Sydney Markets

Old Jul 19th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of
Default Sydney Markets

Although we will be living north of Sydney, I used to love spending half a day wandering around the various markets in London.
Does Sydney have similar kinds of places? I have heard of Paddys Market but never been. Are there others? Not small flea market type ones, but big vibrant places?
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Re: Sydney Markets

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
Although we will be living north of Sydney, I used to love spending half a day wandering around the various markets in London.
Does Sydney have similar kinds of places? I have heard of Paddys Market but never been. Are there others? Not small flea market type ones, but big vibrant places?
We went to Paddy's Market when we visited in December. It is okay but not as good (IMO) as Queen Victoria Market. It is cheap though. The sellers are more oriental than anything else and the type of things they sell are quite touristy, clothing, sunglasses, hairpieces etc. They do have a fruit and veg section, but because we were staying in a hotel we didn't sample it. When we went it was manic and quite good fun. It is in a massive warehouse type place. It appeared that a lot of people go there regularly as it did seem some good bargains were to be had. I got some nice costume jewellery from there for $23 and when I went to Accessorize recently, I saw the exact same thing for £25!

Other than that, don't know of any markets. You may want to try an internet search.

Happy shopping

Sarah
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:31 pm
ABCDiamond

There are two Paddy's Markets .

One at Flemington on a Sunday, and the one at Haymarket on Thursday and Friday.

A bit further out is Parklea Markets, My opinion on this one wasn't good

The Flemington one was by far the best of the 3 in my opinion.

Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There are two Paddy's Markets .

One at Flemington on a Sunday, and the one at Haymarket on Thursday and Friday.

A bit further out is Parklea Markets, My opinion on this one wasn't good

The Flemington one was by far the best of the 3 in my opinion.
We went to the one on the Thursday - so that must have been at the Haymarket.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 12:47 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

theres a market out at homebush, dont know the name though
Old Jul 19th 2005, 10:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by soapy
theres a market out at homebush, dont know the name though
I think that will be the Flemington one It does the fruit etc during the week, and general goods on Sundays. Plenty of car parking spaces.

Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter

Hey there. I'm on the other side of the bridge, but a bit of a market lover so I know a few that are worth a look.
The best 'pottering about' market I've found is Paddington which has heaps of great clothes, jewellery etc (but it's dangerously near lots of clothes shops to!!)
I go to the Leichart organic markets almost every Saturday morning. It's mainly food based but there are other bits and pieces too.
In Milsons Point (near North Sydney) there's a pretty good Saturday market too. It's on some Saturdays and I haven't woirked out the pattern it's either once a month or every two weeks.
Paddy's is OK but has more tack than good stuff.
There's also a pretty good market at The Rocks on Saturdays and Sundays and in November (I think) they hold Moonlight markets on Friday nights with live music which usually has a fantastic atmosphere.
Oh no I never realised I was a market anorak before!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:29 am
ABCDiamond

More and more info on Markets

http://www.you.com.au/market-sydney.html

http://www.discoversydney.com.au/things/markets.html

Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Ooh nice one ABC!
(and when I mentioned the Milsons Point Market I meant Kirribilli - 4th Saturday of the month. Now I know! )
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:55 am
Wahroonga Boy

Wahroonga Boy will become famous soon enough

The Balmain market is really good for a walk round. Also, quite nice to get the ferry. My fav one is the fish market. Every type of fish you can imagine
Old Jul 20th 2005, 1:55 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Ooh nice one ABC!
(and when I mentioned the Milsons Point Market I meant Kirribilli - 4th Saturday of the month. Now I know! )
Kirribilli market struck me as being much the same as most Saturday markets.
"Scratchers selling tat to scratchers" as someone once put it.
No offence to tat enthusiasts.
We used to live down the road from them and always knew when they were on cos parking spaces were even harder to find.
There was however one stall I would visit. A young girl usually in the tunnel bit, selling home made pesto sauces. Delicious!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
"Scratchers selling tat to scratchers" as someone once put it.
No offence to tat enthusiasts.
We used to live down the road from them and always knew when they were on cos parking spaces were even harder to find.
There was however one stall I would visit. A young girl usually in the tunnel bit, selling home made pesto sauces. Delicious!

No offence taken . I bought great black and white photo of the Harbour Bridge for my dad there and thats about all I can remember. The in-laws live there so I browse through it when I'm in the neigbourhood but it's not one I'd go out of my way to get to.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Wonderful stuff!

At least i'll have fun finding out which markets i like.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

I love this website. So many helpful people. Thankyou all