Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney - Location location location!!

Sydney - Location location location!!

Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney - Location location location!!

Paddy

You seem to be in the exact same position as me. My office should i take the job will be in Padstow, and i have a wife and 4 year old son.

We are flying over on the 25th of this month for a look around, and the company have put us up in a hotel in Bankstown (not the preferred location) but with it being the Australia Day weekend hotels are all pretty much booked up.

So i'll be able to let you know what my thoughts are on Bankstown.

We have used the real estate websites and like the look of Prestons and Hoxton Park to the West. They might be worth a look if they are not too far from the CBD for your commute

I'll let you know how we get on

Stu
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Have not got a job lined up. I'm waiting for redundancy from my current job (biggest part of IT being offshored to India) and then we're off. The reci next week is to get our visas stamped to prevent them expiring.

I've applied for a couple of jobs but I get the feeling that it wont be very fruitful until I actually get out there.
The reality is that the Eastern beaches and Northern shore are the picks.

Bankstown and the West is a craphole. Apart from the Shire which is all new housing for families.

If you can't rent or afford N/E (or inner) move elsewhere.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Have not got a job lined up. I'm waiting for redundancy from my current job (biggest part of IT being offshored to India) and then we're off. The reci next week is to get our visas stamped to prevent them expiring.

I've applied for a couple of jobs but I get the feeling that it wont be very fruitful until I actually get out there.
What area of IT are you in.

Sometimes its a lot quicker to commute by train than car. For instance my hubby commutes to North Ryde from Umina each day and it takes him about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 and colleagues of his who live reasonbly close take 45 mins so the difference is not a lot. He works in North Ryde which has no direct train.
Forgot to say his commute is out of the rush hour range, but then so is his colleagues.

Jo
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:27 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Paddy

You seem to be in the exact same position as me. My office should i take the job will be in Padstow, and i have a wife and 4 year old son.

We are flying over on the 25th of this month for a look around, and the company have put us up in a hotel in Bankstown (not the preferred location) but with it being the Australia Day weekend hotels are all pretty much booked up.

So i'll be able to let you know what my thoughts are on Bankstown.

We have used the real estate websites and like the look of Prestons and Hoxton Park to the West. They might be worth a look if they are not too far from the CBD for your commute

I'll let you know how we get on

Stu
Thanks Stu, certainly appreciate any feedback from the troops on the ground so to speak!! I could get a stunning place in Prestons/Hoxton Park/Casula but they are just too far. Want to be able to finish work and get home and spend some time with my boy before we stick him under the stairs for the night!!
I am not too worried about rough areas, I grew up in a mining village council estate in Kent (ok no burnt out cars and knifings but the apple orchards were rough!!) and can read the society pretty well but, as we all like to do, I just want something better for my family to reflect what I have achieved.
At the moment all is negative for the south west and if I was to use a UK geographical analogy then Panania etc is to Northern Shores what Birmingham is to Surrey!!! But, as my earlier caveat states, my own suppositions are based purely on ignorance!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Helen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to allHelen-17 is a name known to all

Hello there. I just wanted to say hello. Sounds like we are in a similar boat - my husband is going on a work transfer on the 457 visa, north of the city. So for, we have liked the look of St Ives, Chatswood and Pymble, but we will make the decision when we get there. Good luck to us all!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:35 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen-17
Hello there. I just wanted to say hello. Sounds like we are in a similar boat - my husband is going on a work transfer on the 457 visa, north of the city. So for, we have liked the look of St Ives, Chatswood and Pymble, but we will make the decision when we get there. Good luck to us all!!
They are all nice areas along the rail line is the general opinion. I just don't want to go too far away from the centre, as I said I reckon 20 mins commute is about right. Also, closer to the city the further away from nature and its nasties!! Fully signed up snakeaphobe here!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Originally Posted by joho
What area of IT are you in.

Sometimes its a lot quicker to commute by train than car. For instance my hubby commutes to North Ryde from Umina each day and it takes him about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 and colleagues of his who live reasonbly close take 45 mins so the difference is not a lot. He works in North Ryde which has no direct train.
Forgot to say his commute is out of the rush hour range, but then so is his colleagues.

Jo
I'm a Teradata DBA/Developer. I'm hoping to be a one car family when I get out there and using the train into work.

WW
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Biddle is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are arriving in April with 4 children , can I ask which serviced apartments you have booked as we are currently looking!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:10 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Biddle
We too are arriving in April with 4 children , can I ask which serviced apartments you have booked as we are currently looking!
Dunno, my company is sorting all that out, I just get off the plane with the tribe and a fellow colleague is going to meet us and take us there. Sounds like a plan to me!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Helen-17
Those are very nice suburbs - we looked at them in October and decided on Pymble. 30 minutes commute (driving) from the CBD if you are preared to leave early enough (before 7:00 am) and travel home late enough (after 7:00 pm)
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

Personally, if I only had one child (rather than my good Irish brood of 3 ) I would make very different housing choices to the "leafy suburb, family area, blah blah" that I have to with kids ranging from 4-14. Sydney is an absolutely beautiful city, with lots going on, and with one young child you can enjoy the more urban stuff, cafe culture, free concerts in parks etc. much easier if you live in say Glebe or Balmain, rather than further out on the North Shore. I was reading in the paper recently about the fact that many couples with young children who would usually have moved further out once they started a family are choosing to stay in the city as they don't want to give up the lifestyle on their doorstep. There are lots of lovely (very Sydney) terraces with plenty of space for a family of three, and you don't have to drive for 15 minutes to get to a pub! Drummoyne might also be worth checking out - my sister lived there with two young kids and loved it.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

One thing to consider when looking inner West (Drummoyne, Strathfield etc) is the plane noise. The inner west suburbs tend to be smack in the Sydney flight path. I went to a friend's house in Drummoyne the other Saturday and couldn't believe the plane noise. We rented in the Eastern suburbs (Paddington) for 2 yeras and loved it but when we came to buy we just couldn't afford the Eastern suburbs some inner west too (Glebe) (terrace houses 2/3 beds priced upwards of $1million). We ended up in St Ives with a 3 bed place for $890K but like another poster we miss the vibrancy of the inner suburbs.

Last edited by hubbard; Jan 16th 2008 at 9:51 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:13 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by hubbard
One thing to consider when looking inner West (Drummoyne, Strathfield etc) is the plane noise. The inner west suburbs tend to be smack in the Sydney flight path. I went to a friend's house in Drummoyne the other Saturday and couldn't believe the plane noise. We rented in the Eastern suburbs (Paddington) for 2 yeras and loved it but when we came to buy we just couldn't afford the Eastern suburbs some inner west too (Glebe) (terrace houses 2/3 beds priced upwards of $1million). We ended up in St Ives with a 3 bed place for $890K but like another poster we miss the vibrancy of the inner suburbs.
The city hobo website mentioned that about the planes, its amazing how close they come.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

If you can afford it and still want that city buzz with all the cafes etc look around the Crows Nest (Lower North Shore) area. Also consider Lane Cove- has both pubs and family homes as well.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:07 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Jacque
If you can afford it and still want that city buzz with all the cafes etc look around the Crows Nest (Lower North Shore) area. Also consider Lane Cove- has both pubs and family homes as well.
Thats exactly where we were looking tonight. We are pretty much happy with the prob areas now and just need to do the physical recce when we get there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.