are very close to the CBD, where we live is quiet and peaceful, so i can dip in and out of the buzz at my own choosing. It really does suit me.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 12:45 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Theres probably truth in it Fraser. When i left London i was adamant i'd had enough of city living. I wanted a quieter life (or so i thought) but after living in 2 "quieter" places i have realised i just cant cope with the boredom of it.
Admittedly i am new to Sydney, but every day i find a new and interesting place, things happening and lots to do 24hrs a day. I feel like i have come alive again.
I am also lucky that although we are very close to the CBD, where we live is quiet and peaceful, so i can dip in and out of the buzz at my own choosing. It really does suit me.
You're very fortunate, sounds ideal.
I'm pleased for you
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:53 pm
Banned

You're very fortunate, sounds ideal.
I'm pleased for you

Do you think you'll stay in Melbourne long term fraser? I know you have had your problems but do you think you'll settle down?
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 10:02 pm

Do you think you'll stay in Melbourne long term fraser? I know you have had your problems but do you think you'll settle down?
Who knows what the future holds. We've always loved Melbourne, still do just don't like where we're living and also building

I always preferred the other side, but Rachel said she didn't like it over there and wanted to come over here, we went back there for the first time yesterday and now Rachel wants to go back over there, bloody women.

We'll probably live in our house for 6 months once it's built and put it on the market as I really can't see us staying in this part of Melbourne as I haven't liked living here at all.

Where in London are you from?
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 10:07 pm
Banned

Who knows what the future holds. We've always loved Melbourne, still do just don't like where we're living and also building

I always preferred the other side, but Rachel said she didn't like it over there and wanted to come over here, we went back there for the first time yesterday and now Rachel wants to go back over there, bloody women.

We'll probably live in our house for 6 months once it's built and put it on the market as I really can't see us staying in this part of Melbourne as I haven't liked living here at all.

Where in London are you from?
I'm from Harrow, well, a small part of it called Pinner is where i grew up but lived in various areas surrounding it. I presume you are from the east side being a hammers man?
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 10:09 pm

I'm from Harrow, well, a small part of it called Pinner is where i grew up but lived in various areas surrounding it. I presume you are from the east side being a hammers man?
Yep, born in Walthamstow lived but lived all over including six years in Stratford but mainly in Barkingside which is the end of the central line.

Pinner, just good friends
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 10:13 pm
Banned

Yep, born in Walthamstow lived but lived all over including six years in Stratford but mainly in Barkingside which is the end of the central line.

Pinner, just good friends

Thats correct. I often used to see them filming in the High Street.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.