Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Melbourne

Sydney to Melbourne

Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney to Melbourne

Can anybody suggest decent motels along the road from Sydney to Melbourne. We want to drive for about 6 hours but would extend it if there was a good hotel that is reasonably priced a bit further on. The one thing we dont want is a dodgy cockroach infected flee pit.
Old Apr 6th 2004, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

I guess nobody has made this journey then!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:24 pm
Badge

I was going to say that I did the whole thing in one fell swoop bu that'

Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:28 pm
Badge

I was going to say that I did the whole thing in one fell swoop but that's not true - I stayed in Bega(?) in NSW, an hr south of Wollongong the first night. Slept, bent double, across the front seats of the ute, head down, out of sight, as I didn't want to lug all my gear in to a hotel - only to have to lug it back out again on what was going to be an early start.

I then took the Princes Highway and drove all day on my own and reached Melbourne 7pm ish.

BM

Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:40 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Sydney to Melbourne

Originally posted by jasonK944
The one thing we dont want is a dodgy cockroach infected flee pit.
Tried Bondage&Buggery?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default About to go.....

About to do the same drive in a fortnight....havent really booked anything yet although would like to stay in Jervis Bay for a night or two.

Can give you more ideas in 3 weeks if that helps any?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jeannie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anybody suggest decent motels along the road from Sydney to Melbourne. We want to drive for about 6 hours but would extend it if there was a good hotel that is reasonably priced a bit further on. The one thing we dont want is a dodgy cockroach infected flee pit.
Can't remember the name of it exactly, but it was part of the Golden Chain group of motels, and it was in Wodonga, just across the border from NSW into Victoria. Lovely family room that slept the four of us, good facilites and was only $110 for the night. It's about 6 or so hours from Sydney and another 4 to Melbourne

Jeannie
Old Apr 7th 2004, 5:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

You did not say which route you are taking......?

basically if not travelling peak times and only need a sleep over most of the motels along the direct route are ok, there are loads of them and most of the people who have traveled this road and slept over would not remember the name!

Cheers
Old Apr 8th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

We are driving down from Sydney to Melbourne this weekend. Coast road on the way down, stopping in Merimbula for a couple of nights (Best Western Sea Spray Motel). Back up the Hume highway and staying over at some motel in Gundagai (sp?).

No idea if these are good places to stop, but I will know when we get back!
Old Apr 8th 2004, 4:25 am
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Driven several times between Melb and Syd, we love stopping at Tathra on the NSW south coast. Good accomodation and great food, plus it's a beautiful coastal town.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 6:53 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

We stayed in caravan sites on the way there and back in the other direction. On the coastal route Mallacoota (was a lovely place) and inland at Albury. We were in onsite cabins and they were fine. But depends what you are looking for. They certainly weren't flea ridden. Very clean and comfortable.

Jo
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

We made the trip and stayed in the Warrina Motor Inn which is located in Wadonga. It was a lovely place - very clean and comfortable with a small pool. We paid $100 for a family of four which over Easter, I thought was reasonable. The phone nos for anyone interested is: 02 6024 2211
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

JayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the roughJayneS is a jewel in the rough

I can't remember anything about the motels so you are probably thinking don't reply then but....I did this drive and 2 places which are a must without a doubt are jervis bay and mystery bay. Fantastic places and the water is crystal clear. Although got chased out of the sea by 4 massive stingrays at mystery bay but never mind that!
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Having driven the coast road on the way down and the Hume on the way back, I probably won’t be rushing to do it again anytime soon. Its way too much time to be spending in a car.

We broke our journey at a motel in Merimbula on the way down and Tarcuttu on the way back. Coast road probably about 1200km, compared to the Hume which was about 1000km.

It sounded like a good idea at the time, but now I understand why I was getting some strange looks from my colleagues when I mentioned it. The main problem with the coast road is if you actually want to see the coast, you have to take some significant detours off the Princess Highway usually adding about 40+km extra.

Unless you are prepared to take 3+ days to drive down, it just seems a bit pointless. Very quickly we wanted to just get there as fast as possible, rather than stopping at another lighthouse on the way.

It will be Jetstar and Hertz for us next time. Still, you have got to try these things. On the plus side, the car seat is now molded to the exact contours of my ample butt.